• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger 306 Project Build

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well today was rough. Rained most of the morning till about 3 so I got a late start. Went to test fit the engine and the mustang convertible mounts I got weren't really close at all. Looks like I'm gonna have to drill new holes and try to figure it out tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow goes more smoothly had the engine in and out almost 5 times trying to get the mounts to line up. Oh well tomorrow's another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey bud, where bouts in pa u from? I'm up in North nj n gettin the rain too. Supposed to be nice tomorrow. N don't sweat the mounts, I had to do mine the same way n mod them. Not the prettiest but it's all in there. Keep at it.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
I'm right near Philly. Not far from you from the sounds of it. After a lot of fighting and shifting around I finally got the mounts to fit and line up.

Cut slots into the mustang mounts and shimmed it into where I liked it. Very very frustrating lol. But here it is, the body is going to be dropped 3 inches but you get an idea.

Last edited:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Looks like she's coming along well. I always heard the convertible mounts were supposed to be the best match, guess that's not really true then. Take any pics of the process and location? Can hardly wait to see the finished product, it looks good so far.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like she's coming along well. I always heard the convertible mounts were supposed to be the best match, guess that's not really true then. Take any pics of the process and location? Can hardly wait to see the finished product, it looks good so far.

Thanks man. Yeah so the cross member where the motor mounts bolt to have a couple holes in them. The v6 mounts used the center hole. On the driver side I used the center hole again but on the passenger side I used the hold that was positioned toward the back. I used a carbide burr to cut slots using those holes and I got it to line up that way. Here's the passenger side back hole with the slot cut north to south.

Here's the drivers side using the center hole also with a slot
I didn't take a picture but I had to slot the driver side hole towards the back of the truck so it almost made a "t" shape. That positioned me nicely between the frame rails.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Also got the headers in today. And boy I love them. The driver said went in basically stress free just had to relocate the in line stock bulky fuel filter. Passenger side was trickier. I had to cut a section of the frame rail out and knock a slight bend into the header where it contacted the starter housing ever so slightly. But they are in and clear now.

Here's the passenger side. Cut a decent amount of the frame rail more then I wanted to but hey it worked I'm gonna clean it up and paint it and it shouldn't look too too bad.

By the way these are patriot tri y headers.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Also got the headers in today. And boy I love them. The driver said went in basically stress free just had to relocate the in line stock bulky fuel filter. Passenger side was trickier. I had to cut a section of the frame rail out and knock a slight bend into the header where it contacted the starter housing ever so slightly. But they are in and clear now.

Here's the passenger side. Cut a decent amount of the frame rail more then I wanted to but hey it worked I'm gonna clean it up and paint it and it shouldn't look too too bad.

By the way these are patriot tri y headers.

Cool progress bud, those mounts def make motor sit a tad lower than the advanced adapter mounts from what I can see by that frame notching. I'm running same headers n mine just clears on the passenger side.

Lookin fwd to the updates.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
So I'm guessing with a body lift and 4x4 the engine and header fitment shouldn't be as tricky as yours was. Looks scary with the frame cut like that. That won't cause you any problems will it? Headers look awesome.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm guessing with a body lift and 4x4 the engine and header fitment shouldn't be as tricky as yours was. Looks scary with the frame cut like that. That won't cause you any problems will it? Headers look awesome.

I sure hope not lol. Maybe if my inspection guy is in a bad mood lol! But no shouldn't be an issue for me. I'm in the middle of wrapping the headers now. I didn't want to but I researched and people highly suggest it so I'm going to I guess. Any opinion on wrapping headers?

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Got the carb installed. Edelbrock performer 600 cfm black powder coated

Also test fit my massive distributor. I'm really disappointed on just how big this thing is. I'm debating sending it back and looking for one with separate coil to shrink it down a tad. Here's a couple wires just thrown on to help the look a little.

Is it worth sacrificing convenience and price for a look? I don't know. I feel like it takes away from the rest of the engine though.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Not really. I haven't ever done it. There's lots of products out there just for that though.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Carb looks badass. Is!that gonna be big enough for the power you want? Is that the HEI distributor? So I guess there's Duraspark on it? I saw somewhere there are smaller ones for that application. Is the air filter gonna fit over it?

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Carb looks badass. Is!that gonna be big enough for the power you want? Is that the HEI distributor? So I guess there's Duraspark on it? I saw somewhere there are smaller ones for that application. Is the air filter gonna fit over it?

Yes should be plenty of petrol. I don't see it running lean on a 600 we'll see ! And yes it's summit hei all in one very simple and cuts way down on wiring but she is large on there, won't be able to run a stockish air cleaner with that thing. I couldn't find one that's all in one that's smaller than this. Kinda sucks since I have it and wanna get this done I'm probably gonna use it for a bit and switch it out later on.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Well it all looks good together and hopefully it will shit and get like you want it to. Eventually you'll have to list all the parts you used so we can pick and choose for our swaps lol. And you may be able to swap out things later as you figure it out. I really like the Fitech set up though. Probably what I'll use just because of wheeling . . . But yours is coming along nicely.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Hey broskie, carbs looking good on there. I like the black finish. As for the hei distributer, it is big but if it works, it works. If u end up going with a different set up,there should be enough room behind n the firewall to hide the coil.

On wrapping the headers, I got the wrap n planned on doing it also. I've read good n bad things on it so I was on the fence but my clearances are so tight in some spots doing so may not let them fit. It's supposed to do a good job keeping the heat down in the bay but by keeping all the heat in the header, they may end up cracking at welds.

Also, I'm about 2 hrs north of philly. Lake hopatcong, nj.

Keep the progress going, coming along well

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also test fit my massive distributor. I'm really disappointed on just how big this thing is. I'm debating sending it back and looking for one with separate coil to shrink it down a tad. Here's a couple wires just thrown on to help the look a little.
I run the Mallory Unilite

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals