• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LS swap! finally

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
Yeah just don't ls swap your ranger. Nothing fits at all. Was gonna SAS but I can't give up on these beams. Just too much time and effort in them, plus I can't do anything the easy way. Couldn't get the engine to fit at all comfortably. Too close to beams at full tuck but why do I need 23"+ of travel. Pushing the entire front suspension forwards 3" and moving the mounting points out 2" each side. Or I might add 2" to each axle beam. Well see

20230812_112238.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Keep at it.

Building the best generally ain't easy.

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Still coming along. Haven't touched the V8 a minute here, motor didn't fit with stock steering box and with pushing the beams forwards I ended up using a Toyota ifs box. Extended the beams too. This helps way more with travel and tire not completely eating the fenders. Gonna use 2.5x14" coilovers for this. I've got everything ordered except for coilovers now. Need to finish beam mounts, put motor in and then I can weight the truck for coilovers. I already took down front end unsprung weight. About 550lb with drivers side beam being heavier. Swingset will add probably 30-40 lb but that's a non issue. Knowing from what I learned the first time around in excited to build this next set. I'll need some fiberglass pre runner fenders but I'm not willing to spend over 450 dollars on shipping them alone.

20230817_175339.jpg

20230828_184458.jpg

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Alright I guess this is a suspension rebuild thread now and not even V8 anymore. .188 wall 1.5" Dom. Looks way cleaner than the old arm. Couldn't reuse the last ones and these "should " clear 37s with minimal rubbing, I can always add front wheel spacers back but then the track width front to back will be wild

20230902_151436.jpg

Attachments

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Everything just kinda fell into place now. Gonna order coilovers next and get started on that once they arrive. Moving the axle forward was the right idea. Working on plumbing, wiring and headers/exhaust. Then I'll pull everything to clean it all up, finish final welding touches and paint.

20230907_202829.jpg

Attachments

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Weighted the ranger today for coilovers! 1250/1192 front and 1010/987 rear got my coilovees on order now

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Rainbow spaghetti! Getting tired to fabbing and waiting on coilovers plus I need to fill my welders gas. Wiring is something I weirdly enjoy. LS computer is controlling engine and transmission. I'm still using the ranger side for climate controls though. Transfer case is manual shift.

20230912_213943.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I actually can see where you are going with that, and it is an incredible task. Salute!
I had a late 60s, early 70s Dodge Dart that burned the wiring while stopped in some construction. It wasn't mine till that happened, and I found it had aluminum foil wrapped around the brake light fuse.
I pulled the harness and hung it on a garage wall, tack by tack, and re wrapped it bit by bit.
I also did some drafting early on, with a qualifying record of having taken a high school class on it, they said "that's ok, we'd rather you learn it our way". I spent a couple weeks learning how to letter on Reunion Arena in Dallas, electrical grid, and the next week counting every iron connector on three pyramid office buildings in Houston.

I have a vague idea where you are headed with this, cheers :)

Thedrill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 xtra cab
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Rainbow spaghetti! Getting tired to fabbing and waiting on coilovers plus I need to fill my welders gas. Wiring is something I weirdly enjoy. LS computer is controlling engine and transmission. I'm still using the ranger side for climate controls though. Transfer case is manual shift.

View attachment 98615
Reminds me of my Old Ls 4.8 swap into my XR4Ti but I wimped out with a 700r4.. and a very pared down chevy express loom.

Good work on the RANGER.

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
5393027b943187c3ffcde18fb3bdedfc.jpg

Ok, not really, but that's funny.

BTW, Nice work so far.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I actually can see where you are going with that, and it is an incredible task. Salute!
I had a late 60s, early 70s Dodge Dart that burned the wiring while stopped in some construction. It wasn't mine till that happened, and I found it had aluminum foil wrapped around the brake light fuse.
I pulled the harness and hung it on a garage wall, tack by tack, and re wrapped it bit by bit.
I also did some drafting early on, with a qualifying record of having taken a high school class on it, they said "that's ok, we'd rather you learn it our way". I spent a couple weeks learning how to letter on Reunion Arena in Dallas, electrical grid, and the next week counting every iron connector on three pyramid office buildings in Houston.

I have a vague idea where you are headed with this, cheers :)

It is easier than it looks.....if your easy is my easy...it's even easier than that. Except on Thursdays....

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
As someone that has made several engine wire harnesses by hand and drawn many for work, engine wire harnesses aren't rocket surgery as long as you know where the wire goes at both ends and how you want to route it... the hard part is starting with one that's already a thing and making it into what you want then it gets into a spaghetti mess for a while until you clean it up...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals