• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chainsaws....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Milwaukee saw is pretty cool and people seem to like it. I would buy one if it wasn't so big - why they did not start with a top handle model is beyond me... DeWalt and Makita both have top handle saws that are very compact. The ideal battery powered saw for me would be a top handle Milwaukee with about a 12" bar. Perfect to throw in the tool box, cut up campfire wood, limbing or clearing fallen trees from the trail. The current Milwaukee saw is just too big for that purpose.

I think they're potentially a good deal if you have other cordless tools of that same brand AND several large batteries... they will burn through batteries. If you're going to cut a lot, you probably need a couple 12ah batteries, plus the saw and a charger... that's easily $600+. The difference between that and a $200 gas saw will buy a LOT of gas...
I have a customer that picked up a little Stihl cordless for trimming at the local JD dealer. I forget the price, I think it was around $350-400. He wrote his check and was getting ready to leave "do you need a battery and charger too?" "oh, yeah" so he gets that too and goes home. A month later he gets a bill for the battery and charger, brings the total up to $650. For a little 12" saw.

He wasn't a very happy camper. And to add to his dismay it is a special chain so he is stuck going back there for bars and chains. I am an Oregon dealer and they offer NOTHING for it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As much as I like stihl I wouldn't get their cordless saw... Between all the top brands it seems like milwaulkee or echo had the better battery operated saws. Makitas take 2 batteries so that's twice the problems.... However I think the mikita battery operated miter saw is cool and would be very handy. My miter saws are not on a stand so I always have to set it up on a work bench or stand whenever I need it. Damn small single car garages..... Need more space for all my toys....

I priced some of the battery saws and they get $500+ pretty easy, especially if you want 2 GOOD batteries which most of us would want 2 batteries.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
$300 for a battery powered saw, tool only is not out of line, IF (big IF) you have other tools that share the same battery. I will probably buy a Milwaukee if they come out with one that's more compact - I already have a bunch of M18 tools and a bunch of batteries... and I am a sucker for cool chainsaws.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals