• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1.5" body lift question

FilthySnipe

Reaction score
So I've read that a 1" body lift doesn't require any major mods like a steering ext. If I was to do a 1.5" body lift would I then still be ok? What about a 2" lift? I don't need to go 3" and 1" seems kinda small. Help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilthySnipe

Reaction score
Don't everyone answer at once lol!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well what are you trying to accomplish with your hockey pucks?

That is kinda important for us to know when answering questions about how much lift is needed.

Also, body lifts suck, they are really only useful if you have a specific reason for needing more clearance between the body and frame. In my case a 1" would be nice because my trans BARELY fits up the trans tunnel.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
...Or if you want to keep your steering linkage geometry problems to a minimum (using a 2" body + 4" suspension lift vs having all 6" in the suspension).

I did not need the steering extension when I put the 2" body lift on my BII. Not that installing one is anything even remotely close to a "major mod" though lol.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont think i would own an rbv without at least a 1.5 body lift.

what year truck are you working with?....there are quite a few different steering setups over the years. what setup you have will dictate whether or not it will be ok, you should be ok on the majority of them.

like mentioned...not a huge deal to extend regardless.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Not to threadjack, but won't any body lift mean altering the fan shroud mounting somehow? Unless you've gone E-Fan.

LilGreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As for the steering you may need an extender... A chunk of tubing cut to size with a hole in each end will work fine, that's what my 3" came with .

For the fan shroud, yea you will if ur not running e fans. It's just a flat bracket about 3 inches long and inch wide with a hole in each end. Nothing too serious

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
...Or if you want to keep your steering linkage geometry problems to a minimum (using a 2" body + 4" suspension lift vs having all 6" in the suspension).

I did not need the steering extension when I put the 2" body lift on my BII. Not that installing one is anything even remotely close to a "major mod" though lol.
I'd say that falls into "specific reason".

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
did you ever do the 1.5 body lift?? what did you have to change??

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have done several 3" body lifts, the 3" are about as complex as they come, steering extensions, fuel filler extensions, bending of the brake lines, chassis ground relocation, rad drop brackets, shifter extensions... first one took 2 of us, 2 days, 11 hours a piece, plus another 5 hours just for the bumper brackets, (we had issues with bent body mounts though) then I did 2-3 more after that, and got it down to a 1 day job for 2 guys, plus bumpers, which if it's not rusted, is 2 hours for 1 person

body lifts aren't hard, just a little overwhelming if you don't know what you're getting into. the steering extension was UBER simple, literally remove 1 bolt, separate the two sections of steering shaft, one extends a little and shrinks, so push it up, put the extension in, re install old bolt, and new nut and bolt, done! but like someone else says, it depends on make and model, yours might be a little different, but it shouldn't be any harder than that

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
I have done several 3" body lifts, the 3" are about as complex as they come, steering extensions, fuel filler extensions, bending of the brake lines, chassis ground relocation, rad drop brackets, shifter extensions... first one took 2 of us, 2 days, 11 hours a piece, plus another 5 hours just for the bumper brackets, (we had issues with bent body mounts though) then I did 2-3 more after that, and got it down to a 1 day job for 2 guys, plus bumpers, which if it's not rusted, is 2 hours for 1 person

body lifts aren't hard, just a little overwhelming if you don't know what you're getting into. the steering extension was UBER simple, literally remove 1 bolt, separate the two sections of steering shaft, one extends a little and shrinks, so push it up, put the extension in, re install old bolt, and new nut and bolt, done! but like someone else says, it depends on make and model, yours might be a little different, but it shouldn't be any harder than that
thanks for the reply, i have done a few 3 inch body lifts too. they are a great way to get more tire clearance. i know i can do a 1 inch body lift without any mods besides blocks and bolts but can i do a 1.5 lift without changing anything else??

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
Anyone done a 1.5 body lift? I can get the blocks and bolts, want to know if ill need the extensions

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
Bump bump

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

markopolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a 2" on my 86 when I did the v8 swap. I needed clearance for the c6. :) all I did was unbolt the body mounts slide in the lift blocks and bolt it all back down. I didn't have to do any brake line or steering mods and I was running an e fan with the swap.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
I did a 2" on my 86 when I did the v8 swap. I needed clearance for the c6. :) all I did was unbolt the body mounts slide in the lift blocks and bolt it all back down. I didn't have to do any brake line or steering mods and I was running an e fan with the swap.

Thanks! How did you know bolt lengths? I was going to download the 2 inch install manual and use that for reference..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals