• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yes... I'm asking about a Dana 30.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to do a SAS in the front of my truck. I have the front end, it's from a 99 Wrangler. Problem is it's a D30... The good news is, it was free.

I read everywhere people saying don't bother with the D30, they are weak... but i got it for free. I've been adding up the expenses of just upgrading the D30 with a truss, spring perches (going with leaf over) and adding 4.10's to match my rear and i'm looking at about $350. Steering components will be factory Wrangler stuff for now. I don't plan on going any larger than 35x12.5's but will probably be running 33's. I'll be keeping the factory 4.0 so I shouldn't be overpowering the D30... shouldn't.

Question is... sink $350 into this free axle and keep the same bolt pattern and upgrade as needed OR get a D44 with aftermarket hubs? I haven't looked into the D44's and their width difference or bolt pattern.

Jeremy

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do you intend to do, wheeling wise? I know people that break the big stuff on a regular basis. And I know people with D30s that manage to crawl with 35s and no upgrades.

I'm using a high pinion D30, stronger than the low pinion. The Wrangler D30 is a low pinion. I should have my swap well in progress in the next week ro so.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Trails, mud, relatively no crawling... Mostly highway but I intend on driving it hard. I've been reading the same things over and over. The break down is if I don't use this axle the swap probably won't happen as my junk-o 4.0's heads are cracked and i need a new motor so that's where my money is going, the rest into the SAS.

If I could find a dana 44 (with 5 x 4.5 lug pattern) and all of the steering components with knuckles and 4.10's for under $400 i'd just buy that... good luck!!

Jeremy

cheade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a friend that I mentioned a SAS to and he said, "I have a D30 sittin in my shop that I'd love to have outta the way! We can fit it right in there." :icon_welder:
But I wanted to kinda make sure the D30 would hold up, Doin light wheeelin with probably 33's at most as I have to keep an eye on mpg as I use my truck for work. And since I'm a framer, there's no tellin how far I may have to drive. So any info you could give on this SAS would help me out, and as I swap mine, i'll feed you info too.:icon_cheers:

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the D30... The one i'm getting for free is from a 99 wrangler so vacuum disco but it is a 4 link. I'll just whack all of that stuff off and get some spring perches. Still not sure what springs i'll be using, i'd use my stock rears but they are looking very used and abused. I can get custom ones built for about $60 per corner so I'll probably do that and get all news for the whole truck to bring the rear up a bit.

I have to take some measurements to see where i want to locate the axle... I'm thinking about stretching the wheel base a little to help with my approach angle, the only problem is my truck is a super cab!! It's already way long... But if i stretch it about 2 or 3 inches, go with a larger tire, 35, with a bigger lift I shouldn't frame out as often as I do now :thefinger:

Jeremy

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I would run 33's if you want lockers... on 35's I'd run it open just to be easy on it. Off the top of my head I can't think of a d44 that comes with 5x4.5 they're all either 5x5.5 or 8x6.5

I got my 44 with all the steering components, knuckles, and everything for $250 but it's 8 lug so I'll have to change the bolt pattern. Good thing I'm gettting new wheels anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it came with 4.09

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
35s and wheeling a d30=:badidea:
you could find a d44 and a 9" full width with axles with 410 gearing for about the same price at a yard then fab the links and such yourself.....be alot stronger
early broncos had 44s that are almost a complete bolt in and very close to the ranger axle width but I dont think they ever came in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. (exept on newer jeeps)

Last edited:

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ive got a dana 44 out of a jeep rubicon thats 5 on 4.5. the axle is actually a dana 30/44 hybrid, which means it pretty much a dana 30 with the dana 44 pigshead. everything else is dana 30 such as the nuckles and hubs. i got it for cheap but on average, they go for over 1000 bucks.

i got some pics of the swap here.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50512

Last edited:

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
they go for over 1000 bucks.
Exactly my point... At most I would be going 35's but I'll probably stick with 33's for a while.

I want to be able to clear my 33's I have now with no body lift (it has 3" of it :sad:) and be able to articulate when I unhook the sway bar. I might do a locker in the future but I'd rather put the money into a D44 once everything else is built especially if i start shearing off ring gears!!

I don't mind upgrading when it breaks, I do mind spending a lot of money to do it "right" and not being able to enjoy my truck until I save enough money to do so... I'd rather break it and fix it than let it sit half done.

Maybe i'll get lucky and come across a ruby D44 for "relatively cheap" some day too lol, until then I'm gonna stuff my freebie under there because I have other plans for other vehicles that are more important :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the input all!! Exactly what i was looking for:beer:

Jeremy

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats why I'm going ahead with my D30 swap. I can always swap in another D30 for cheap to free if need be, but if I want something more, most of the fab work will be done already.

The D30 isn't that bad. I'm a Jeep guy. Most of my friends are running D30s still and aren't breaking them. I've only seen two major breaks with the 30 in the last couple years. One was a broken ring gear. Friend in his XJ, using a winch and trying to back up at the same time, recovering a TJ with collapsed control arms up a hill. Low pinion 30 for what its worth. The other was a TJ, running 37s and the guy is a bit heavy in the foot. Got the left front tire wedged and floored it. Snapped the 760 joint, and managed to kill a balljoint too.

I also saw the same guy (TJ) break a D60 axle joint the same way, on 33s.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I've heard that about getting tires wedged does them in very quickly, so the way i look at it is if it's wedged, back up and try a different route.

I'm not going hardcore Rubicon trail riding by any means... Some powerlines and fields for the most part. Just want a truck that will make it's presence and i'll be able to have more fun getting mud on the tires :icon_thumby:

Jeremy

carchameleon

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have 2 rangers and a jeep, my jeep has a d30 in the front with 36" tires. my jeep doesn't have a lot of power but i wheel it pretty hard. i also have aussie lockers (highly reccomended) both front and rear. i have yet to break my d30.
one of my rangers is a 93 with a 4l, i cut the fenders and have 33's on it now, planning on upgrading axles and going 35's or 38's, if i do 35's i'll put a d30 in front. probably a high pinion out of a xj (cherokee) or a tj. if 38's i was thinking either 44/60 combo or 60's. my friends (we're team mudnuts in rochester, ny) all agree that the d44 isn't any better than the d30. i don't know from personal experience, but i believe them.

i have not spent a lot of time on this forum, and am just starting my build on my ranger. i will likely be spending more time here. seems to be a lot of good iformation easily found. i like the variety of projects, and the positive comments.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thats why I'm going ahead with my D30 swap. I can always swap in another D30 for cheap to free if need be, but if I want something more, most of the fab work will be done already.

The D30 isn't that bad. I'm a Jeep guy. Most of my friends are running D30s still and aren't breaking them. I've only seen two major breaks with the 30 in the last couple years. One was a broken ring gear. Friend in his XJ, using a winch and trying to back up at the same time, recovering a TJ with collapsed control arms up a hill. Low pinion 30 for what its worth. The other was a TJ, running 37s and the guy is a bit heavy in the foot. Got the left front tire wedged and floored it. Snapped the 760 joint, and managed to kill a balljoint too.

I also saw the same guy (TJ) break a D60 axle joint the same way, on 33s.
XJ's have HP D30's, why did your buddy swap his for LP?

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
my friends (we're team mudnuts in rochester, ny) all agree that the d44 isn't any better than the d30. i don't know from personal experience, but i believe them.
QUOTE]

from my past experience with regearing axles, the dana 44 in 4.88 ring and pinion is a whole hell of alot beefier than the dana 30 in 4.88, especially the pinion. so on that note, i disagree. a lp dana 44 is stronger than a hp dana 30.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals