• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

$0 fix on transmission range sensor 1998 Ranger

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1998 Ranger with utility outfit, with a 4R44E transmission.

While working on it, I noticed that the reverse lights were not coming on. Makes sense, everything else between the operator and the transmission was worn out because it was a oft-driven, short-tripped plant truck. 100k miles, many of which were probably driven on the ~500 acres property.

I looked at the wiring diagram and saw that it is just a circuit closed by the "transmission range sensor" on the side of the transmission, which wraps around the shift linkage/input.

I tested by backprobing and frontprobing the connectors, everything seemed fine but the module was not closing the circuit

PXL_20220325_163435493.MP.jpg

Liberated and on the bench. Figured if this thing is pooched, let's open it up and see if it can be fixed. Worst case it stays broken and I order a replacement anyway, best case it gets fixed faster and cheaper

drilled out the rivets:

IMG_20220325_134133597.jpg

Met with an intermediate cover that has the upper traces for the upper set of contacts

IMG_20220325_134238063.jpg

Under that is the arm with one type of contacts on it

IMG_20220325_134419632.jpg

Then on the bottom of that is another type of contact which closes multiple traces together. One of these springloaded contacts had fallen out and was in the corner of the housing

IMG_20220325_134542139.jpg

IMG_20220325_134746312.jpg

The spring shown on the left below was damaged and couldn't be reused. I took a sprint from a ballpoint pen and cut it down shorter to use it.

Also the contact kept wanting to pop out because its retention features were worn away, so I drilled a small hole through the plastic arm and pushed in 2 pieces of steel wire (actually from a paperboard chinese takeout container "bail", bent into a u-shape), which went through the existing holes in the contact to retain it.

IMG_20220325_134753219.jpg

Pop-riveted it back together, reinstalled under the truck -- that was 20,000 miles ago (sold this truck to my brother) and it's worked perfectly.

IMG_20220325_141418177.jpg

I also replaced the orange o-rings/seals on the contact arm, since they seemed slightly swollen/elongated and didn't want to go together nicely. I just replaced them with the nearest size from one of the usual nitrile o-ring assortment sets.

Thanks for reading. I think the lesson here is ... if it's already broke, might as well try to fix it before replacing it. Worst case you learn something and still replace it, best case you learn something and come out ahead with a faster and cheaper fix.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals