• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger 306 Project Build

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Well rear is in. Got a 8.8 out of a 97 ranger. Also converted the rear to disk brakes. Used mustang rear brakes. Here's almost finished product still need to order brake lines but it's at least a roller again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking Awesome bro, What year mustang rear disk kit did you used? That looks sweet

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man! Yeah the whole brake package is off of a 2000 mustang. There's a really nice tech article explaining how to do. I basically followed that.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Got it back together. Ran new brake lines and I'm ready to put the bed back on. Used explorer soft lines right off the caliper and made new line from there. Almost ready to tear into the engine

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Well here's an update. Picked up an original 1980 c4 trans with 88000 miles. Went with the c4 out of simplicity and cost, really wanted to swap a manual into the truck but maybe later on.

Now for my accessories I decided to blend explorer and older f150 serpentine system. I used explorer brackets and the f150 water pump and crank pulley. Because the explorer timing cover and water pump are shorter than the older styles I had to make spacers to make it work. I'm happy with how it came out and you get to see that pretty blue paint on the heads more.

I used aluminum tubing to extend them out. Have the alternator and power steering pump on order. Lastly have a whole bunch of goodies coming tomorrow. Carb, headers, distributor, valve covers and more. Engine is being installed this weekend.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
That's looking awesome. Really getting it together now. Good job. More pics lol

Sent from my Alcatel9007T using Tapatalk

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
That's looking awesome. Really getting it together now. Good job. More pics lol

Sent from my Alcatel9007T using Tapatalk

Thank you ! I'm impressing myself with this build lol. But what pics would you like? I can get more detailed ones of anything specific you want just let me know I'd be happy to post.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Idk how I missed this build but great job and real sweet progress mang. What's the plans for the truck? Subcribed...

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Hell, all pics appreciated. I like seeing how other people get from point A to point B. Gives me inspiration and ideas lol. Yours is looking really nice.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Got all my goodies in today here's a sneak peak.

Will show ya guys more later when it comes together. Got the 2.9 pulled today and it fought me every step of the way.

Taking her to get scrapped tomorrow.

Engine bay will be cleaned up and painted and then the new engine will be settled in. Very exciting weekend for me lol.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
That's a nice looking motor there. You'll have to tell us what all is on it and in it. Are you going carbed or EFI? Danger ranger has a nice set up on his from Fitech. Really interesting way to EFI them. Good luck and hope the weekend goes well.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Idk how I missed this build but great job and real sweet progress mang. What's the plans for the truck? Subcribed...

Appreciate it man! But this truck is basically for weekend fun. I did a 98 ranger 302 swap afew years ago. I sold it last year and missed it so much I'm doing this one now lol! Doing this one much better in my opinion at least.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
That's a nice looking motor there. You'll have to tell us what all is on it and in it. Are you going carbed or EFI? Danger ranger has a nice set up on his from Fitech. Really interesting way to EFI them. Good luck and hope the weekend goes well.

Ya know I really wanted to use that Fitech system but it really didn't make the budget. Decided to go carb. Went with a edelbrock performer. Maybe later on down the road I'll switch it but for now it's carbed. Top end has edelbrock performer dual plane intake, ported and polished e7's, trick flow valve springs, new valves, valve guides, seals. Bored .30 over with forged aluminum Pistons and rods. Decently aggressive cam. Lower end is all new bearings, seals, plugs, and crank.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Appreciate it man! But this truck is basically for weekend fun. I did a 98 ranger 302 swap afew years ago. I sold it last year and missed it so much I'm doing this one now lol! Doing this one much better in my opinion at least.

Very cool brotha. Mine serves the same purpose, weekend beatings [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji469]
Love the simplicity of a 302/c4 ranger, tho mines put up a fight the whole way.
Looking fwd to the progress.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Well today was rough. Rained most of the morning till about 3 so I got a late start. Went to test fit the engine and the mustang convertible mounts I got weren't really close at all. Looks like I'm gonna have to drill new holes and try to figure it out tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow goes more smoothly had the engine in and out almost 5 times trying to get the mounts to line up. Oh well tomorrow's another day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals