• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I heard some info on the news today about how many EV chargers were in CA vs what they say will be online by 2025. So I Googled a little.

Currently... under 14,000 public charging stations. Goal by 2025 is 250,000. They need to get around 280 new stations online each and every day to get there by 2025.

Now with their goal of 3.2 million public charging stations by 2035... they will need about 880 more stations each and every day for 10 years to meet that goal.

@Bill Does that sound right?

Holy smokes.... how in the world are they going to keep up with that demand?

If I lived there and was younger... I would figure out a way to capitalize on these installations.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I heard some info on the news today about how many EV chargers were in CA vs what they say will be online by 2025. So I Googled a little.

Currently... under 14,000 public charging stations. Goal by 2025 is 250,000. They need to get around 280 new stations online each and every day to get there by 2025.

Now with their goal of 3.2 million public charging stations by 2035... they will need about 880 more stations each and every day for 10 years to meet that goal.

If I lived there and was younger... I would figure out a way to capitalize on these installations.

Really, I don't know. I thought there were more charging stations, but what I'm thinking of probably includes charging stations in school/college/university for the staff. There's quite a few of those here and most of them are supplemented with solar.

I would imagine the demand is going to correlate with the number of vehicles sold.

I've thought about looking for work in that field. I'm an IT suport tech. Even though you hear a lot of noise about the need for IT people, in the real world it's really tough to get a long-term full-time job with benefits in that field.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I've thought that too.

If I put up a charging station here I would have the only one in 30 miles.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was actually thinking more of an installer situation... bust your hump for the next 10 12 years... leave there fat and happy.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I kinda did the same thing in the pizza biz... but I got out.... ummm... just fat. Lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
To a certain extent, it is volume. Lakeland Ford is making its name as a volume internet parts store. When you get that kind of volume, your dealer price goes down.
No it doesn't but you might get better service from Ford when stuff is hard to get.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

What I'm seeing shows between 70-80k chargers currently. Still a lot of work to be done:

Just as a related note:
Level 1 charging requires a regular 120v outlet and typically adds 3-4 miles of range per hour of charging. These might be adequate to replace or supplement short commutes. For example a PHEV with <50 miles of range and a 30 mile commute could drive to work, plug in and add 25+ miles of range over an 8hr work day or overnight period. The PHEV in this scenario would almost never use gas. These require the least amount of time, money and effort to add. (I've been fully charging my PHEV nightly with a Level 1 charger for years now.)

Level 2 charging requires a 240V outlet and typically adds 20-30 miles of range per hour of charging. These are better than level 1 chargers, but might be a bit overkill for situations like at-work charging. They're great for public places where people might park for shorter periods of time like grocery stores, shopping malls, churches, etc. And I'd guess that most homes and overnight parking situations go this route to cover their bases and make Time Of Use billing easier.

Level 3 charging is a DC fast charger. These can add hundreds of miles of range per hour of charging. They're the most expensive and difficult to install. They're great for people on long distance trips so they'll be prioritized along highways, etc. If we continue with the current status quo, and treat EV charging like gas fill ups, these will need to be more prevalent in areas where people can't charge where they park for long periods of time. But I'm not sure that driving to a special location and expecting to "fill up" the battery in a matter of minutes is going to be a common approach for people just going about their daily lives in 10-15 years. My money is on people figuring out that it's much easier, more convenient, and likely cheaper to just plug in wherever they park for long periods of time rather than making a special trip to "fill up" at a high speed charger. Time will tell.

Yup! There's going to be a ton of money sloshing around for this. A motivated person could definitely capitalize.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
@stmitch I can see now how the numbers I found could be off with the link you posted.

I know I searched on public chargers. I also think my search keyed in on the fast chargers also. Without adding that string of numbers... my 14k estimate seems more reasonable

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's hard to find concrete numbers on the current state... This article from a month ago indicates 250k shared chargers and 10k fast chargers by 2025, with current numbers at 80k shared/7k fast.

If (big if) my math is right, that leaves ~175 weeks to get to the goal state by the end of 2025 assuming the numbers were up to date as of the end of July. That's about 17 fast chargers per week and 1000 'shared' chargers. The fast charger goal seems very reasonable. No idea about the shared charger growth.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's a big task no matter how you look at it...

To complicate things... with 7.5 million single family homes as of 2021... assuming most will do level 2 chargers... that makes these charging stations a monumental task.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Level 2 is not that hard to do in homes
Most homes have two 120volt lines already, for 240volt
Electric oven/stove or electric clothes dryer often use 240volt with 30 or 40amp breaker

You can install a shared breaker/switch that will always default to the Level 2 plug-in, unless the Oven or Drier is being used
Its a simple current detection circuit
When Oven or Drier is turned on breaker/switch turns off the Level 2 charger and Oven or Drier gets the 40amps, its automatic
Ovens and driers are only on a few hours a day, sometimes a few hours a week, lol
And most people don't cook or dry clothes between 10pm and 6am, and those hours are also the cheapest power rates

And most people only drive 40miles a day, if that, since 39 miles a day is the AVERAGE

US DOT says 2019 average is 14,000miles a year, so 1,166miles a month, and 39 miles a day
53 miles a day if no driving on week ends, lol

Batteries like the ones used in EVs should not be recharged daily unless its needed, charging heats up the batteries so the fewer recharge cycles the better, within reason
So unless you are driving 200+ miles a day there is no reason to recharge daily, and reasons not to

So one Level 2 charger could be used for 2 or 3 EVs as needed, using alternating days

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Batteries like the ones used in EVs should not be recharged daily unless its needed, charging heats up the batteries so the fewer recharge cycles the better, within reason
So unless you are driving 200+ miles a day there is no reason to recharge daily, and reasons not to
Is that still the case when just topping off the small amount for a day's drive, when the charging rate is automatically kept low? I'd assumed there were no heating issues since it wouldn't do any fast charging in that situation.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I am sure there are heat, and cold, sensors

There are people, like my Daughter, that panic if gas gauge gets below 1/2
My gas gauge is always below 1/2, so don't know where she got that from, I hate hauling around useless weight when gas stations are all around me, let "them" haul the gas to where "I" need it :)

In any case I think a lot of people, like my Daughter, will constantly be plugging in to public chargers when there is no need to, when she goes electric
I think they should put a flashing light and siren on public chargers that go off when EV battery charge is above say 75% when EV is first plugged in, shame the "overchargers" to get out of that spot and let someone else who needs it park there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals