• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 2WD to 99 4wd swap. M5R1

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
So I’m working on my 2WD to 4wd conversion. Saturday I got my trans in with the t-case. So my 04 had a output speed sensor in the tail housing and the 99 doesn’t have anywhere in the tail housing or the t-case. From my understanding the 99 gets it’s input for the rear axle? Does anyone have any information on this? I’m picking up a different flange yoke tomorrow and I’ll throw the driveshaft in and I’ll get the clutch bleed and see what kinda codes I’m going to be getting or what’s gonna happen.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually the 2004 trans(2001-2011), manual or automatic, had an OSS(output shaft speed) sensor on the trans, the computer needs that type of speed signal

You could get a 2001-2011 M5R1 4x4 trans, sell what you have and get later model

OR

Use an SGI-100BT interface spliced into rear axle ABS sensor's 2 wires, seen here: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1192/mode=prod/prd1192.htm

You would need to use the 2 wires currently on the harness for the OSS sensor, on the Output of the 100BT an the 2 wires from ABS as Input
But not sure of the PPM(pulse per mile) of the OSS, might be out there, you have to change the ABS sensors PPM to match what the computer expects from the OSS

In 2001 to 2011 the OSS sensor sends its PPM to computer, computer uses rear axle ratio and tire diameter(both programmed in at the factory) to calculate the "speed signal" which computer then sends out to the speedometer and cruise control
In 4Low computer also recalculates for lower ratio, but not sure that would work with 100BT setup, but accurate speedometer is not a big deal in 4low, lol

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Ron I greatly appreciate your reply. After I posted this I did find a few threads about the oss and vss with the years ect. So it looks like I have a few options. I really don’t want to pull the trans again if I don’t have to lol.
So if the only difference between the 2 tail housings is a spot for the oss sensor could I possibly have a hole machined out for the sensor in the correct location?
Looks like another option could possibly be to swap out the tail housings if I could find one reasonable.
Another option would be the 100BT of if could find the PPM information.
Yoy also said I would have to change the ABS sensor PPM? Would that be a whole new sensor or would that 100BT do that as well?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You would just be "tapping" the ABS sensor's wires to share it's PPM signal so you have a Raw "speed signal" to use, and to calibrate, which is what the 100BT is for

Yes, pull the tail shaft on your 2004 2WD trans and see if the "tone wheel"(reluctor ring) is removable and can be transferred to the shorter 4WD tail shaft
Then yes you could just swap tail shaft housings to get the mounting hole for OSS sensor that reads the tone wheel on the shaft

I did find two articles that said OSS sensor generated 32,000PPM, one is here: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1975f84f-4935-4131-8404-5a914da1afb7/downloads/1brke6aet_808115.pdf

Rear axle ABS sensor should be about 25,000PPM

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Ok so the Dakota digital is gonna be the way to go it’s sounding like. So would I tap into the circuit before or after the abs module? I have never messed with anything like this so the wiring part of it seems a little taunting. There are 4 or 5 different wiring diagrams on the instructions on it so I’m not sure which one I would want to do and honestly not sure at all on how the 100BT would actually wire up. I’m assuming it would need a keyed 12v, a ground, then 1 or both abs wires would go into it and leave it as well and you would tap into a wire on the instrument cluster?

If this was your project would you feel comfortable doing this or would you drive 4+ hours to pick up a newer model trans (01+) and try to sell the 99 model?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would swap transmissions as its just wrench work, then you are "Stock", so a few years down the road if something comes up its a stock issue

Yes, key on 12v to 100BT
You all ready have the correct stock wiring for "speed signal" distribution at the 2 wire OSS plug on the stock harness, i.e. Signal OUT of the 100BT
So you will need 2 wires from that plug into the cab, I wouldn't use the 100BT mounted on the exterior

Next you need the 2 wires from ABS rear axle sensor to 100BT, you could tap the wires at the ABS module or anywhere along their path to module
4WABS module in engine bay would probably be easiest to access

I don't have a 2004 diagram so here is a 2003 and 2006, same wire colors but different pins used at ABS module, so see which one matches your 2004

I would call or email Dakota Digital and explain what you need to do
Change ABS 25,000ppm to OSS 32,000ppm to see the best OUTPUT to use, the INPUT is the input
Both signals are AC, both sensors are Variable relutance

Attachments

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for those diagrams. I called them and as soon as I said abs sensor they wouldn’t say no more so I emailed asking about the OSS and rear VSS so we will see what they say. Closest trans I found today was right at 4 hours away and it was $975 so idk about it. Heck if the truck will run fine without the sensor I will put a gps in it until I find a transmission but I’m not sure about that. I know it’ll throw a code anyways.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3.0l or 4.0l engine in your 2004 Edge?

Won't go into 4low unless it has working speed signal

Did you try: https://www.car-part.com/

Yes, mentioning "ABS" can cause a "no info" response, its about liability

Just say you need to change 25k AC pulse to 32k AC Pulse, on a machine not a vehicle, lol

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual

not really worried about the 4 low as I am building a relay scheme and have reconfigured the factory dash switch with some jumpers and resoldering so no modules. Yes car-part is where I have mainly been looking. Gonna get a few local people to look as well to see what they can come up with. This will basically be a hunting truck that I drive within 30 minutes of my house and no further. I would have bought a 4x4 truck but this truck is sentimental and I don’t need another vehicle in the yard. The wife says 5 and a sxs are enough.

I will get my other email address and send them a different email stating what you just said under a John Doe name so they can’t put 2 and 2 together.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
It is possible the SGI-100BT will work. This isn’t a big change in ppm so a Low-Low configuration with a calibration of 1.28, OUT 1 would be sine wave 32,000 and OUT 2 would be square wave 32,000. OUT 2 requires a pull up though.

this was the response I got from them this morning. I’m not understanding the last sentence though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"OC" means Square Wave and you want AC sinewave, so the last part wouldn't apply to your application

You would use OUT1 at the calibration recommended and adjust that as needed to get correct speed at speedometer
Tire size and rear axle ratio are the variables, so it will need to be fine turned for that
But should work fine

Many have use these on V8 conversions using rear axle ABS sensor but it was the more standard 25k down to 8k(Ford speedo PPM)

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Ok that makes more sense. I’m gonna get my driveshaft in Friday after I pick up a deer mount and start on the front end stuff Friday evening and Saturday until it’s time to watch the vols kick off. In the mean time I will get that ordered and on the way so Im sure I will be reaching back out to you on getting this wired up. In the meantime speaking about the abs stuff will I need to get the module off the donor truck as well? Just now thought about that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need the ABS module, just the rear axle ABS sensor is used

Was referring to IDing the wires at the 4WABS unit on the 2004
Find the rear axle sensor's 2 wires in the engine bay on the 4WABS module
Splice into them there

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
So all the drivetrain parts have been swapped over. Along with a new factory muffler and tail pipe. I actually welded up the last hanger this morning. So haven’t had time to actually take it done the road yet gotta dr appointment with a sick kid again 🤦🏼‍♂️ Day care is rough on the wallet and sick kids every other week. Anyways I did notice when I pulled it out of the garage that I know have a ABS light on. I’m guessing since the tone rings are different on the rotor/wheel bearing and the ABS module is sensing it. I only moved it maybe 60 yards but the brakes felt a little spongy. So does anyone know how to fix this issue? The donor trucks abs module possibly. Might have a bad sensor idk.

Cblev323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger edge
Transmission
Manual
Bump…… @RonD
Have been putting this project off for a while. I found and will be replacing my 99 transmission with an 04. I have noticed when I do drive it that my abs light stays on and my brakes feel sticky when engaged. I’m digging back from my memories in December but if I’m not mistaken I feel like when I was coming down the mountain when I got to the bottom “steep hill to stop sign” my rear tires locked up and killed my engine which makes me think I do have an actual ABS issue. Any insights on this? I did purchase the Dakota digital interface but never used it. It’s still in the box in the passenger seat of the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals