• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 4x4 Balljoint and u-joint replacement

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
First of all this job would not worry me so much if everything was not as rusty as it is. I my 95 used to be a michigan or minnesota truck........

Everything looks so rusty it gives me anxiety just thinking about working on the suspension. Ive already replaced the rear shackles and hangers just 2 weeks after I bought the truck. That was four hours of nightmare. Im afraid the front end will be much longer... I just have some questions, I have searched, watched youtube videos but I want to confirm with some people with experience.

I know I need to replace atleast one balljoint. I figure while I am doing the damn thing I will replace all 4 just for piece of mind and getting it out of the way. The same with the u-joints, Im gonna be half way there so I might as well because visually they look like hell, Everything still has the rubber boots, but it just looks terrible and suffering........Keep in mind this truck only has a 120k on it........

My questions......

After removing the knuckle and spindle, will the front axles just pull out? Or is there a c-clip holding them in inside the pumpkin?....

Keep in mind this is rusty. I am very tempted to buy a set of used knuckles with spindles and just having a shop press the old balljoints out of the used knuckles and pressing the new ones in. I know I need a new drivers side spindle.......Long story...For about $200 I may be able to save a couple hours and a headache with used knuckles and spindles...

Has anyone used the Harborfrieght balljoint press kit? The kit costs less than paying the shop to do the job once. But is the kit worth the $60 if it is a pos.

Sorry if there are any run on sentences. I am not looking forward to the job, I know it needs to be done, I can do it, but it will be a major test of my patience........Either way there is no way in a hell I will pay a shop to do the work.:icon_cheers::bawling: Unless of course I break down and get a loan for half the value of the truck lol.............No gonna happen

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I used the HF press to do mine, and my U joints and it helped a lot, it doesn't press straight but was a life saver... I only paid $10 at a garage sale for mine though...

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I used the HF press to do mine, and my U joints and it helped a lot, it doesn't press straight but was a life saver... I only paid $10 at a garage sale for mine though...
I figure if I can use it twice it is worth the money. I have done ujoint and ball joints with a sledge hammer, vice and sockets. It worked but it sucked. Actually that is the only way I have ever done ujoints. But that was when my truck was a second vehicle. I cant afford to wait for factory parts now. Everything has to be done over the weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals