• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Bronco II rebuild the 2.8 or swap in a 302

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
No, the M5ODR2 is for a V8. Kinda, 97-04 4.2 (which is a V6) F-150 fits the best, the shifter is the same place as a Ranger trans (earlier R2's has the shifter farther ahead) The 4.2 has the same bellhousing pattern as a SBF, just needs the holes enlarged slightly. Then it is fullsize t-case and custom driveshafts.

I have an M5ODR2 out of a 2004 4.2 F-150 in my truck.
Not according to this link. If this link below is correct, they had a version that fit behind the cologne v6's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not according to this link. If this link below is correct, they had a version that fit behind the cologne v6's.

R1 is the V6 version. R2 is a scaled up R1 for fullsize truck 6cyl, V8 and supercharged V6.

R1 will not fit behind a V8 without a custom adapter plate... which would be a silly venture.

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This site claims a Mazda M50D-R1 will hold up behind a v8. Couldn't he get one of those transmissions, use an adapter, and then use his original transfer case behind that? Driveshafts probably would need modified correct?

Hopefully there is nothing much wrong with the 2.8.
So it would work. When doing these swaps, you have to decided where to stop the v8 parts and start using the ranger bronco parts. Looks like there are drawbacks to each way of doing it. If you use the driveshafts as the dividing line, then the v8 and all it's driveline parts take a lot of room up underneath. I wonder how short the driveshaft would be on a Bronco II with a all v8 driveline.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So it would work. When doing these swaps, you have to decided where to stop the v8 parts and start using the ranger bronco parts. Looks like there are drawbacks to each way of doing it. If you use the driveshafts as the dividing line, then the v8 and all it's driveline parts take a lot of room up underneath. I wonder how short the driveshaft would be on a Bronco II with a all v8 driveline.
The R1 will not work for a V8. No way around it.

R2 is close to the same length as an R1/A4LD so it is not a big deal. With the right t-case you will end up with a shorter than original powertrain.

With the R2 and NP205 I had to have the front shaft shortened and the rear one lengthened.

The point where you switch to using BII/Ranger parts is NOT at the transmission.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Obviously a v8 is the way to go

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
had some glue down there.....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
fawkin thing bounced through the big end too :ROFLMAO:

ranger1911

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, the M5ODR2 is for a V8. Kinda, 97-04 4.2 (which is a V6) F-150 fits the best, the shifter is the same place as a Ranger trans (earlier R2's has the shifter farther ahead) The 4.2 has the same bellhousing pattern as a SBF, just needs the holes enlarged slightly. Then it is fullsize t-case and custom driveshafts.

I have an M5ODR2 out of a 2004 4.2 F-150 in my truck.
Sounds like that's the route I'd go with too. Wikipedia said that the M5ODR2 has an "integrated" bellhousing... Does that mean it's a one-piece deal? (not removable bellhousing?)

Obviously a v8 is the way to go

Haha! Made me laugh. I'm not looking to pull wheelies. I drive through a small mountain pass to and from work every day and something with a little more oomph than the 2.8 is what I'm going for. And more plentiful parts.

R1 is the V6 version. R2 is a scaled up R1 for fullsize truck 6cyl, V8 and supercharged V6.

R1 will not fit behind a V8 without a custom adapter plate... which would be a silly venture.
Yeah, the adapter plate kit is 300 bucks, and requires a 164 tooth flywheel bellhousing which seems to be 100-200 bucks. I'd rather go to the junkyard and pull a transmission / transfercase with that money and not worry about the M5ODR1 i have blowing apart because it's too weak.

Regarding driveshaft modification, that's probably something I can do at work if it needs shortened. Would have to be balanced somewhere else though. Could probably lengthen too, if I can find the right kind of tubing. We rebuild hydraulic cylinders frequently so there might even be something sitting around, or I could get some at the junkyard to modify if needed. Have a mill / lathe and welders at work. I briefly though about trying to make the adapter plate (we do have a good CNC mill too) but I don't think it's worth the time or hassle to try and use the BII transmission.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i make driveshafts when i have too. you can get by.

4.0 is the way to go. i love the worn out pos 4.0 in my b2. its exploded several clutches....9 in rear ends...drive shafts....ass load of dana 44 shafts...and 3 transmissions.

but just one engine.

the 6.2 in my ranger. its pretty slow. but has better mpg.

you should do a cyclone.

ranger1911

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4.0 is the way to go. i love the worn out pos 4.0 in my b2. its exploded several clutches....9 in rear ends...drive shafts....ass load of dana 44 shafts...and 3 transmissions.
This may sound silly... I like old stuff. I don't want to do any fuel injection because I like to tinker and adjust things. I like woodworking too and I try to use only hand (human powered) tools. I like old rifles. Old non computer controlled engine? Hell yeah, sign me up.

My wife and I just got our VW Bug on the road after working on it for a year. Rebuilt the engine, re-wired the whole damn thing because of the last owner's handiwork.

Got an old motorcycle too I'm working on. 1980 KZ650. I had a 2000GSX-R I bought for cheap but it came to me in crates and a rolling chassis with the engine in it. Got it all pieced back together and the electrical system gave me fits. Sold it and bought the old one.

I dunno. I like getting old junk cleaned up and working again. So I got an old junk engine that maybe I can clean up, fix, and get running again to put in my old junk BII ;)

The 2.8 irritates me the more I work with it. I tried to do a compression test but can't because the tester won't screw into the spark plug hole (not enough clearance for the threaded insert's body to get in far enough to thread). Even tried the rubber nipple type but I can't hold it on and turn the engine by myself. I may end up taking the threaded adapter piece into work and turning it's OD down to the sparkplug's diameter.

Stuff like this makes me laugh. I tried threading into 3 different plug holes before I realized what the problem was 😂 tester worked fine with 4 different engines but not the 2.8, figures haha

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
The 4.0 ohv eec4 is easier to work on then a carb. Tinkering is quite easy and varied too.

If you don't wheel it in complex terrain...you can put a carb on it.

Low end rivals or exeeds a 302. It makes much less heat...and is lighter. Àç is bolt in.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Of course, if you desire 250 plus HP....sbf all day.

The 4.0 allows you to keep the power train in place so no driveshaft math and costs.... where any other choices require full power train replacement.....exceeding 300 HP requires a rear end too.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
And note.....I like simple. Look at my truck. It has a mechanical diesel and runs on used motor oil mix.

Tinkering is an understatement.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Exploder 5.0 Gt40 intake port and polished 3 bar or 4 bar heads, with a mild cam tfs1 or a Bcam and 24lb injectors will get you 300hp easily.

My first engine was decent the second one has alot more nuts.

M5OD-R2 very easy to put in with the motor at the same time. On a my truck You basically need to unbolt the radius arms and pry down on the suspension to get it out without pulling the engine also or without a body lift.

Not many mods needed to get to a decent daily driver.

Maybe,
My build thread has some useful information in it for you.

I have to update it to recently I put a T5 in so but I have like no time but Saturday to do anything.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like that's the route I'd go with too. Wikipedia said that the M5ODR2 has an "integrated" bellhousing... Does that mean it's a one-piece deal? (not removable bellhousing?)
Yup, one piece deal. 97-03 (and 04 Heritage) 4.2 F-150 fits the best. You do have to enlarge the metric bellhousing bolt holes to fit the standard bolts in a SBF.

Yeah, the adapter plate kit is 300 bucks, and requires a 164 tooth flywheel bellhousing which seems to be 100-200 bucks. I'd rather go to the junkyard and pull a transmission / transfercase with that money and not worry about the M5ODR1 i have blowing apart because it's too weak.
Mine was $150, if you like to tinker they are a fun trans to take apart.

Pack a lunch because they are a PITA to pull, at least the 4wd variant is because there is suspension stuff behind the t-case you have to remove. Also grabbing the separator plate from a SBF truck with the M5OD is advised (by me)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals