• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you like your 5g?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well I always said there are a few that make our profession a nightmare.

It's one thing to build a hot rod in your garage or do your own maintenance... it's a completely different world when you do it for a living and you have to fix every pile of someone else's neglected junk that pulls in the driveway to make a paycheck to pay the bills.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I always said there are a few that make our profession a nightmare.

It's one thing to build a hot rod in your garage or do your own maintenance... it's a completely different world when you do it for a living and you have to fix every pile of someone else's neglected junk that pulls in the driveway to make a paycheck to pay the bills.
Amen.

I see far more stuff towed in from independent shops with stories about how they got screwed over and ripped off than I see things leave my shop not right.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I screw up. I have nobody to blame but myself and I eat and take the blame. I don't do it often but it has cost me a time or two. Coming from an aircraft maintenance background, I tend to be more OCD about things. An aircraft can't pull over to the shoulder if I screw up and legal action of some sort is likely going to happen depending on when the screw up was found if the repair has been reported as complete and good to fly.

The Air Force is also more strict than the civilian world. What is allowed to happen and how they do things in the civilian sector is shocking to us military types.

Like I said earlier with my examples, the one guy could have had a bad day or was a bad mechanic. I wasn't taking a chance on him just being a bad mechanic. It was something I could fix in my driveway and still get to work in the morning but it should never have had to happened.

The comment about independent shops isn't off base either. The hiring and training criteria isn't as high for employment.

Dankly1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, this thread digressed a bit...
Here are some of my observations after 4400 miles in my 20 FX4.

I've had it to the dealer for 3 warranty issues:

1. The central screen blinked out on me a few times. (this is pretty bad since it includes the climate control display) They updated the software and I haven't had issues since.
2. The transmission has some serious issues. Since it was new, I've had what I would describe as surging or power loss, especially when cold. I took it to the dealer with less than 1000 miles but they could not duplicate. It has been getting worse, to the point where it will completely lose power for 1-2 seconds when the truck is cold and I am accelerating from a stop. It will act like I completely take my foot off the gas and then jam it back on. I wasn't going to take NFF for an answer anymore so I took it back and left it at the dealer for 2 weeks. They were able to replicate and think that there is internal leakage in the transmission and that they will have to tear it down and figure out what's wrong. Unfortunately, the tranny guy is way backed up and it seems like the entire Ford parts catalog is on back order. I'm waiting for things to free up so I can get it in and hopefully fixed. It seems to have started to slip more often recently so hopefully this is sooner rather than later.
3. Not too long after getting it, I found that there was a tear in the bottom side of the parking brake boot that I definitely didn't put there. They have a new one on order for me.

-I really like the Trail Control system. I've used it on some gnarly Idaho dirt roads and it worked like a champ.
-Fuel economy is around 20 mpg with normal driving, including occasional full throttle up to 70 or so because I like the noise and it's fun.
-Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure it out, but I can't get it to show the climate control or other screens on the display when I am using Apple Car Play. The only way I can change where the air is delivered is to disconnect my phone from the cord...this is a big pain in the butt!
-I really like the functionality of the FordPass app with the truck but the app itself is a battery killer. It will be fine for a couple days but then it will start with some "background activity" and blow through my battery in half a day. The only way to stop this is to delete the app and then reinstall the next time I need to use it. Ford sent a message that this got fixed, but it is still killing my phone battery.

Overall, I really like the truck and enjoy driving it. The one thing I am nervous about is the tranny issue. They said I was fine to continue driving it but I am worried about permanent damage that will cause problems down the road.

If anyone has any good tips about the CarPlay / climate control thing, please let me know.

Cheers!
dankly

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would keep the dealer on speed dial and make it clear when you break down that you expect them to pay for the tow and a loaner because they are dragging their feet on getting your transmission fixed.

As far as the information center access, I can't help. I have the lower model system that doesn't have all the bells and whistles your has.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The global parts supply chain is all jacked up right now, it probably isn't either Ford or the dealer toying with you.

My brother (Ford Sr Master Tech) has a car sitting at work because nobody in the country has an ABS sensor...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The global parts supply chain is all jacked up right now, it probably isn't either Ford or the dealer toying with you.

My brother (Ford Sr Master Tech) has a car sitting at work because nobody in the country has an ABS sensor...
I have one in the basement...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I would keep the dealer on speed dial and make it clear when you break down that you expect them to pay for the tow and a loaner because they are dragging their feet on getting your transmission fixed.

As far as the information center access, I can't help. I have the lower model system that doesn't have all the bells and whistles your has.
I wouldn't call it "the lower model system". More like, "I planned ahead, I don't need all that, & bought a truck without it, and I'm glad I did".

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
-I really like the functionality of the FordPass app with the truck but the app itself is a battery killer. It will be fine for a couple days but then it will start with some "background activity" and blow through my battery in half a day. The only way to stop this is to delete the app and then reinstall the next time I need to use it. Ford sent a message that this got fixed, but it is still killing my phone battery.

If you go to the settings of your phone you should be able to turn off backround activity of the app. I don't have the that app, but I know you can do the same with most.

SymChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1. The central screen blinked out on me a few times. (this is pretty bad since it includes the climate control display) They updated the software and I haven't had issues since.
2. The transmission has some serious issues. Since it was new, I've had what I would describe as surging or power loss, especially when cold. I took it to the dealer with less than 1000 miles but they could not duplicate. It has been getting worse, to the point where it will completely lose power for 1-2 seconds when the truck is cold and I am accelerating from a stop. It will act like I completely take my foot off the gas and then jam it back on. I wasn't going to take NFF for an answer anymore so I took it back and left it at the dealer for 2 weeks. They were able to replicate and think that there is internal leakage in the transmission and that they will have to tear it down and figure out what's wrong. Unfortunately, the tranny guy is way backed up and it seems like the entire Ford parts catalog is on back order. I'm waiting for things to free up so I can get it in and hopefully fixed. It seems to have started to slip more often recently so hopefully this is sooner rather than later.
3. Not too long after getting it, I found that there was a tear in the bottom side of the parking brake boot that I definitely didn't put there. They have a new one on order for me.

-Maybe I'm just not smart enough to figure it out, but I can't get it to show the climate control or other screens on the display when I am using Apple Car Play. The only way I can change where the air is delivered is to disconnect my phone from the cord...this is a big pain in the butt!

Overall, I really like the truck and enjoy driving it. The one thing I am nervous about is the tranny issue. They said I was fine to continue driving it but I am worried about permanent damage that will cause problems down the road.

If anyone has any good tips about the CarPlay / climate control thing, please let me know.

Cheers!
dankly
For #1 - I've never encountered that but sounds like you've had it resolved.

For #2 - Advise them of TSB 20-2339 - Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation and/or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start" - I have heard from others that this could improve your situation. I'd hate to see your dealer take things apart for no reason. I'm attaching the TSB as well for you to look at.

For #3 - I don't have the issue on my 2019, but I have heard of others with some tearing on the boot as well and dealer replaced under warranty.

Can't really help you on the CarPlay as I don't really use it, but I thought on the CarPlay screen there is a 'Ford" logo that you can select and it brings you to your typical Sync screen, so if you can see that give it a look. Another reason I wouldn't notice is because I'm really hooked on "Auto" setting for climate control now.

For the FordPass app, Ford has acknowledged there was an issue with one of the recent updates of it and how it interacts with IOS. I thought they've resolved, but they did give tips like making sure FordPass was up to date, and do a on/off cycle of your phone. The FordPass app (at least here in Canada) even pushed out an "alert" advising of such.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals