• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Factory AC System -- How to Repair

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not off the top of head on the hose. Try Bronco Graveyard and LMC, and if no go there, may your Google Fu be strong. I'll look around when I get a chance.

Respectfully, Sir, a good wiring job needs to finished with nice, tasteful looming, not "hidden", and proudly displayed for all the world to admire.

And nothing aggravates me more, than shorted wires and magic smoke escaping.

Good luck, man! I'm sure we'll be talkin'.
When I say hidden, I mean in loom or tape.

You shamed me into ordering some loom and tape off Amazon..... You happy? LOL

LMC might have it.

Looks to be backordered though.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You shamed me into ordering some loom and tape off Amazon..... You happy? LOL
Haha! I just couldn't resist one little dig. I well know how these "works in progress" go. You're really doing a great job on giving that truck a second life, and you can be rightfully proud of what you've accomplished.

Hopefully that is the hose, or otherwise, that you'll be able to track it down.

I know that you ought to mull things over, and decide on how best to proceed with the AC. I'll be glad to post up anything you need out of the shop manual, so just holler if you need anything.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just went by the factory recommendations on how much, and how to distribute it. I can look that up for you. You'll need PAG-46 oil, not the ester oil that was used in the old R12 system. These two don't mix- that's another reason I like using all new parts, besides the flushed evaporator.

Yes. There's the small one between the condenser and drier. The one from the evaporator to the compressor (suction) and the third goes from the compressor to the condenser.
You got a little mixed up there in your oil types. The original r12 system had mineral oil in it. The conversion kits come with ester oil. The ester oil plays nice with the original mineral oil, which is why you can pull a vacuum and dump the conversion kit in and go. The old mineral oil left in the system just sits there and doesn't mix with the new ester oil in the conversion kit.

Now if you want to use the PAG oil, then yes you will need to get ALL the old mineral oil out of the system. Not sure what they are putting in the new or rebuilt compressors. All other new components should be dry. You will probably need to flush the evaporator in the firewall, and any hoses you reuse and the condenser if you re-use that.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
@franklin2 - Thanks for correcting that. I should know better than to rely on an old and failing memory!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So this might be a stupid question, but how do you get the lines apart from the drier condensor etc where there isn't a nut? Is it a quick connect line a fuel line where you need a tool?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Spring Lock" connections. It does take a special tool, which is not expensive.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I will prepare you. They can be a real pain to get apart sometimes, even with the tool.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll look into the tool. Figure I'll take my system apart soon and order parts.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I actually might have some aluminum disconnect tools somewhere. I used them on fuel lines before.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That tool that franklin posted is what I use...and a couple other similar styles. That reminds me, I had a hell of a time with one of the new lines on my last AC job... one quick connect had a weird spring that wouldn't quite clip on. It felt like it clicked when I pushed it together and held vacuum but blew off when I started charging the system. Keep a very close eye on the springs, make damn sure it's clipped in place!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Found a stacked plate style condenser in stock today online, so I ordered it and compressor and component kit from Rock Auto. I plan on flushing evap and hoses then installing new orings and everything that comes in the kit.

I'll rent the vacuum pump and hoses from my local Orielly's and try to get it charged up in the next week or so.

Guess I'll just run with R134A as the new condenser should help with that.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I take it that the component kit includes a new dryer/accumulator and a new orifice valve.

Good luck; I hope that everything goes real smooth for you.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I take it that the component kit includes a new dryer/accumulator and a new orifice valve.

Good luck; I hope that everything goes real smooth for you.
Yep. You guess right. 👍

Hope so. Biggest concern is getting the lines apart.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to replace the evap core... they are only about $60, I feel like they get kinda fragile over time and probably plugged up full of leaves and stuff unless you have cleaned it out. Easier to get to on your truck too since you don't have the intake tube, coil pack and a ton of wiring in the way.

The more AC work I do, the more I feel like replacing everything is the way to go.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I can verify the evap coil gets plugged up. It's more like a mud from the condensation on the coil combined with dirt from outside. I had a old 1980 f150 and it always had marginal heat output, even with a new heater core and thermostat. I pull the evap coil out and cleaned it. what a mess. Also got a pile of pencils, pens, wrist watches and junk that had fell down in from the defroster vents. Once I cleaned that A/C coil out, I had tons of heat in the cab.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals