• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual gas tanks in a Ranger ????

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt see any other place to post this so I'm posting it here.

In looking thru the body parts section at LMC Trucks I noticed up to 88 you can buy a bedside panel that has Dual fuel openings in it. I was very suprised by this as I have never seen a dual tank option on a Ranger, Any Ranger.

Has anybody ever seen dual tanks on a Ranger. What years were they avaible and could one be retro-fitted on a 89. Wonder were you would even find parts for that. So whats the story of dual fuel tanks on a Ranger as I would sure like to know. Thanks...

LV

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, it was an option at one time. The aux tank only gave you an extra 10gal or so though. My 94 has a hump in the bed for another fuel filler but no opening on the side panel. I'm planning on adding a 23gal BII tank to mine.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah my first truck, a 1983 Ranger had dual tanks. Surprising because it was also only a 4 cylinder.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I saw one a couple of months ago, i think i posted something about it on here, ive been thinking about doing it, Im ASSUMING the tank goes in place of the spare tire, but then, where does the spare tire go ??

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '87 longbox has the dual tank option. I pretty much just use it as a reserve tank for long trips.

The spare tire on mine mounts to a factory hold-down bracket at the left front corner of the box.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I saw one a couple of months ago, i think i posted something about it on here, ive been thinking about doing it, Im ASSUMING the tank goes in place of the spare tire, but then, where does the spare tire go ??

I remember seeing in the old sales brochures the spare being mounted in the front of the box for the dual tank option.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Just put the spare in the bed.

This has been a mod that I've had in the back of my head for a while.

The only thing really stoping me is the excessive body work that'd need to be done.

Like Crbunit said, a 23 gallon BII tank will fit where the spare tire goes.

I'd say graft what you from another bed. That'd be easiest for a 3rd gen like mine.

One thing I haven't looked into yet, is the switchover switch, etc. Maybe use one from a F-150?

This would be great for someone that takes long trips, or for those long trails.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I didnt see any other place to post this so I'm posting it here.

In looking thru the body parts section at LMC Trucks I noticed up to 88 you can buy a bedside panel that has Dual fuel openings in it. I was very suprised by this as I have never seen a dual tank option on a Ranger, Any Ranger.

Has anybody ever seen dual tanks on a Ranger. What years were they avaible and could one be retro-fitted on a 89. Wonder were you would even find parts for that. So whats the story of dual fuel tanks on a Ranger as I would sure like to know. Thanks...

LV
1983-88.

It was a 13gallon tank behind the axle.

I've seen several, and I have "trophies" of each I've seen in the junkyard.

Retrofitting on a gen2 would involve all the work normally associated with
retrofitting it into a Gen1, but with the additional complication of wiring a control system into the cab.

There is a current topic in "exterior" where I discuss the function of the original system and my changes to it to accomodate the additional complication of high pressure in-tank fuel pumps

Yea, it was an option at one time. The aux tank only gave you an extra 10gal or so though. My 94 has a hump in the bed for another fuel filler but no opening on the side panel. I'm planning on adding a 23gal BII tank to mine.
Actually SFAIK ALL rangers have the clearance for the filler in the deck because they still haven't changed that bed deck panel.

The spare tire goes on an in-the-bed tire carrier that mounts it against the bed side against the headgate on the drivers side.

Like Crbunit said, a 23 gallon BII tank will fit where the spare tire goes.

I'd say graft what you from another bed. That'd be easiest for a 3rd gen like mine.

One thing I haven't looked into yet, is the switchover switch, etc. Maybe use one from a F-150?

This would be great for someone that takes long trips, or for those long trails.
a 23gallon bronco2 tank fits EASILY ibehind the axle in a long box.

NOT AT ALL POSSIBLE in a short box.

the tank physically fits, what doesn't is the crossmember that
supports the tank due to interference with the left upper shock
mount.

As for theswitching, you need to understand how the fuel switching works on an F-series, and to do that you must first specific what year F-series
because they used three different methods over the years.
The first method is irrelevant.

The second used on EFI trucks through 1990 is equally irrelevant
because the bulky diaphrama actuated "passively controlled"
valve won't physically fit, and even if it did you really don't
want one (POS alert!)

The last scheme involves complications that I've discussed in
the other thread:

http://204.14.93.181/forums/showthread.php?t=20939

I'll be happy to discuss the subject and offer pointers to others In these topics.

PLEASE do not PM me on this subject because if anyone
has any questions I'd prefer that everyone benefit
from the discussion (and not answer the same question
several times)

AD

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my first ranger had 2 tanks , 84 ranger sort box. and the spare tire was under the bed. the tanks were side by side.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
The auxiliary tank in the 1st gen Rangers will bolt into any year Ranger. The back half of the frame has remained almost unchanged, only the things attached to it have changed. By removing the spare tire carrier, everything for a rear tank will bolt into the later frames.

I did this on my '98 and then removed the mid-ship tank completely. Moving the filler door was as easy as cutting two square holes in the bedside and swapping them. I'm changing to a flairside so I've got to come up with a new plan there.

These are all the parts for the rear tank:

Mounted in the '98:

Fuel door:

Hardest thing about the whole thing is removing the spare tire carrier.

Greg

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That rgw Ranger Aux tank can be adapted to any Ranger, but before you even think about doing it you first need to understand several things.

An unrusted Ranger Aux tank is the closest thing to a "living fossil"
as you can get when discussing RBV parts.

Finding a useable pickup-sender unit is like finding a large sack of kugerrands
in the trunk of a rusted ford Maverick

And even if you have a good sender unit the sender won't work
with the later instrument panel guage AND the early tank unit
uses only a LOW PRESSURE pump.

It should be noted that you cannot buy either of these parts new.

Lastly not many people wand to decrease the fuel capacity of their truck.

OR use a smaller tank than will fit.

AD

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I have been thinking of placing a bii tank in my 87 ranger, But my idea was to run a aux fuel pump and pump the fuel from aux tank to midship tank. and watch the gauge to see how much fuel the midship tank has. this seems to be the easiest way. this way I dont need to worrie about fuel switch or any other parts that are impossible to find.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty much what I was planning to do also. I had a buddy do that to his F350 van. He was able to "T" the fuel outlet from the Aux. tank to the main tank filler tube planning to use the aux. tank fuel pump as a transfer pump. What he found was the aux tank siphoned into the main on its own and didn't need the transfer pump.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Do not take this as me being a smart a$$, I'm simply stating what I have found.

An unrusted Ranger Aux tank is the closest thing to a "living fossil" as you can get when discussing RBV parts.
I live in Minnesota, the land-o-rust, and was able to find one. Lucky? Maybe. Check out www.car-part.com , there's alot of them listed.

Finding a useable pickup-sender unit is like finding a large sack of kugerrands in the trunk of a rusted ford Maverick
Again, www.car-part.com .

And even if you have a good sender unit the sender won't work with the later instrument panel guage AND the early tank unit
uses only a LOW PRESSURE pump.
I'm using the aux. tank pickup with (in my case) the Mark VIII fuel pump and Mark VIII guage sender. It's a relatively easy mod to do.

It should be noted that you cannot buy either of these parts new.
True.

Lastly not many people wand to decrease the fuel capacity of their truck.
OR use a smaller tank than will fit.
No, but some do. In a standard cab/short box it's only four fewer gallons, but it's located in a much better area for traction.

Greg

bigfattruckerll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1983 ranger xlt 4x4 it has duel tanks on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals