• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you like your 5g?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
"It's Raining Men" and "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" are the same song from different points of view.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
15 years in four dealerships. I have worked with one crooked individual, and as soon as he was caught he was fired. So no, I do not accept that "generally dealers are scumbags" nor "they've certainly earned the nickname 'stealership'".

You and your ilk perpetuate a biased story against an entire group based off a handful of bad experiences with what is likely even fewer businesses. And I will bet that not a single one of you people understand the position the dealerships are actually in when it comes to warranty. Especially right now with Ford having had one of the worst years in the company's history.

Most dealerships are small businesses. We aren't part of some national conglomerate, we are individual businesses that pay a franchise fee to Ford to be allowed to use their name and do their bitch work for them. We get put in impossible positions trying to fulfill all the warranty criteria and obligations, and if we miss a single small step and can't convince Ford it was a clerical error, not only can we get charged back for all the time and money and parts put into the job, we can open ourselves us for audits, and get charged back for other things, even if they just find that the paper work wasn't in order.

Here's a fun story, a true story, of one I just got done dealing with. Customer brought in a 17 Explorer, said it was leaking oil. I found oil all over the rear turbo. I cleaned it, put dye in it, had it driven over night and rechecked it, only place there was oil or dye was on the turbo. I said "Great, needs a turbo," and put one in it, following the book to the letter. We finish it, $1800 in parts, another $600 in labor, submit it to Ford. They came back and said "We aren't paying for that, it didn't need a turbo, the oil leak was somewhere else." So I sent them the pictures I took before hand, which is NOT a warranty requirement BTW, and said "Ok, show me where the leak was". They replied and said "OK, it needed a turbo, we still aren't paying because you did it wrong".

Ford issues lists of "one time use parts" that have to be replaced as part of bigger jobs. Don't put all the parts on, Ford won't pay, put on more parts than they say you are allowed, they won't pay. If you go by the shop manual instructions for replacing the RH turbo on a 17 Explorer 3.5L EB you are instructed to replace the turbo oil filter. If you look at the OTUP list however, you are not allowed a filter when replacing the right hand turbo. So I put it in, because the book said we had to, and the parts department didn't bill it because the parts list said we weren't allowed to. Ford said "Well you didn't bill that $0.50 part, we aren't paying that claim, unless you can prove you put one it.

Now we did eventually win that one and got the whole job paid, but if we hadn't that would have been over $2000 out of our shop's pocket, and that I could well have been charged back for, because Ford plays games, Ford won't proof-read all their publications to make sure they match, and Ford won't look at their own stuff and say "Oh yeah, I guess we made a mistake". We deal with a situation like this about once a month on warranty. And then I get to get painted with a broad brush as a thief and a crook, right along with the few actual crooked guys out there.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, if you really want to keep up your moronic and hateful rhetoric, I have a Chrysler straight-8 crankshaft in my garage, and you can stick it where the sun don't shine, if it fits or not.
Thanks for posting this.

About 8 years ago I took my 02 Tacoma TRD to a Toyota dealer here in Colorado to have front shocks put on it. This was the only time my truck has ever been into a Toyota dealership On the drive home I noticed the steering wheel was crooked. I parked it in the garage and as I walked by the front wheel I looked and could see the acorn nut on the top of the shock didn't have an acorn nut on it. I called the dealership and told them this and they said "No worries, drive it back" I asked them what else was screwed up that I couldn't see and told them to send a roll back, they refused.

I drove it back they put it on the lift and I told them I wanted to inspect it. About a third of the nuts that were involved in the shock change were rounded over like somebody used an adjustable wrench on them instead of sockets and/or combination wrenches.

I could have done the work myself, but didn't because I was working long hours an figured I'd be money ahead just working overtime at my job, and letting the professional do the work. The guy that worked on my truck was a lot of things, but a professional wasn't one of them.

So I called Toyota and that's when I learned what you're telling us about the dealership being a stand alone entity.

A local guy, let's call him Henry, who does sub-contract work at the local Ford dealers service department told me to be sure and get your truck serviced before lunch, because a number of the tech's get high at lunch. Henry is a straight shooter. He wouldn't say it if it didn't happen.

Only reason I wrote all of this is because I hope you understand that when something like this ^^^^ happens... once bitten twice shy applies.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Only reason I wrote all of this is because I hope you understand that when something like this ^^^^ happens... once bitten twice shy applies.
Right, but did you abandon taking your vehicles to repair shops of any kind over that indicent, or do you just paint the dealer shops as the ones that are bad. Because let me tell you something, in Colorado, and all the other states with legal recreational drugs of any stripe, that's what happens. This job sucks, it's hard on the body, most of us live in pretty much constant pain, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that happens in a lot of places, not just dealerships.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have no worries about my dealer, the only ford certified tech there is my little brother.

I dont have much done there because i cant afford them, not because i dont trust them.

He says they have had no issues with carboned valves but added that here in the sticks with a lot of highway driving we do have a different drive cycle than most that just commute in bigger cities.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Because of the lack of trust of many repair shops, dealership or otherwise, I generally do my own work. Work I can't do is only taken to places I know do good work as long as I have a choice.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Right, but did you abandon taking your vehicles to repair shops of any kind over that indicent, or do you just paint the dealer shops as the ones that are bad. Because let me tell you something, in Colorado, and all the other states with legal recreational drugs of any stripe, that's what happens. This job sucks, it's hard on the body, most of us live in pretty much constant pain, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that happens in a lot of places, not just dealerships.
Yes I have pretty much abandoned repair shops of any kind.

Are you justifying / legitimizing getting high or drunk and then working on somebodies vehicle? They are recreational drugs.. not occupational drugs.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That's no better than saying all Iraqis are scumbags or all Muslims are scumbags or all Rottweilers are vicious. It's that kind of unwarranted generalization that creates problems.

Your not wrong.

Except about the Rottweiler part. Look at this bloodthirsty savage.. plotting his next attack... his brother pretty viscously ripped up half the linoleum in the kitchen lol.

I miss them -__-

IMAG0203.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Your not wrong.

Except about the Rottweiler part. Look at this bloodthirsty savage.. plotting his next attack... his brother pretty viscously ripped up half the linoleum in the kitchen lol.

I miss them -__-

View attachment 53607
Looks like a pussy cat to me.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are you justifying / legitimizing getting high or drunk and then working on somebodies vehicle? They are recreational drugs.. not occupational drugs.
Not at all. There is a huge difference between saying "This doesn't surprise me" and "This is OK".

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Not at all. There is a huge difference between saying "This doesn't surprise me" and "This is OK".
It surprises me. I worked in the oil and gas industry here in Colorado and we had random drug testing. That should be a requirement for folks working on vehicles IMO. I don't want somebody that is self medicating working on my dime, on my ride.

Yet another reason to DIY.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
How did we get to this point in this thread?

You guys summon a Ford Master tech to the thread to answer your questions... and you turn it into an adsm08 jamb pile.

you should all go to your corners and just relax.

I've worked as a Master Technician for many years... it is the most thanks less job there is on this planet. I suggest a few of you Master DIY'ers walk a mile in his shoes before you judge. My guess is most on here couldn't cut it.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How did we get to this point in this thread?

You guys summon a Ford Master tech to the thread to answer your questions... and you turn it into an adsm08 jamb pile.

you should all go to your corners and just relax.

I've worked as a Master Technician for many years... it is the most thanks less job there is on this planet. I suggest a few of you Master DIY'ers walk a mile in his shoes before you judge. My guess is most on here couldn't cut it.
We got to this point because somebody used the word "stealership" and said all dealerships are crooked, and as usual I slapped back at that, and hard.

I used to not get as worked up and drag threads off into the weeds on this when I had a down vote button, but since the change to Xenforo that feature has been removed. Xen probably doesn't include it in their software because it might hurt someone's feelings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals