• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford ranger air intake problems

Mikeosaji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
So after I put an aftermarket cold air intake on my truck it started to lose almost all rpms limes would press on the gas and barely get any acceleration. I never did reset my cpu in my truck, but does anyone else have a clue why it would do that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All fuel injected Rangers(1986 and up) have a stock Cold air intake, so you didn't install a cold air intake you just changed to a different cold air intake

No computer reset would be required

Did the MAF sensor get put back on?

The Ranger air filter and box had 200% of the air flow required by the engine, so filter could get pretty dirty before engine performance was effected
Are you using a smaller "cone" type filter?, if so remove it and see if power is restored, you can drive without a filter to test if that's the issue
And don't use "oil bath" filters, they foul up the MAF sensor

There is no real benefit in changing to a different cold air intake, except for looks, cause they can look way better than stock air plenums, lol
But they do need to preform at least as well as stock intakes or there would be problems

One tell tale of a problem, is sound, i.e. if you can now HEAR air being sucked in when you REV the engine, that means there is turbulence, so restricted air flow somewhere in the new system

Mikeosaji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
All fuel injected Rangers(1986 and up) have a stock Cold air intake, so you didn't install a cold air intake you just changed to a different cold air intake

No computer reset would be required

Did the MAF sensor get put back on?

The Ranger air filter and box had 200% of the air flow required by the engine, so filter could get pretty dirty before engine performance was effected
Are you using a smaller "cone" type filter?, if so remove it and see if power is restored, you can drive without a filter to test if that's the issue
And don't use "oil bath" filters, they foul up the MAF sensor

There is no real benefit in changing to a different cold air intake, except for looks, cause they can look way better than stock air plenums, lol
But they do need to preform at least as well as stock intakes or there would be problems

One tell tale of a problem, is sound, i.e. if you can now HEAR air being sucked in when you REV the engine, that means there is turbulence, so restricted air flow somewhere in the new system
Yes the maf has been on it was very undrivabke I had to put the old one back on I was using a cone filter yes it was a shorter one not a long one. I just wanted to know what the problem was I took it off and don’t plan on using another one until I supercharge or turbo my truck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would guess restricted air flow was the problem

Engines run on air with a little fuel added, but air is the major part

If you want extra power from an engine you give it more air, bigger cams, turbo chargers, super chargers don't add more fuel, they add more AIR to get more power

A 5 liter engine has more power than a 4 liter engine because it can use more AIR, 1 more liter of air

NOX(Nitrous oxide) injection adds more AIR

AIR is what makes an engine GO :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals