• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ranger engine swap

97ranger22bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recently got 1997 Ranger with a 2.3L and a manual transmission. I was thinking about updating the engine to the 4.0 L V6 for a bit more power. I also thought that since it was one of the stock options, the swap would be more straight forward then going with a 302 block. Would that be the case?

Also, can I use the same transmission with the bigger block?

97ranger22bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Was looking at these two options:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The bell housings are for sure different. You'll need a transmission too.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Best find a donor. Gonna need at a minimum, engine, transmission, PCM, and some wiring.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swapping engine sizes in Computer controlled vehicles is the same work regardless of new engine size

Need engine and transmission
Computer for that engine size and its wiring harness
Splicing in 12v and ground, harness's are never quite plug and play, lol
Exhaust

Now since you can buy a 1997 4.0l Ranger factory built the engine swap of a 2.3l Ranger to a 4.0l becomes a labor of Love and not really practical
Fixing up the 2.3l Ranger and then selling it, then buying a 4.0l Ranger would be cheaper in most cases, certainly less work, lol

The 1983 to 1992 Rangers and BIIs were a more practical swap to 4.0ls since they used older computer systems and less powerful engines

1997 V8 swap would be better since its about the same work and Ford never made V8 Ranger models for public sale, they did make prototypes
So a V8 Ranger would be special, in my opinion

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

97ranger22bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got it. The 302 is the recommended block if going the V8 route, right? From what I read that's the biggest that'll fit without cutting?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While @RonD might consider swapping 2.3 for 4.0 a labour of love; I consider it a great learning experience for a neophite. You learn all about pulling transmission, pulling engine, wiring, rerouting intake & exhaust with something you can always look at what the factory did. And maybe you do the 4.0 SOHC from a slightly newer Ranger/Explorer into your '97 for almost as much power as a V-8/less weight/better gas economy.

Then once you have skills/tools, branching out to something factory never sold. I hate to see projects listed as started but were too ambitous so never finished.

Even the 302 will require some minor cutting of the HVAC.

302 is recommended as it was found in Explorers - which were bascally Ranger SUVs at the time. So, a lot of the same year generation Explorer just transfers into the Ranger. It still not just drop and drive, but there are few enough issues (and most of those are well documented) that your chances of success are good.

351W has some minor issues with the steering (and a little more issue with the HVAC).

Any other engine requires more work - wiring, intake, exhaust, etc. (not something you want to do for your 1st swap).

97ranger22bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
While @RonD might consider swapping 2.3 for 4.0 a labour of love; I consider it a great learning experience for a neophite. You learn all about pulling transmission, pulling engine, wiring, rerouting intake & exhaust with something you can always look at what the factory did. And maybe you do the 4.0 SOHC from a slightly newer Ranger/Explorer into your '97 for almost as much power as a V-8/less weight/better gas economy.

Then once you have skills/tools, branching out to something factory never sold. I hate to see projects listed as started but were too ambitous so never finished.

Even the 302 will require some minor cutting of the HVAC.

302 is recommended as it was found in Explorers - which were bascally Ranger SUVs at the time. So, a lot of the same year generation Explorer just transfers into the Ranger. It still not just drop and drive, but there are few enough issues (and most of those are well documented) that your chances of success are good.

351W has some minor issues with the steering (and a little more issue with the HVAC).

Any other engine requires more work - wiring, intake, exhaust, etc. (not something you want to do for your 1st swap).

@don4331 I really appreciate your thoughts. You're exactly right, to me this truck is a platform for growing my skills, so starting out with, can I get the current engine (2.4) to run; after that moving on to a different engine but not a true 'custom'. Like you said, since the 4.0 was an option it's a step up to swap the engine but does not require as much custom work.

So my long term plan is to get the truck running with the power plant that it has and then later work on a 4.0 swap/rebuild to grow skills. Also, I don't think my wife will let me buy a cherry picker quite yet lol.n

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals