• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger 2wd > 4X4 conversion Questions

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Hey folks I'm wanting to turn my 2wd into a 4X4. Here is what I've got. 1994 Ranger Ext. cab, 4.0, 5spd (std) 2 wheel drive and a 1994 Ranger STX Reg. cab, 4.0 A4LD, 4X4. I'm thinking all the hard parts, IE;front/rear ends, suspension, switches and so forth will simply swap over.

I'm wanting to have a 1994 Ranger Ext cab 4.0, 4X4 w/5spd when I'm done.

A few questions.

1.Which ??computer?? will I use or will I need one from a 94 5spd,4X4 truck.

2.I'm wanting to keep/use the 5spd, Can I pull the tail housing from the 5spd and bolt it to the transfer case?

Just fill me in on what I'm going to need to. It seems like it should be fairly straight forward. It's going to be a while before I do this, I'm just getting all my info before I start.

All information you folks can offer is appreciated!!

...cougar...

P.S. Any questions, just ask.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh boy, oh boy, where to start with this one. This is in fact a topic we have covered at length and in depth, as well as ad nauseam.

Lets start with the small problems and move up.

Drive shaft:

Obviously the rear will need to be replaced with one from the proper drive train configuration and wheelbase for your application. You may or may not already have the correct one.

Wiring:

The wiring in the dash should be present, just plug in the switch. I am uncertain if the wiring and plugs for the 4x4 control module and the relays will still be there, and I am certain the plug for the transfer case shift motor will not be present in the under-body harness. Since you already have a 4x4 truck you should only have to swap harnesses, doable but somewhat time consuming.

Of course all of that would be moot if you got a manual transfer case, which would be my preferred route if I was attempting this same swap. It's much more reliable, and will greatly simplify that portion of the job. The worst thing there is that the manual units are highly sought after and becoming rare.

Transmission:

You cannot take a 2wd transmission, remove the tail housing, and bolt a transfer case to it to make it 4x4. That's not how this works. On the 4x4 version there is an extension housing that bolts in place of the tail housing, lengthening the case. You will need one. Also the output shaft is not the same diameter or length between the two. Were you to simply acquire an extension housing, bolt it to your trans, and add a t-case the output shaft of the trans will not engage the t-case input as it is too short and too narrow. The transmission will need to be completely disassembled, and the output shaft replaced with the proper unit.

Frame:

The frame on your 2wd truck is wrong. The Ranger frames are not the same between 2wd and 4x4. The front section, where the front axle beams bolt to the frame is narrower, by too much to allow simply bolting in the 4x4 axle. To support this narrower configuration the engine cross members are different as well. The 2wd is shorter, since the rails it welds to are closer together, and it slings lower, enough to cause clearance issues to the front axle.

With the parts you have listed as having on hand the easiest, most time and cost effective way to go about what you have proposed is to go to a junk yard, pick up a 4x4 manual trans from a 4.0, and throw it in the STX and swap over the needed parts (pedal brackets and such) from your existing manual trans truck. Unless there is something else horribly wrong with it, like extreme frame rot, that makes it unsuitable for use as a whole vehicle.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Not to disagree with you but I had thought that the general consensus was that you could just swap the engine cross member from the 2wd to 4wd and everything else would bolt right up.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
"Just swap" makes it sound way easier than it is, but ive heard engine crossmembers will swap as well. I dont have any first hand experience as far as that goes, but adsm is dead nuts on as far as the trans is concerned.

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Well ! I'm not sure how to respond here. Normally I would respond to each post in the order it was made. This time I won't. Since there seems to be a difference of opinion on some things I'll continue to follow along soaking up the info and see what comes of it. Maybe there are some folks that have been there done IT :) ! Please keep your knowledge and discussions coming because "Knowledge that's shared is Never lost" ! ...cougar...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not to disagree with you but I had thought that the general consensus was that you could just swap the engine cross member from the 2wd to 4wd and everything else would bolt right up.
This is true. Sort of. And it does not contradict what I already said about the frame being wrong.

The only thing wrong with the frame is that it's too narrow and the cross member is the wrong shape. This particular cross member is pretty much all that holds the rails at width at that point in the frame, so swapping it would correct the frame width issue.

Now for what actually has to be done to "just swap" that piece.

The cab, engine and front beams must be removed, then the rivets that hold it in place can be ground or burnt out. IIRC the piece in question can be tack welded to the frame rails as well, on some years. All of that has to be dealt with on both the donor and recipient.

Then of course you need to make sure the new one is properly secured with high-grade hardware and lock nuts and the torque rechecked periodically.

As I said before, if the OP has a truck that is usable and already meets all of his criteria except for the trans type it is going to be far easier to swap the desired trans into that truck rather than use it for donor parts to change the drive-train type of a different truck.

The alternative would be an SAS. That would be far less work than trying to make a 2wd TIB into a 4x4 TTB. It would require more parts be purchased, but would be less work since everything needs custom fabbed anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals