• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 rear drum brake swap to OEM disc.

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone swapped an 09 rear drum factory set up to factory rear discs and maintained functional ABS? The truck currently has a 7.5 rear end. It is my understanding Ford went exclusively to rear discs in 2010.

I would expect to change out brake hoses and lines at the new calipers and new emergency brake connections. Are there any other hardware changes needed such as the proportioning valve? Does the ECU need to be modified to accommodate the swap to discs?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Read this article: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-bronco-ii-rear-disc-brake-conversion/

Can be done with 7.5" axles

Your 2009 just has the one ABS sensor on the rear differential to detect rear wheel lock up
And the 2009 4 wheel ABS unit just has that one sensor input for the rear axle, so not technically "4 wheel" ABS, lol

Switching to OEM 2010/11 rear axle, you would just hook up one wheel sensor to the 2009 4WABS unit

2010/11 also had traction control system to compliment the actual 4 wheel ABS system
So if you want the whole package then sell the 2009 and buy a 2011/11 Ranger :)

No, the computer(ECU) doesn't care about ABS

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Read this article: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-bronco-ii-rear-disc-brake-conversion/

Can be done with 7.5" axles

Your 2009 just has the one ABS sensor on the rear differential to detect rear wheel lock up
And the 2009 4 wheel ABS unit just has that one sensor input for the rear axle, so not technically "4 wheel" ABS, lol

Switching to OEM 2010/11 rear axle, you would just hook up one wheel sensor to the 2009 4WABS unit

2010/11 also had traction control system to compliment the actual 4 wheel ABS system
So if you want the whole package then sell the 2009 and buy a 2011/11 Ranger :)

No, the computer(ECU) doesn't care about ABS
Thank you very much for the information. If I may ask further please; would what you say hold true if I upgraded to a 10.5" with posi?

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
My mistake, should be 8.8 with a positive. Very sorry

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For what benefit?

Posi-traction is a GM name, Ford calls it Trac Lok, both are exactly the same method for limited slip, they use clutch packs in the differential
They are locked full time but are allowed to "slip" when going around a corner, so "limited slip"
Available for 7.5" or 8.8" axles

7.5" and 8.8" were both used for V8 power, in Mustangs and other ford cars
People tend to go to Explorer 8.8" rear axles because they had larger diameter axles and 31-spline, and also Disc Brakes
But not because of engine power, usually because of tire size, i.e. 33"+ size tires put a lot of strain on the axle shafts

Article on Explorer rear axle swap here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-explorer-8-8-inch-rear-axle-swap/

EDIT:
Nevermind
10.5" would be hard to modify to a width that fit under a Ranger, and no benefit that I could see in a Ranger platform

RickSTL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
For what benefit?

Posi-traction is a GM name, Ford calls it Trac Lok, both are exactly the same method for limited slip, they use clutch packs in the differential
They are locked full time but are allowed to "slip" when going around a corner, so "limited slip"
Available for 7.5" or 8.8" axles

7.5" and 8.8" were both used for V8 power, in Mustangs and other ford cars
People tend to go to Explorer 8.8" rear axles because they had larger diameter axles and 31-spline, and also Disc Brakes
But not because of engine power, usually because of tire size, i.e. 33"+ size tires put a lot of strain on the axle shafts

Article on Explorer rear axle swap here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-explorer-8-8-inch-rear-axle-swap/

EDIT:
Nevermind
10.5" would be hard to modify to a width that fit under a Ranger, and no benefit that I could see in a Ranger platform
Thank you again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the information.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals