• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cat-less y-pipe for 2003 4.0 SOHC

03FX4LEVELII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
33"
I am in need of a replacement exhaust from the heads all the way to the tailpipe. The engine that was in I blew a head gasket and coolant ruined the cats and one of the manifolds was cracked near the collector.

My question is will a y-pipe from a 94 ranger 4.0 fit a 2003 4.0 at the stock location allowing for use of 2003 manifolds or headers? These look to be the same minus the cat preheaters and buying the 94 version is significantly cheaper. I'm not quite comfortable dropping the money for OE replacement on a 17-year-old vehicle that is only used for Snow/Work/Play
2003 version Walker 50202
1994 version walker 50206

I plan to still use the factory cats from a 1994 that bolts up to the 94 y-pipe if so

If this will not work is there a cheaper than OE option that will work? or an option similar in price but better performance?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, it won't work. Side by side the two Y-pipes look very similar, but I tried this with my 4.0 SOHC swap and my existing 4.0 OHV Y-pipe. I could kind of get both collectors on the manifolds, but they didn't seal right and the end of it would have hit the cab floor, if the cab had been on the frame.

I made it work by cutting the collectors off, setting the rest of the exhaust in, and making bent adapters to go from the collectors to the rest of the pipe that put it in the right spot. Given the places I needed access to and the trouble I had with a bare frame and engine, I seriously doubt the pipe could be re-made with the cab on.

The exhaust, cats and all, are tuned to flow optimally for mid-band power in stock form. The cats are much larger than the rest of the pipes so that they have the same flow capacity even with the catalyst matrix in there. You will not gain any performance from changing or removing anything, only shift where in the RPM band the power is made.

You will experience a few other issues using the cat system from a 94. It will set a check engine light for cat efficiency for one. That will probably be the most noticeable to you.

How ruined are the cats? It may be worth trying to run it and burn them clean, if they aren't melted. A few bottles of cat-a-clean or similar may help. You can also check with local muffler shops, they may be able to make you something for less than the Walker.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals