• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chainsaws....

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice saw Rusty, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it and won't regret it. I don't think you did too bad for a new saw at all. Good saws aren't cheap but they are less problematic no matter what everyone else tries saying. If you're like me you want to be able to just grab the saw and get to work and not have to worry about issues. Like I said before I won't even bother taking tools with me whenever I go cut wood because it never needs worked on. The tool-less gas/oil caps are nice too. Never realized how nice they are until you go to open the cap on another saw and realize you need a damn screwdriver or pliers lol. haters.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Why don't you guys ditch the small stuff and get something "manly".....

Attachments

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Nice saw Rusty, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it and won't regret it. I don't think you did too bad for a new saw at all. Good saws aren't cheap but they are less problematic no matter what everyone else tries saying. If you're like me you want to be able to just grab the saw and get to work and not have to worry about issues. Like I said before I won't even bother taking tools with me whenever I go cut wood because it never needs worked on. The tool-less gas/oil caps are nice too. Never realized how nice they are until you go to open the cap on another saw and realize you need a damn screwdriver or pliers lol. haters.
Lol, if you only knew how much abuse Stihl takes for those dammed flippy caps on other forums. Typical German engineering - why use 1 part when 5 will do? Lots of guys have worn a tank of oil down their leg thanks to those!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think ya did fine. I'm a Stihl guy so I obviously approve... sounds like you will use your saw quite a bit more than I use my MS-180 and I was pretty sure I had mine pushed to its limits, I think you did the right thing buying a bigger one. Do they still give you a longer warranty if you buy the Stihl oil with the saw? They did on mine, got an extra year or two I think...not that I needed it but it was nice.

To the Poulan haters - I will say that having rebuilt a couple dozen saws of all brands, I have nothing against them. I feel like air filters are the #1 cause of failure on cheap saws. Stihl, Husky, Echo, etc have good filters... some of the cheapo ones just have a little piece of foam and of course you end up with a scored piston and very little compression and you're pissed. Apart from that they are all very similar! Homeowner saws are ALL built cheap these days.

FWIW my collection includes several Stihls, Husky 372XP, Mini Mac (McCulloch), Poulan Micro XXV, Homelite XL2 w/ 10" bar, and a Craftsman cordless. I like them all...especially the little ones... clearly

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@8thTon it doesn't matter what you know or have done with a chainsaw... your crow just isn't going to be black enough. I am grateful you have some knowledge with my saw... I may be asking some questions in the future.

@rusty ol ranger congrats on the new saw... I will be curious to hear your thoughts after you've put some time in with it. There will most likely be a new saw in my future if and when I ever get back to northern Michigan.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well i took it out today...ran just over a tank of fuel through it, cutting enough to put a pretty decent load on my dads 94 S10....heres my impressions...

1- It starts eaiser then any saw....ever. Lock the trigger, full choke, yank 3 times, part choke, fires. Remarkable.

2- Smooth as silk. Ran it about 45 minutes straight and was not feeling a thing. Big difference from the mcculloch.

3- Its got power. But unlike my old mcculloch or even husky i learned quick i couldnt lean on it to cut faster....the little 35cc stihl rips as long as you let the saw do the work, so it is a little slower then the big 50cc's im used to but overall it never felt overburdend in anything big.

So far im very impressed. Gonna go out saturday and cut a shit ton. Im looking forward to it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From my experience, leaning on saws means your chain is dull. The weight of the saw should be all that is needed to cut through wood. I'd get a full chisel chain since it probably came with a semi-chisel chain.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
From my experience, leaning on saws means your chain is dull. The weight of the saw should be all that is needed to cut through wood. I'd get a full chisel chain since it probably came with a semi-chisel chain.
Full chisel chains are not necessarily available for every saw nor are they necessary, and for the homeowner/inexperience operator they are not nearly as safe to use since the potential for kickback is much greater. It's a matter of the right tool for the job... no need to use a sledge hammer when you're driving picture hanger nails into sheetrock ya know...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Full chisel chains are not necessarily available for every saw nor are they necessary, and for the homeowner/inexperience operator they are not nearly as safe to use since the potential for kickback is much greater. It's a matter of the right tool for the job... no need to use a sledge hammer when you're driving picture hanger nails into sheetrock ya know...
In my parts computer the note that nobody can see that isn't looking at the computer for full chisel chain is "NOT FOR WEEKENDERS!" so if I am on a parts run or something the book keeper will be less likely to send somebody home with more chain than they are expecting.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Why don't you guys ditch the small stuff and get something "manly".....
If I was doing competition or cutting down trees in the Northwest, sure. Most times, the 20” saw I have is enough or more than enough.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The Stihl standard low profile, low kickback chain I have on my MS180 is PLENTY for that saw, I think if I had a more aggressive chain I'd be running into issues of an underpowered engine. I have a little more aggressive chain on my Husky 372XP, but that thing is a BRUTE... aftermarket big bore 76cc saw that I intend on using on a sawmill for slabbing logs at some point.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My brother in law has a pulan from tractor supply and I hate that thing with a passion. Even new it never worked right.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
My brother in law has a pulan from tractor supply and I hate that thing with a passion. Even new it never worked right.
When it comes to saws, no matter the brand or model someone has one that hates the damn thing ‘cause it never worked. Usually the reality is it worked pretty well the first and last time they used it 8 years ago, and has been sitting with that fuel in it since.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This was one of those blister pack saws that hang on the shelf, i used it when it was new. You had to rev it hard before laying into even a tiny peice of wood. Im sure pulan makes good stuff, but the cheapo saws from box stores suck... a year later running nothing but tru-fuel in it and it still bogs down if you tilt it sideways before getting it to full speed or before hitting wood. And in sappy pine it gets gummed up quick and stalls.

Im by no means a good wood cutter but my old crappy homelite that I rarely use will shred compared his pulan.

I don't cut wood at my place, i get it delivered in rounds and split it. My brother in law cuts his wood/trees.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When it comes to saws, no matter the brand or model someone has one that hates the damn thing ‘cause it never worked. Usually the reality is it worked pretty well the first and last time they used it 8 years ago, and has been sitting with that fuel in it since.
Funny you said that...

I got a sthil FS45 weedwacker that broke the driveshaft (and i think needs a clutch) and it sat for the last 2 years, same gas, etc.

I pulled it out, pumped the primer and 3 pulls it fired right up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals