• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Farm and Garden

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you are going to work on a carb, those are the ones to play with, one moving part and like 2 fuel passages all big enough to clean with tie wire most likely, as long as the float floats and you get a new needle or seat (whichever is supposed to be rubber, one side should be supple, some carbs it's the tip of the needle, others it's the seat, sometimes both...). At least there's no diaphragms or fuel pumps or anything... if not familiar with carbs, do NOT start on a modern emission rated push mower, there's like 4 ball bearings blocking ports where they change machining angles that you can't get out and are definitely where goo gets stuck with no adjustment needles to open up to get any flow and you can't really do much of anything unless it's just some minor corrosion in the float bowl or someone dumb that left the cap off their gas can in the rain and got water in the carb...

For the sediment bowl, there's likely rust in the fuel tank, you could have gotten a chunk in the valve, might be able to blow air backward with the valve open and dislodge it, might not hurt to put one of those silly red shutoff valves for riding mowers on in the fuel hose worst case, they're like $2 on amazon...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ehh, I’m more of a “I’ll try rebuilding it if I have to.” Maybe after I have a garage and workshop area and all that might change. Maybe not. I don’t really know a whole lot about carbs but I’ll try just about anything once
I always just looked at the schematic and followed the diagrams, even though not necessarily in a complete way, mostly all the primary components, the jets and float system, it's been so long I don't remember it all, but looking at the directions really made it easier. I worked with one, two, and 4 barrel, but mostly 2s

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to work on a carb, those are the ones to play with, one moving part and like 2 fuel passages all big enough to clean with tie wire most likely, as long as the float floats and you get a new needle or seat (whichever is supposed to be rubber, one side should be supple, some carbs it's the tip of the needle, others it's the seat, sometimes both...). At least there's no diaphragms or fuel pumps or anything... if not familiar with carbs, do NOT start on a modern emission rated push mower, there's like 4 ball bearings blocking ports where they change machining angles that you can't get out and are definitely where goo gets stuck with no adjustment needles to open up to get any flow and you can't really do much of anything unless it's just some minor corrosion in the float bowl or someone dumb that left the cap off their gas can in the rain and got water in the carb...

For the sediment bowl, there's likely rust in the fuel tank, you could have gotten a chunk in the valve, might be able to blow air backward with the valve open and dislodge it, might not hurt to put one of those silly red shutoff valves for riding mowers on in the fuel hose worst case, they're like $2 on amazon...
So, I looked in the tank and there was just a little debris in the bottom channels, I rinsed it out with denatured alcohol which seemed to work pretty good to get it loosened and out. The sediment bowl I got had a mesh screen. I just put a couple gallons in the tank and don’t think it got above that screen. Screw it down tight and it leaks past the valve. Fuel line is a hard metal line on this because it has to snake past the exhaust. I’d have to cut and splice rubber somewhere for one of those shutoffs and I was trying to leave this looking relatively close to original. But it’s a thought… actually, maybe I could get a 1/4 turn ball valve, like a brass one, and tuck it in there somewhere on the 1/4” line…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, I got a new carb and sediment bowl. Put them both on today. Haven’t verified that the new sediment bowl fully shuts off, but it didn’t let anything into the bowl until I opened the valve so a good start. Didn’t see any sediment on the screen of the other one. Still refusing to run though. New carb was letting gas dribble out the intake too? I gave up with it for the day at that point. Battery needs charged again too.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Trying to remember, it ran on starting fluid a while ago didn't it? Are you sure the point and condenser are in decent shape? My brother picked up an older Ditch Witch with a Wisconsin with magneto (on propane) in the fall for cheap at an auction, it didn't have spark and we changed the condenser with one I had floating around but didn't fit under the cap and it ran... he looked it up and ended up with a big capacitor from Mouser for like $2...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Trying to remember, it ran on starting fluid a while ago didn't it? Are you sure the point and condenser are in decent shape? My brother picked up an older Ditch Witch with a Wisconsin with magneto (on propane) in the fall for cheap at an auction, it didn't have spark and we changed the condenser with one I had floating around but didn't fit under the cap and it ran... he looked it up and ended up with a big capacitor from Mouser for like $2...
It would fire on starting fluid and it will fire and immediately die on the carb that was on it. With the new carb it would fire and immediately die (faster than the old carb, but enough to kick out the starter).

The points and condenser look ok and make spark. The neighbor said he thought the spark was a little weak, but it fires anyway.

I’m not sure how much wiring is playing a part in things. The previous owner re-wired things and it’s a handy-homeowner hack job. I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t helping things.

I‘ve thought about getting a new set of points and condenser. I’d like to know if there’s some automotive application that I can get the parts for rather than buy them from like Yesterday’s Tractors. Haven’t really had time to try to search it out and the little bit of looking I’ve done so far hasn’t given me any real answers. Might just end up buying a full tune-up kit, but I’m really trying not to spend much in the way of money or time on it right now until I get the green Ranger back up. I’ll be upset if I have to delay the green Ranger a month because I’m $50 or so short of what I need to get it on the road. Was really hoping the new carb would get it going.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone have recommendations on a trickle charger?

Getting a bit tired of having to jump start my tractor every time I want to use it.

I was looking at this, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07894CFCR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 , becuase I could leave it mounted under the hood and just plug it in/ un plug it in when I am using the thing.
Here's the Shoemaker site with reviews and owners manual. I have one here that's at least 20 years old, still, things sometimes change
22 reviews and one neg, I didn't read it tho

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I feel your pain @Roert42 I just had to buy a charger... full size. There are so many choices...

I landed on a Schumacher. Good luck...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the points look good and clean, check the gap (don't know what it's supposed to be but I think .015-.020" if I had to guess) and get a condenser, they don't live forever, any old condenser should work, they're just a big capacitor...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My wife found a beautiful rooster for free last Monday. She was so proud, he was some weird colored breed and was actually pretty friendly. Almost a year old.

Last Wednesday a mink broke into the chickenhouse and killed all of them...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was a little bummed a hawk got another one of my chickens the other day.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had one chicken randomly die for no known reason a couple of weeks ago. The hen was sitting in the coop with its eyes closed, I checked for eggs a couple of hours later and it was like she just fell over to the right. dead. Hadnt been acting funny and the other birds have been fine and still seem to be. Was going to get another batch of chicks last weekend but tsc hadn’t gotten any in yet and rural king didnt have the breeds I wanted. Still hunting a 12-16 ft trailer so I can start getting lumber to build the new chicken house. Im surprised the tarped up 12 x 12 kennel has worked so well, When its nice after work I let them free range until they go back in to roost at dark.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think I’m going to get a few full size chickens soon. Bantams don’t get along with the ducks too well, ducks tend to eat their eggs.

I may also get rid of the ducks, ie dinner, because they are high maintenance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I liked our ducks, they pretty much kept to themselves and chased bugs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals