• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1978 F100 Ranger

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys, I've been jumping around on a few different projects lately and one I've aquired recently is this F100. I'm undecided on what to do with it yet but options are swap the drivetrain into the ranger or do something inspired by Ken Blocks F150. Either way it currently does not run and no accessories are mounted. Being unfamiliar with a 302 I was wondering if anyone could post some detailed pictures of alternator and P/S mounting. This is my starting point.

Attachments

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You’re best option is to deliver it to my house, sign the title over to me, and then go home knowing you won’t have to waste all that money fixing it up.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You’re best option is to deliver it to my house, sign the title over to me, and then go home knowing you won’t have to waste all that money fixing it up.
Honestly I bought it unseen from a coworker strictly for the drivetrain but after I saw it in person I didnt think it was too bad. I think its worth keeping it around even if its not a full on restoration. I always get attached to my projects

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also where is the fun in that :dunno:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Also where is the fun in that :dunno:
The fun is in my garage...

I may have a spare 460, the parts to build it into a 514 stroker, and an 8-71 blower.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Scrub that. It needs a 300 with compound turbos.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got the truck to fire up today briefly for the first time in who knows how many years. Think I have done enough research to tackle the alternator and power steering mounting. Hopefully all of the hardware is there. I dont seem to have much luck finding certain things or info for a 78 SBF. I dont know what years or parts can be interchanged.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Got the truck to fire up today briefly for the first time in who knows how many years. Think I have done enough research to tackle the alternator and power steering mounting. Hopefully all of the hardware is there. I dont seem to have much luck finding certain things or info for a 78 SBF. I dont know what years or parts can be interchanged.
In my experience... there isn't much interchangeability. There were so many different FEAD systems. That's one thing GM did right.... if it was a small block chevy... all the parts fit.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In my experience... there isn't much interchangeability. There were so many different FEAD systems. That's one thing GM did right.... if it was a small block chevy... all the parts fit.
Thats reassuring. I've got new brackets for it that appear to be correct but I seem to be missing various bolts and spacers to mount it up. I can find them all day long for mustangs but I wasnt sure if they fit my application. I'm completely new to everything small block ford.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thats reassuring. I've got new brackets for it that appear to be correct but I seem to be missing various bolts and spacers to mount it up. I can find them all day long for mustangs but I wasnt sure if they fit my application. I'm completely new to everything small block ford.
In a truck you have room to use brackets off anything you find, just get all the brackets and pulleys off the same rig and it'll work fine. If you're making any kind of a hot rod out of it you'll be happier with a 351, 400, or 460. 351m and 400's are heavier and bigger than 351w's- they're tall deck Clevelands with a 429/460 bell housing face. A 351w will bolt right up to your transmission and motor mounts.
Chevy made their stuff easily interchangeable because they expected their engines to fail and be swapped.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good to know. I dont have any immediate serious plans for it except get it running decent and seeing if it is a good candidate to donate its drivetrain. Most likely I will get it going and jump to another project for awhile. This truck, my ranger, my subaru and my guns are all on going projects I jump to and from at random.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A 78 302 would have pedestal rocker arms which are much better than the old rail rockers. It would also have pretty crappy heads and a flat tappet cam which would both be negatives from a performance stand point but functional.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I do end up swapping it in the the ranger I'm sure I'll change out most of that stuff. It has to be better in stock form than a worn the worn out 2.9 thats in the ranger now.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Still dont have alternator or power steering mounted but still progress none the less. Truck started, idled and moved under its own power to its new place beside my other fords.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals