• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Factory AC System -- How to Repair

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
A point to keep in mind...R12 systems made use of flexible hoses that were designed for r12 use, a 134a system makes use of hoses that are designed for 134a. 134a hoses will have a plastic liner inside to prevent the refrigerant from escaping (seeping) thru the hose body, R12 hoses were not manufactured in that manner. R12 is denser than 134a, so if converting to 134a consider replacing all the flexible hosing.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A point to keep in mind...R12 systems made use of flexible hoses that were designed for r12 use, a 134a system makes use of hoses that are designed for 134a. 134a hoses will have a plastic liner inside to prevent the refrigerant from escaping (seeping) thru the hose body, R12 hoses were not manufactured in that manner. R12 is denser than 134a, so if converting to 134a consider replacing all the flexible hosing.
I read that in my research, but I also saw where people used the r12 hoses with no problems....

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Well, it's not a case of right vs wrong, one spends their money where they will, the replacement hoses are dirt cheap at Rockauto, money well spent on peace of mind

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, it's not a case of right vs wrong, one spends their money where they will, the replacement hoses are dirt cheap at Rockauto, money well spent on peace of mind
I don't disagree on that point. I'll look it over when I get my B2 back.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It was originally said that the hoses needed to be replaced for 134A but that changed. BUT. Before I spent money to fix a 1985 system, I'd replace the hoses because of their age.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was originally said that the hoses needed to be replaced for 134A but that changed. BUT. Before I spent money to fix a 1985 system, I'd replace the hoses because of their age.
Are there 2 or 3 hoses total?

When I look on Rock Auto, I only see 2.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The LMC truck catalog has a picture. Rock may not have all the hoses.
The hose that's grayed out is metal on the 86 Ranger I'm working on right now, if it's not rusty just flush it and reinstall.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The hose that's grayed out is metal on the 86 Ranger I'm working on right now, if it's not rusty just flush it and reinstall.
View attachment 44106
I forget about LMC, they don't always the best prices, but they have hard to find items alot.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If the cheapest source doesn't have one their price doesn't matter.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The "greyed-out" hose, from the condenser to the accumulator, usually has a short rubber section in the middle.

When you get your B2 back from the trans shop, and you get to the point of looking over the AC system, get us some pics of what you have. The '85 is kind of a transition year, being the last year for the 2.8 and first year for the A4LD.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
View attachment 44106
So... looking at LMC, it states this is for 86 and up models with the 2.9... are there any difference between an '85 2.8 Factory installed AC and the '86 2.9 Factory installed AC?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The main differences lie in whether it's "factory air" or "dealer air". The former uses an orifice tube and the later uses an expansion valve for the refrigerant metering.

And I'm guessing that the compressor mount and drive may be different between the 2.8 and 2.9, even though the same compressor may be used. I'm looking at a Four Seasons catalog, and may be able to shed more light on all of this later.

And I also have two trucks with factory air, an '84 2.8 and a '90 2.9, that I can look at and we can compare to what you find on yours.

First pics I'd like to see are the hoses on the back of the compressor, and the accumulator/drier at the evaporator housing (heater box).

I hope that you get some good news from the trans shop; good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If your old r12 hoses are in good shape, there is no need to change them when converting to r134a. It is true that a new virgin r12 rated hose will leak r134a. But they found out after the r12 hose is exposed to the r12 refrigerant and oil, it seals the r12 hose and prevents the r134a from seeping through after the conversion to the new gas. One of those theory versus actually what happens in the real world scenarios.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, replace everything. It will work for years and you'll only regret when you pay for it.
Reusing all the old stuff, especially when you don't know the history is taking a risk.
That's what I did a few years back, about $1100 for parts, tools (vacuum pump and gauges), etc. and about 11 hours of my time chasing parts and getting everything replaced and working. The only real pain was replacing the evaporator. Everything else was simple unbolt and bolt back together. I had no experience with auto AC before I started that job. Just watched a lot of youtube and read articles online.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMHO, replace everything. It will work for years and you'll only regret when you pay for it.
Reusing all the old stuff, especially when you don't know the history is taking a risk.
That's what I did a few years back, about $1100 for parts, tools (vacuum pump and gauges), etc. and about 11 hours of my time chasing parts and getting everything replaced and working. The only real pain was replacing the evaporator. Everything else was simple unbolt and bolt back together. I had no experience with auto AC before I started that job. Just watched a lot of youtube and read articles online.
If all OEM condenser, evap coils, compressor, and components were still available I might could see that.

In my opinion, I would rather trust a 35 year old OEM part that still worked/didn't leak vs some of inferior aftermarket stuff available today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals