• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 no start issue

C.Fuller305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
We just put a new 2.3 four cylinder into a mustang (yes I know this is the ranger forum but it’s the most information in my opinion) we have wired everything up checked the timing and spark plugs over and over checked battery and starter but when we turn the motor over it sounds like it has a bad battery. The starter turns really slow compared to normal can anyone give any insight please (keep in mind we had this motor completely out of the vehicle so everything comes into effect)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pull out 1 spark plug from each cylinder, easiest ones to get to
Then try starter motor and see if it turns faster, if so your timing belt is not working or not timed correctly, or bad battery cables or starter motor

If it still cranks very slow then put a socket wrench on crank pulley bolt and turn engine, should be EASY to spin by hand with spark plugs out
If it is easy to spin then starter motor battery cable issue

If not easy to spin by hand you have a spun main bearing, what is the history on this 2.3l engine?

C.Fuller305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Pull out 1 spark plug from each cylinder, easiest ones to get to
Then try starter motor and see if it turns faster, if so your timing belt is not working or not timed correctly, or bad battery cables or starter motor

If it still cranks very slow then put a socket wrench on crank pulley bolt and turn engine, should be EASY to spin by hand with spark plugs out
If it is easy to spin then starter motor battery cable issue

If not easy to spin by hand you have a spun main bearing, what is the history on this 2.3l engine?
We blew the motor up so we went to the junkyard and retrieved another motor the exact same put a new head gasket on it inspected everything reset the timing to make sure everything would be good once we got everything installed it was a slow crank we checked battery voltage and wire connection they were good and we pulled the starter out and put a jumper wire on it. The test worked the starter extended and turned (doesn’t necessarily mean the starter is good) so I will test it tomorrow with the instructions you gave me. Also the ground strap that connects from the firewall to the engine block everything I’ve read says that it should bolt to the back of the head however there is no hole for a bolt I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find where it should be so we bolted it to a stud/bolt for the intake manifold could this also be causing a problem?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If it's just cranking slow, did you miss a ground wire to the engine? Don't know how Mustang's are but my '90 Ranger has the battery ground wire go to the frame then to one of the starter bolts.

Also check for voltage when cranking, I'll assume it has the normal starter relay on the fender or similar, when cranking check either of the big terminals for voltage to chassis ground, anything under about 9 is questionable, if one side is lower than the other it could be resistance on the relay...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals