• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0 coilovers

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm buying the camburg 6.0 kit in a few days and I'm ditching the torsion bars for 2.0 coilovers. I don't know jack about them other than I'd need an 8" shock and the spring length should double the travel so I need 16" springs but my questions are about spring rates, I know I should post this on dr but I'm lazy and I can nav this site easier. what are the opinions on running dual rate springs? I figure while I'm at it and going this far into it why not get dual but I dont know what springs are successful. It's still gonna be a dd but it's on it's way to a luxury runner so I'm not worried as much about shocks fading and burning oil and stuff like that cuz I'm not gonna race. at least I dont plan on it. also I wanna put in compression adjusters so I can worry less about valving. any input would be appreciated.

disturbedgoat21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 For now
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
none
i have dual rated 16in foa coils in the front of my ranger i think its 350/400 ride hight is real good and road driving is good havent taken it on the high way or off roading yet

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm buying the camburg 6.0 kit in a few days and I'm ditching the torsion bars for 2.0 coilovers. I don't know jack about them other than I'd need an 8" shock and the spring length should double the travel so I need 16" springs but my questions are about spring rates, I know I should post this on dr but I'm lazy and I can nav this site easier. what are the opinions on running dual rate springs?
An 8" shock is too short to effectively run a dual rate setup. Skip the 2.0" shocks and go for 2.5" shocks if you can afford it. 2.0" shocks are generally used as a coil carrier if a 2.5" or larger bypass shock will be used in conjunction with the coil over shock.

I ran 700# coils on my Dixon kit Ranger. They were a touch stiff. Quite a few people run 650#'s on an a-arm Ranger setup. This is assuming a 3.0" coil (for use with a 2.5" diameter shock). I am not sure if the rating changes with a smaller diameter coil. I had to run 800# coils on the Ranger when I had the RCD kit. Shock geometry and leverage ratio play a big role here.

I figure while I'm at it and going this far into it why not get dual but I dont know what springs are successful. It's still gonna be a dd but it's on it's way to a luxury runner so I'm not worried as much about shocks fading and burning oil and stuff like that cuz I'm not gonna race. at least I dont plan on it. also I wanna put in compression adjusters so I can worry less about valving. any input would be appreciated.
I am not sure what you mean by "compression adjusters." Bypass shocks will allow you to externally adjust compression rate, but I have not seen a coil over shock that allows for external adjustment.

Good luck.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go with a 2.5 but I don't think I'd be able to fit one. I figured I could only run one spring but it was worth asking. I don't wanna run bypass or anything extreme like that, I figure a coilover is extreme enough for a mid-travel truck. I understand how much geometry effects the shock I just wanna ball park it so I can buy what I need once. A compression adjuster, from what I understand, works similar to the valving a bypass but not as accurate or tune-able. It's a dial at the end of the reservoir that you can turn and it has 20 settings I believe from stiff and soft, like on a mountain bike. so I'm pretty set on king 2.0's and it's looking like 600 or 700 springs seem to be the norm from the forums I've found so does anyone know a good place to buy?

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went through filthymotorsports and I'd definitely recommend them. I got a call the next day asking about more detail of what I'm doing with them and he helped out with setting them up. because king and camburg are so out there they've got charts to valve them to rangers running these mid/long travel kits

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals