• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Would you be open to me giving you a call?

If so, what is the best number?

Thanks,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry no, and no emails
Prefer forum Q & A

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Just going over your reply from earlier.

The shift motor is a new unit, bought and installed when the 4x4 first failed as it seemed the most likely culprit, so it seems unlikely that it is the faulty component? Also, I have bench tested it and it does turn both ways with 12V applied.

When it is all hooked-up but detached from the transfer case, it does initially move a little if I operate the switch, before stopping and flashing the dash lights. This seems to be concurrent with the GEM not ‘seeing’ the position of the motor. However, if the shift motor is new (and so we assume internally is is in good shape.. the contacts meet contact plate cleanly etc), could the fault not lie with one of the 5 contact/sensor wires between the 4x4 module/relay and the shift motor?

Would a resistance test or a continuity test be worth doing on these wires. I would connect at one end where the harness plugs into the 4x4 module/relay, and then make-up some long jumper cables to enable me to connect to the end of the harness underneath the truck where it plugs into the shift motor wiring.

Does that sound like a sensible approach? I think it is what you were suggesting at the end of your last post on the 10th in fact!

What readings would I be looking for on those sensor wires for resistance?

Thank you once again in advance,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well "new" now-a-days just means "NEVER EVER Tested", so grain of salt on any new part

So the contacts on the "new motor" could be the issue if motor moves

In the 1997 4WD diagram you can see that the yellow/white wire is the common wire for the contacts

Yellow/white wire connects to A, B, C, or D wire depending on contact plates position

I do not know what contact(A, B, C, or D) should be closed for each position, 2wd, 4high or 4 low
But if vehicle is in 2WD now then its contact doesn't seem to be working or GEM would move motor farther

In current position yellow/white wire on Motors connector should show 0 ohms(continuity) to A, B, C, or D, should be just one of these

Yes, you could use a long wire and test continuity for each vehicle side wire to GEM connector
But it should be a problem with the yellow/white wire or the 2WD wire(A, B, C, or D), as GEM wouldn't know there is a problem with the other 3 wires until motor/plate moved past that spot and didn't find it

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Could you send me a link to the wiring diagram you’re using?

Cheers,

Pete

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Thanks Ron,

I will do some testing tomorrow evening and let you know how I get on!

Cheers for now,

Pete

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Just so I know my thinking makes sense..

With the switch in 2-wheel drive, if I test for continuity at the GEM, I should find it between the YEL/WHT wire (pin 12) and one of either A,B,C or D (pins 18,19,20,21).. if there is no continuity on any of those, then the problem lies with the contacts in the ‘new’ shift motor?

Is that thinking correct?

Thanks,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would be correct, if no connection between the yellow/white and A, B, C or D then either wire issue or contact issue

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Afternoon Ron,

So.. I did some continuity testing..

Both at the GEM plug-in, and also on the shift motor wiring harness, I found that I had continuity between the yellow/white wire and three out of the the four contact wires.. purple/yellow, white, and brown/white wires..

Any way of knowing if that is correct for 2WD?

Cheers,

Pete

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EDIT I thought I posted this yesterday

OK found this: https://www.therangerstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/transfer_case_shift_motor_pin_readings.png

Looks like they are in order A, B, C, D

So from yellow/white TO

In 2WD(2h) only 2 should be shorted(continuity), A and C TO Yellow/white
If on the Edge of 2h then 3 would be shorted, A C D

Between 2h and 4h A and D shorted
ECT..........

So maybe the shift motor can't turn far enough to 2h so contact cover needs to be adjusted so it shows just A and C shorted, instead of being on Edge 1

GEM may be trying to do that, turn shift motor "back" to 2h, and can't so motor shuts off, but just guessing

PeteFleck

Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Once again, I’m not sure where I would be without your help! Thank you.

I will be honest though, I am a little confused by the table in the link above?! What is meant by Edge 1, Edge 2 etc?

If you were me, would you replace the shift motor again? It is under warranty, and I have contacted the parts store who have said they are happy to get another one for me and replace it. Or, would you have a tinker with the contact cover?

Thanks again,

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals