• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) 1985 ford ranger 2.0 2wd

Tonyphineguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It seems once the truck gets to running temp it will not start once turned off I can smell the fuel but it won’t spark from what I’ve read it sounds like a vapor lock but it’s a fuel injected motor and vapor locks are supposed to be uncommon anyone know an easy or quick fix for this so I can rule it out ?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
1985 and fuel injected is a 2.3L not a 2.0L unless someone combined some things... all 2.0L were carbed.

With that over with, welcome from a fellow Oregonian!

As for your problem, it's probably the module on the side of the distributor commonly known as the TFI module, it's a thing and very common failure, if you smell fuel it is seeing rpm from the distributor but the module on the side that talks to the coil isn't working when it's hot.

Tonyphineguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It wouldn’t let me select 2.3 but I think I know what your talking about I figure it had something to do with the inertia switch since the previous owner said he needed to replace fuel line and it looks like they retired it to go around the entire relay system soon as u turn on the they u can hear the very loud whir of a motor and u can smell the gas really well

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Haven't made a new post since the change a bit ago, so I wouldn't doubt it could be a glitch...

Two things, you shouldn't smell fuel when just turning on the key, the fuel pumps (before '88 or '89 they had two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one before the fuel filter in the drivers side frame rail) should turn on for I think 2-5 seconds then turn off unless the engine runs which should prime the system and return fuel back to the tank. The fuel pumps should have a fairly mild whir noise, they should not be grumbly or squealey as either of the former noises are a bad fuel pump. The inertia switch is just there and shouldn't have anything to do with the engine running under normal circumstances, it is just a ball bearing that when jarred goes out of place and opens the contacts to the fuel pump relay, they can corrode and in your salty air environment could be possible but if it is bypassed shouldn't be an issue. If you are smelling fuel in the exhaust when cranking the engine then there isn't any spark.

Tonyphineguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It sparks just fine seems like it’s flooded after it gets to running temp like to much fuel where the spark happens like it’s gotta dissipate before it will fire again

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You have said it won't spark and then it will spark. You are confusing anyone trying to understand your situation.

To check for lack of fuel, open the throttle wide, and squirt some flammable into the intake, try to start. If it then starts, it is lacking fuel.
To check for spark, pull a plug wire, stuff in a spare plug, lay it on the cam cover or on the engine generally, attempt to start the engine. It should spark when cranking. If no spark, check the TFI on the distributor. New are $30 ballpark. Used are less.
You could also check for 12v on the coil terminals with the key turned to ON. Actually, the coil should spark each time you turn the key from ON to OFF.
Please use periods between 'sentences', or at least push the RETURN key as following the thought is harder for us dummies. Take some time, and re-read what you typed. You can make it more understandable and get better reaction & responses. IMO.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals