• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As the motor turns the contact plate(and transfer case shift rod) the GEM can keep track of its progress
2H>edge1>2h-4h>edge2>4h
Each is a "point" on the rotation, the edges are "waypoints" as is the 2h-4h
2h is the start and 4h is the destination, the waypoints tell the GEM things are going OK

So its just a measure of control so if GEM doesn't "see" one of the "points" it will know something is wrong and stop the motor

PeteFleck

Reaction score
So according to the table.. my contacts are currently in the Edge 4 position, but the truck is in 2WD.. so I need to reposition the plate on top of the motor so that the contacts read correct for the 2WD position?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So right now A B and C are shorted to yellow/white?

I would pull out the shift motor again and then manually power the shift motor to confirm all 9 settings
Because the shift motor shouldn't go on to the transfer case shift rod in the edge 4 position if transfer case is in 2h

I just found this one, but it just has the 2h, 4h, and 4l, no edges
001 4wd contacts.png

And it is different than the first one??
So maybe Ford changed the pattern at some point
The first one was for the 1983-1994 4x4 controller modules
The one above didn't list any years, but the shift motor from any year seemed to work on any other year so I am a bit confused
As far as I know a 1990 shift motor would work in a 2005 vehicle, but maybe it doesn't

PeteFleck

Reaction score
It is very confusing! I’ll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Cheers Ron!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is

In 1997(well 1995-2000) most common 4x4 issue with flashing 4WD light would be
blown fuse
failing shift motor
Bad dual relay box, don't hear a "click" behind radio
Bad GEM(4x4 controller), also don't hear a "click" behind radio

Auto hubs or PVH can also fail but.....no flashing light, transfer case shifts fine but front wheels don't lock

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Hey Ron..

Going through that list..

I know it is not a fuse, I’ve double and triple checked

I know its not the relay.. I’ve tested with 9V battery, and I can hear it clicking away

The GEM seems to be functioning.. clicking behind radio

I have manual locking hubs

But the shift motor was what I suspected initially, ordered a new one and have had question marks over it since it arrived.. extremely tight on the shaft, and came out of a suspect looking box??

I will pull it out again tomorrow and probably try and manouvre the contact plate so it reads as per the table.. will let you know how I get on. I also contacted the parts store and had them get another shift motor on it’s way up here under warranty.

Thanks again for all your help! I think we will eventually get to the bottom of this!

Best,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there shouldn't be any surprises in Rangers electric 4x4 system, just has the 4 parts
dash switch
GEM
Dual relay
Shift motor

1983-1994 just had 3 parts as did 2001-2011, they didn't have the external dual relay box, and used a 4x4 controller instead of Body computer(GEM)

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Evening Ron,

It’s over! The sleepless nights can stop!

I warrantied the ‘new’ shift motor I had bought and the replacement arrived today... plugged it in, turned the switch and bam.. I’m cruising in 4x4 again!

What a relief. I’ve learned a lesson or two over the course of this ordeal, most importantly never to assume something that is a ‘new’ part is a good part.

Thank you so much for all your help and your incredibly patient responses to my endless queries over the past month. It is hugely appreciated.

Until the next time & best of the season to you,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work (y)

Thanks for the update and "the FIX"

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Morning Ron.. on an unrelated topic.. two questions.. my Ranger should be OBD2 compliant? Correct? If so, do you have a particular brand/model of scan tool you would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had, and still have, a mini elm327 for quite a few years, Bluetooth reader, gets codes, and clears codes, no complaints, free Torque Lite APP worked fine, never needed the $5 Torque Pro APP

But recently got a Bluedriver because it can also read transmission codes and "most" ABS codes, which the elm327 couldn't
Worked fine but only used it a few times

Also got an extension cable with the elm327 which I have needed to use a few times as some vehicles OBD2 plugs were in panel openings that were to tight for the bluetooth unit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals