• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9 5 speed. Wrong transmission?

Volbeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9 with a 5 speed. I spent 4 hours tearing out a manual transmission from an Explorer in the junkyard. The engine was a V6, but I'm not sure about other details. I did record the VIN to help if I need troubleshooting (looks like I do).

Can I adapt my driveshaft to work, do I need to buy a custom driveshaft? Adapter?

I'm not sure if I can swap 2 transmissions for the one I need but I am going to try.

Please help if you can.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't know for sure which transmission is the original but the one will not work with the other in your truck. One is RWD and the other is 4X4. There is no making the other work with whichever drive line you have. Take what you have back and make sure the transmission you get is the right drive line and from the same engine. It very much matters that you match both.

Volbeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
F'n LOL. The Ford Explorer was not a 4wd. I had doubts during the 4 hours, fighting every bolt, nut, and cross member. I even brought out the carbide sawzall to delete the exhaust.

The same engine, it is a FWD (2wd) V6. I thought all I had to do was match the vehicle size and engine (V6 - non V8 Full Size SUV).

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The transmission will bolt up, the Explorer trans is an M5OD but I'm not sure about what your 2.9 had since there were like 3 over the years on the 2.9... I know the M5OD is better though, not sure about the driveshaft.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Transmissions do need to match engine bolt pattern, but also 2WD or 4x4 need to match
Rangers used several V6 engines so because its a V6 doesn't mean it will work with another V6 of a different displacement

Do you have a 2WD or 4x4?

The 2.8l, 2.9l and 4.0l Cologne engines all used the same block so transmission from one will fit the other
Explorers used the 4.0l
But still need to match 2WD or 4x4

1989 Ranger 2.9l 4x4 would have a Mitsubishi FM146, it was 4WD only
1989 2.9l 2WD would have a Mitsubishi FM132, 2WD only........................OR an M5OD-R1 these came in 2WD and 4WD versions

The Explorers just used the M5OD-R1 but in 2WD or 4WD versions, most Explorers were automatics, all were from 1998 and up, and only FWD(front wheel drive) Explorers were 2011-2019

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks to me like the original one was an FM-132. I'm not super familiar with 2wd transmissions but as long as they are the same length in this case (and I believe they are) you can use the one from the Explorer.

Issues you may run into:

Shifter is in a different spot, you'll need the shifter and the floor plate from the Explorer
Slave cylinder may or may not have the wrong quick connect fitting depending on what year the Explorer was - safest to use one for your truck
Rear output yoke - interchangeable I think but make sure what you had before fits the new trans
Input shaft on the Explorer trans should have very little or no slop side to side, in-out, up/down, etc
Make sure that the 3 rubber shift rail plugs on the Explorer trans are not leaking, you can replace them with freeze plugs

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
PM me A phone number. I can walk you through this swap. It’s easier than you think, HOWEVER... the 2.9 trans and 4.0 trans have different gear ratios.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals