• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 4x4 Axle shaft Problem

94Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone! I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L manual over Easter and I'm trying to get everything to work. The one major issue is the 4x4. The switch was not working so I bypassed it by turning the T-case rod to 4hi and putting the shift motor back on. It works but for some reason the passanger axle can be push back out of the manul hub. Like I can push it almost to where it goes back into the knuckle. It still grabs on the locker but barley. There no broken parts on the axle and I can hear the snap ring holding it In the diff but I'm wonding what keeps the axle in the hub or what prevents it from walking backwards toward the diff?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

94Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There should be a c-clip on the axle inside the locking hub cover that holds the axle out

Seen in this auto to manual hub conversion: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.shtml

There are two axle shafts(really 4, lol) on the passenger side, a snap ring may be missing where the axles meet allowing the movement, there would be some play but reads like more than usual

Diagram here shows the 2 axles(75 and 68), page 2: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/Dana_Ford_35.pdf

94Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Okay great! This is what I needed! that C Clip is gone that's why is keeps walking out. I have a few more questions.
1. I also can't get the inner bearing out of the rotor. Does it need to be pressed?
2. It seems that there is a lot of rust on the spindle. It has a lot of pitting. I looked around and it seems its really hard to find a new spindle for this gen of ranger. If anyone has some part # or places I could look?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Both inner and outer bearing races can be removed, no press is needed to remove or install

Never looked for a spindle for my 1994 but they would be expensive, if available
Should be some numbers in above diagram link

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals