• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 ranger specs

DarthMaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone I’m new here and also new to rangers. I bought on a little while back and have been trying to find as much info on it as I can but I can’t find much. I have a - ( 1989 Ranger XLT, regular cab, 2.9L V6, long bed, RWD. I honestly want to find out as many Specs I can. So if anyone has that knowledge I’d love to know. Also more specifically the Payload and Tow capacity. Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1989 Ranger brochure is available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/311636459178
$6.25

We don't have one in our Brochure link so if you wanted to take pictures of the pages and upload them that would be great
Brochures list options and trim levels so you can see what you have and don't have

Long bed(7ft) only came with regular cab, its rear axle is 6" farther back so different rear frame than regular cab or extended cab which both had the same 6ft beds
Long bed replacement beds are few and far between so keep yours rust free as much as possible

1989 was first year of generation 1.5, or some call it generation 2, lol
The mechanics were all the same from 1983 thru 1992, but the body style changed in 1989 thru 1992
In 1993 the body was made 2" wider but frame was same width, called generation 2.....or 3, lol
1998 had more changes with mechanics so was the 3rd or 4th gen, up thru 2011, last year

1989 2.9l had the newer head design, so less cracking issues than the 1986-1988 heads
The lifters are lubed thru cam bearings so as the engine got older they would make a "ticking" noise from lower oil pressure BUT..............it never caused engine damage so an annoyance not a sign of trouble

If its an automatic its an A4LD model, used from 1985 thru 2011, in 1995 it was renamed 4R55E, when more solenoids were added to valve body
In 2001 it was renamed again to the 5R55E, when 2 extra external sensor were added
But it was the same transmission internally as far as the rotating mass from 1985 thru 2011

If manual trans its a M5OD-R1(M5R1), good reliable transmission used from 1988 thru 2011
It does use ATF, yes automatic transmission fluid in a Manual transmission, holds 2.8quarts
So DO NOT put gear oil in it

Last edited:

DarthMaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the info! Much appreciated

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals