• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘94 4x4 Swap/Build

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I did it twice in April last year, once just to look, didn't look too bad but apparently was bad... then the other time to pull it for a Yukon Grizzly.

It is nice that you only have to get one C clip out for it to come apart...

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Ok, small update time.

The week after I let the kids paint my valve covers, I decided it was time to do something about my font bumper mounts. I can't find a picture of how I had initially done them, but it was super janky. I had cut up a set of stock mounts and scabbed them on with some 1/4" plate.

I wanted to ad recovery points and I wanted the ability to build in a winch box so I chose 1/2" plate. This is what I drew up in CAD.

1/2" A36

The plan was to cut slots into the bumper so the shackle tabs would slide through. Now I have two recovery points that will pull directly on whichever frame rail. I think I'll have to do some beefing up on the frame side if I ever put a winch on it. My core support is toast.

Slots cut and the bumper slid on.

View from the back side.

Not many weld pics. Sorry! its welded all the way around on the outside and how you see it is how its welded on the inside.

Decided I might as well finish the bumper complete while I had it off. I had never finished the sides. Sorry the pics suck. I'm terrible at stopping to take them. I added the filler plate on top and capped the end of the C channel that actually makes up the sides of the bumper.

Two coats of herculiner.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
And its finished (for now). Yes that's a purple smiley on the front diff.

Fast forward about a month and I noticed the Explorer roof rack I mounted to my topper was loose. I couldn't devise a good, sturdy way to remount it so I took it off.

And wouldn't you know it, I needed a way to bring a 16' board home for a closet shelf! :pissedoff: So I made a call to my local steel supplier for some 1x1 square tube and some 3/16 x 3 flat stock.

Pretty simple plan.

Bending side plates.

I've had these factory bed tie downs floating around my tool box for a couple years.

I used the D ring on the back of my truck to bend the slight arc in the square tube. Use your imagination.

Welded up and paint drying.

Mounted pretty easy. 4 5/16 bolts in each bar with doubled up fender washers on the inside. They're rock solid up there now and shouldn't come loose any time soon. They handled the 16' x 18" shelf board perfectly. Failed to get a pic of that.

Let me know what you guys think. A buddy and I are planning a small overlanding type trip for the end of June. The trail we are planning to run is called The 7 Hour Plane Crash trail. It goes from Crandon, WI to the tip of the Keewenaw peninsula in the UP. He has a 2009 Tacoma with a 2" lift and 33's. We both camp out of our trucks a few times a year so it should be pretty fun.

Last edited:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Well we picked up a quick inch of snow over night last night. I got up to head to work before the roads were treated and hopped in the truck. We had an 8" snow fall the week prior that started as rain and ended with extreme cold. Like -16F for a high. Anyways, about 3 miles down the road things got pretty squirrely. Hubs were already locked so I reached down and pulled it into 4wd. Made it to work without a hiccup. Fast forward to 11am, it's now 9 degrees out and sunny, dusting of snow is melting off the roads but patches of ice from the prior storm remain and are now wet as well. I pull up to a busier intersection that moves fast so I pull it into 4wd again. At the next intersection, I barely have to use the brakes to slow down. As soon as I push the clutch, the truck starts scrubbing speed and its making an awful howling that sounds like its in the font end. This stop light is agonizingly long so I hit reverse and inch back. As soon as the tires start rolling, I feel everything un-bind and it rolls like normal. Wondering what gives, the light turns green and I tromp on it. Everything feels fine and is rolling smooth until I let off. Back to 2wd for the remainder of the trip home.

So naturally, when something isn't right, I can't stop thinking about it. I ate lunch and tried googling to see if anyone has had similar issues after a locker install. There's an alarming amount of Jeep guys that don't seem to understand you aren't suppose to run 4wd on dry pavement. Unfortunately, that was the majority of what I found.

I couldn't find anything definitive in my own testing. Its perfect in 4hi and low with the hubs unlocked, its perfect in 2hi with the hubs locked (been in this configuration since Thanksgiving), I tried it in 4hi with only one hub locked and nothing. Unlock that hub and lock the other, nothing. Lock both and it binds up. Even on snow covered pavement. The only time it doesn't bind up in 4wd is when I pull off the pavement and into the deeper snow on the grass. I did a wide 3-point turn in the front yard and a sharp 3-point turn in the side yard. NOTHING. My tires are worn unevenly but they aren't drastically different. Is this slight variation in diameter enough to cause everything to bind up? The only thing I noticed that is wrong and needs attention is the passenger side axle shaft u-joints are out of phase. I would think that would cause more of a pulsing bind than a continuous one. I never noticed any of this before the rear locker. The transfer case would whine but it never seemed excessive or unusual.

If no one really responds in here, I'll probably delete this post and create a new thread. Hopefully some of the old Gurus will see this and chime in. Passenger side is coming apart tomorrow to re-phase the u-joints in the shaft and general inspection.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Front tires are always squashed down a bit more due to the weight of the engine, so even with 4 brand new tires they won't all turn at exactly the same rate.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Tire pressure is always 34 front, 32 rear. Gives nice even wear across the tread on all 4 tires.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Well I dug into the truck yesterday. I didn't find anything related to the binding. I fixed the passenger side axle shaft u-joint issue and found a circlip had popped off inside the Warn hub. Reinstalled that and checked tire pressure, still binding. I guess I'll pull the transfer case out in spring. The truck isn't needed right now anyways.

Bronc3

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001/2002
Make / Model
Supercab FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
32-11.50
This is the only picture I took yesterday during the locker install. Not much to see anyways.

View attachment 55002

Couple loud bangs and some pops and it’s working like it should. My carrier is really tight so I’m on the low end of the tolerances. 0.008” and 0.007” on the cross pin to spacers and 0.148” between the cam gears. I guess the Explorer’s auto 4x4 really saves on wear in the rear end. We’ll see how my driveshaft holds up.

Bronc3

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001/2002
Make / Model
Supercab FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
32-11.50
This is the only picture I took yesterday during the locker install. Not much to see anyways.

View attachment 55002

Couple loud bangs and some pops and it’s working like it should. My carrier is really tight so I’m on the low end of the tolerances. 0.008” and 0.007” on the cross pin to spacers and 0.148” between the cam gears. I guess the Explorer’s auto 4x4 really saves on wear in the rear end. We’ll see how my driveshaft holds up.

Bronc3

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001/2002
Make / Model
Supercab FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
32-11.50

View attachment 55002

Looks like it installs exactly like a Lockright. Is it the same diff renamed?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looks like it installs exactly like a Lockright. Is it the same diff renamed?
No. They are different. Same principle, just different shaped parts.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Heres the snap ring or circlip or whatever you want to call it that popped out. This actually allowed the hub to just barely slide into the locked position. I've had both Warn hubs apart before. I should really replace these with real snap rings like the Mile Marker hubs have.

Looks like I REALLY need some seals before the truck sees any mud.

Passenger side U-joints were off by 2 splines. I never noticed anything funny in 4wd so apparently that's acceptable. I picked up a couple quarts of regular Mercon for the t-case on Sunday. I'm going to drop the fluid once we get some days in the double digits for highs and hope I don't find a bunch of sparkles.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Made parts for a transmission crossmember. Im going to steal Skyjackers idea a little bit.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Still cleans up ok.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Makes me want to go wash my truck... even though we're suppose to get 1 to 3 inches of new snow today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals