• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yes... I'm asking about a Dana 30.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right, XJs through about 98 got high pinions. My friend's 2000 XJ has a low pinion...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A Dana30 under a big Supercab Ranger is a bad idea. You can't directly compare how well D30s hold up with "x" size tires when the D30 is still under the Jeep. That truck (S/C Ranger) is easily 500lbs heavier up front.

If you do decide to use the D30, I'd keep some funding handy for a D44 just in case the D30 housing gets tweaked, or the ring gear gets stripped (a D44 is way ahead of a D30 when it comes to housing and ring gear strength).

I think '99 was the last XJ to get the HP D30.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Well the wrangler i'm getting this out of is a 99... looks to be high pinion, but i didn't look that close. I was planning on buying a truss for the top to limit tweaking of the axle tubes... and i'm not looking to be doing the baja with it either guys :icon_thumby:

Jeremy

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Well the wrangler i'm getting this out of is a 99... looks to be high pinion, but i didn't look that close. I was planning on buying a truss for the top to limit tweaking of the axle tubes... and i'm not looking to be doing the baja with it either guys :icon_thumby:

Jeremy

tj axle is a low pinion but has the stronger u joints.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Ok, yeah i was just trying to remember what it looked like in my head. the truck hit a snow bank which wasn't all snow and bent the frame and tweak the driver side upper and lower control arms... well more pretzeled them. Broke the drive shaft off at the u joint but didn't seem to harm the axle one bit. Now that you mention it it is low pinion... i forgot that the high pinions are turned alot more and the diff cover almost points down.

Jeremy

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A Dana 30 on a Ranger is a waste of time and money and will only hold you back.

If you're intent on a SAS, go with at least a 44. It'll pay off in the long run.

The best axle to run locked with 35s from an economic standpoint is a Dana 35 TTB with some mild upgrades.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
i sheared a carrier strap off of a dana 35 so thats what convinced me to do an SAS.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Evan, there are folks that say don't wheel a Ranger. And of course, nay sayers for the 30. Everything has limits. Work within them and you can do some cool stuff. All opinion unless you've actually done it or broken it. I know what the people I wheel with put the D30 through including Moab and other incredible places. And I know my Grand Cherokee weighs more than my 4 banger Ranger, and I've not broken my D30 yet... Having said that, I am upgrading my ZJ to a high pinion 30 housing soon too...

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Evan, there are folks that say don't wheel a Ranger. And of course, nay sayers for the 30. Everything has limits. Work within them and you can do some cool stuff. All opinion unless you've actually done it or broken it. I know what the people I wheel with put the D30 through including Moab and other incredible places. And I know my Grand Cherokee weighs more than my 4 banger Ranger, and I've not broken my D30 yet... Having said that, I am upgrading my ZJ to a high pinion 30 housing soon too...
Ive broken 4 D30's on everything from 31's to 33's. We used to get free to cheap XJ's and wheel them till they blew up. Shafts and Ring gears always let go. We have had better luck with the D35 then the front D30's. We bent one housing also. but that was with a little air time. I would never recommend one to anyone with a ranger. Specially when D44's are easy to find. The stronger ring gear, housing and larger brakes are well worth the extra work. not to mention crossover/highsteer doenst cost 600 dollars like it does on a D30.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't cost that much when you work at a machine shop either :icon_cheers:

Jeremy

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive broken 4 D30's on everything from 31's to 33's. We used to get free to cheap XJ's and wheel them till they blew up. Shafts and Ring gears always let go. We have had better luck with the D35 then the front D30's. We bent one housing also. but that was with a little air time. I would never recommend one to anyone with a ranger. Specially when D44's are easy to find. The stronger ring gear, housing and larger brakes are well worth the extra work. not to mention crossover/highsteer doenst cost 600 dollars like it does on a D30.
Good arguments for the 44. Cheap? Not here in Utah.:bawling: Junkyards here know what they are good for. IF you can find one. Not so many good deals in the classifieds or Craig's List. I've even seen someone selling a Subie Legacy sedan as a possible rockcrawler... Anything that could possibly be used for crawlers commands high prices. 44s ain't cheap here. D30s and all the innards, are cheap. Front D60s ain't cheap. I've seen a guy take a REAR D60, and retube with Ford D50TTB outers... Cheaper than a front D60. (Didn't hold up too well, bad welds.:icon_welder:)

And I will admit that while we haven't broken many D30s in our group, perhaps, its with the thought of needing to drive to work on Monday, that keeps us a little more sane?:dunno: All I'm saying is that the wheeling MOST folks do, the D30 will suffice. Even us Jeep guys understand its limits. THats why we always have spare parts (Hell, I'm even grabbing some ZJ CV axle shafts tomorrow, just so I can get the extra unit bearings...)...:icon_bounceblue:

Reasons again, I will state for why *I* am choosing the D30. Very similar width, keep the same bolt pattern, coil spring mounting is very close to the Ranger. Ummm, FREE axle? And I'll keep an eye out for a 44. MOST of the fab and design work will work with the 44. At least I have a set of wheels I COULD use if I have to. Did i mention the free axle? And the free spare parts I've gathered already? I mean, I DO have 2 Jeeps with the D30, and my ZJ is getting a high pinion housing. I do know I will break something someday. But for now? I'll wheel it.:icon_thumby:

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Reasons again, I will state for why *I* am choosing the D30. Very similar width, keep the same bolt pattern... Ummm, FREE axle? And I'll keep an eye out for a 44... Did i mention the free axle?... I do know I will break something someday. But for now? I'll wheel it.:icon_thumby:

:beer::beer: exactly where i'm at roger!!!

It will be more fabbing for me cause i'm going leaf on previous torsion bar setup. Have to modify the crossmember by the looks so it will clear my driveshaft. Probably go over the double cartan joint, give me more "leg" room.

Jeremy

Last edited:

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
It will be more fabbing for me cause i'm going leaf on previous torsion bar setup. Have to modify the crossmember by the looks so it will clear my driveshaft. Probably go over the double cartan joint, give me more "leg" room.

Jeremy
i have the factory crossmember using a double cardon custom driveshaft and it clears. thats at full droop too!

i had the driveshaft built using an xj double cardon setup. it only uses 4 of the 6 bolts that are on the factory driveshaft that adapts to the t case but its still strong enough.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, i didn't think the joint would be that long. My crossmember sticks out at least 10 inches farther than where my transfer case starts. I do have the OHV motor not the SOHC like you... by chance the transmissions are a different length?? If yours is shorter it would put the tcase closer to the xmember.

Jeremy

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
the trannies are the same length.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals