• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 2.3l, and bigger tires. help!

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1986 ranger, 2.3l, 4x4, 5 speed reg. cab and shortbed. its pretty light (i can pick up the back end of it) i think i have 3:55 gears(stock) but i need some new tires. i can get a great deal on a set of 32x12.50s, or a good deal on a set of 31x10.50s. which would be better ??? i do alot of driving, mostly around town so im always shifting gears. i dont do alot of highway driving except when i go wheeling occasionally. i dont mind winding up my engine in a lower gear to make it up hills. and re-gearing isnt an option right now because of money.
so would i be fine to run 31 or 32 inch tires on my stock gears? :dunno:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You will find a big change in driveability, for the negative I believe.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You can run them, but if im not mistaken, 32x12.5's wont fit in the ranger wheel wells. I would personally go with the 31's. I am running 30x9.5's on mine and its ok.

SierraCanine

Law Enforcement
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Assuming you can fit either tire size I would go with the 31's because without regearing you will notice a significant amount of power loss in the higher gears. Also remember that a change in size will change the speed of the vehicle if you don't also replace the speedo-gear with the correct one.

What size tires are on your truck right now?

cn.anglin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1965 1985
Make / Model
all fords
Engine Size
2.3,300 6 cyl,351w,7.3
Transmission
Manual
i ran 31s on my 84 ranger 4wd.it had a 3 inch body lift and the tires rubbed some on the front fenders.mine was a v6 and i didnt notice alot of power loss

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals