• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FLASHlights: what's the latest in SUPER-bright LED "torches"??

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
On a serious note. The only flashlights I buy are Pelican or Princeton tech. Why? Princeton tech is made 20 minutes from my house and I have literally gone there to throw broken lights at them.

Pelican because they have one of the last remaining no questions asks full lifetime warranty in existence. You break a pelican light, you're getting a new one no matter what.

I do not buy rechargable lights because while they are convienent, like anything with a proprietary battery once it's dead your screwed and need to either buy a bunch of expensive specific batteries to keep charged, or wait for a new one to get shipped. All my pelican lights take standard AA, C, or D batteries so while they aren't rechargable I can swap batteries instantly with stuff I have on hand or can grab at a 7-11. When it comes to emergency use, you cannot compare the two. If you don't have or can get batteries right now, what good is your super bright flashlight in an emergency?

While it's not a "flashlight" my pelican LED headlamp is dive rated (meaning waterproof to 300ft) and is brighter than hell with 4 AA batteries.

Led rechargeable mag light on the left... Pelican diving headlamp on the right...

View attachment 64569
What are all the hieroglyphics on the wall?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There must be the start of a loose connection somewhere because it flickers slightly every so often.
I’ve gone through a bunch of cheap led flashlights. I find the spring that presses on the battery gets wear alder a while. Coil up a piece of copper wire and slide it down the tube.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I go through flashlights like a fat kid goes through their Halloween candy. So I’ve never buy a flashlight more $15 or $20.

I also prefer small flashlight that can fit in my shirt pocket easy. Just to use as an inspection light when working in a machines cabinet.

this is what I use currently.

Milwaukee also makes one that is a similar size. I’ve tried the 5 pack cheapest ones they sell at Home Depot, but the springs are very weak and the light starts to flicker before the first battery change. I also have a couple of coast brand head lamps that are great for when two hands are needed. All aaa flashlights, anything else is too large.

I also don’t like rechargeable batteries, I would rather just carry a extra pack of aaa’s in my tool box and swap out as needed. Much more convenient.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Nightcore, or Fenix. I have a few of each, all awesome. Get good batteries.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have the nitecore tiny monster and love its versatility, goes from 5 lumen tent light to a 3800 lumen torch, and has a tripod mount, its light is bright and spread out enough to be used as camera lighting. I also have the MH40GTR, which throws an intense focused beam, and mounts in standard scope rings. LED Lenser (owned by Leatherman) makes great headlamps. I have two of em.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
LIVELY thread! Much Grass for all the input! Will post with what I wind up with... could be a while.

"prison break" bright... that was a good one, lulz...

Roert42: I go through flashlights like a fat kid goes through their Halloween candy. So I’ve never buy a flashlight more $15 or $20.

I know, right? Shoulda put a price cap in my OP... our Ranger bros with their $50 and even $100 :shok: flashlights--crikey, I'm not deploying to Ashcanistan, and since my truck-light is typically strapped to the pull-down handle on the Ext Cab kiddy seat, I really don't want anything that tells a crackhead to break a window and help yourself.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
The Milwaukee Trueview w/ PIVOTING HEAD looks like a winner... certain I'm not the only one to waste money on a Black & Decker bendable "snakelight" back in the day... IIRC it didn't last a year before all the ChiCom contacts (and on/off switch) started dislodging and/or coming unsoldered... still have that POS in a box somewhere, but it's pre-LED, so not sure it's worth fixing.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I used to be cheap flashlight guy until I got sick of having so much stuff around that I could never find when I needed...and noticed when I have a good flashlight I tend to keep it charged and in a dedicated home for always access...

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Eddo, you're probably right. MBA professors like to tell the tale of when Nabisco CEO John Sculley took over at Apple, he used a Maglite and a cheap plastic flashlight to make the point to his staff that there are no MID-priced flashlights, and that by God they were going to make the Maglite/Cadillac of computers, not the Eveready/Yugo...

... still, don't think I have a long enough prybar to get mah wallet out of my pocket for a 3-digit price tag on a "torch"... o_O

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
... still, don't think I have a long enough prybar to get mah wallet out of my pocket for a 3-digit price tag on a "torch"... o_O
Treat yo'self fool! Despite what the filthy hippies say... capitalist decadence can be a very enjoyable part of life. Not everyone is content sitting under a tree smelling butterfly farts and licking dirt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals