• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slipping off road

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If either front tire is spinning (whole lot easier to spin an axle without a tire attached to it in an unlocked hub than a single tire breaking traction), both hubs are working, and to slide sideways means both front tires are spinning

a WHOLE LOT simpler solution is just to air down the tires a little, if you're running street pressure like 30psi, even dropping down to 20psi will be a game changer at least on the front tires and as long as you aren't driving for really long distances shouldn't hinder tire wear all that much
Yes, if one front hub wasn't locked there would be no drive wheel in the front, and if surface was slippery then no steering so you would slide in a straight line assuming rear wheels were still pushing in 4low

Yes, letting out some air gives a better footprint for traction

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Spent yesterday working at the cabin. The hubs are now locked, plus being being worried with my wife and dog in the truck (mostly the dog, she has a seat belt) I took the extra precaution of airing down the tires (good tip, thanks). It still felt a little skittish but not as bad. I think my PVHs were probably working OK before but last time was right after the rain, it's had a few days to dry out. Also less air pressure I'm sure helped. It's a 20 mile trip on paved road from my house to cabin, prefer the extra air in the tires, going to have to play around and find a compromise.

Manual hubs on the way, thanks for the old hub removal instructions.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For a 20 mile trip, tire wear should be fairly negligible down around 20psi, gas mileage and engine load will go up a little but I don't think I would worry about it for the occasional use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for manual everything, I wish my '00 Explorer had hubs but being an AWD from the factory it was full time, went to manual transfer case on that thing, most of my vehicles are manual transmission (two Rangers, one F350, a Geo Tracker and a tractor) and everything with hubs that can be disengaged have manual hubs... I think you are on the right track and glad you're making progress!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Portable 5 gal air tank, with gauge and fittings runs about $50-$70

12volt tire inflator takes some time but works, get one with a pressure gauge built-in, $30-$50

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Portable 5 gal air tank, with gauge and fittings runs about $50-$70

12volt tire inflator takes some time but works, get one with a pressure gauge built-in, $30-$50

Haha, my dad had an air chuck on an old 5 gallon propane tank around here somewhere when I moved home

Some of those 12V inflaters kick but

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When offroading I keep one of the Harbor Freight $60 compressors with me usually, can air up a 35" tire from under 10psi to 25psi in under 10 minutes I'm pretty sure (never timed it), the $30 version works ok but takes almost twice as long...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I might have the same inflator. Does it have the clamps for hooking directly up to the battery? If so, that thing does a nice job. It might even be better than my 120V inflator.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yep, it's pretty good for the money

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, my locking hubs are due here today, and I have to take a front wheel off anyway, apparently, to change my temp gauge sensor, so I might as well put them on. Is it just a matter of getting those locking tabs open, slipping the old vacuum hubs off and snapping the new ones on?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Yes, my AVMs recommended a light oiling with motor oil. No grease.

The tabs are a pain but if you won't reuse the old ones then just pry each one out without worrying about breaking. If you want to save them, start prying gently and shove a piece of bailing wire under the tab. Work your way around and probably after getting about half way around, it'll probably slide off if you tip it a bit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The rear limited slip will definitely get you sideways even in 4WD if you aren't careful....though its not nearly as bad with a part time 4WD system like the Ranger and most trucks have, but man in full time 4WD mode in my Jeep with the trac-lok rear differential it'll go sideways on you right quick if you are too heavy footed with that skinny pedal LOL.

Your mud terrain tires are also part of the problem, they're mud tires not snow tires they don't have the grip needed for snow use, bet if you change tires to a winter set you'll see even better results.

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm slipping in the mud, no snow here, figured mud tires were the thing to use. I do have some BFFG All Terrains on other rims but I'm doing pretty well on these now.

Got the locking hubs installed, that took about 20 minutes. 19.5 to get those plastic clips wired up and off, and 30 seconds to snap the new hubs on. Don't know who thought up that arrangement but much prefer the bolts used other hubs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That specific setup was only used for 3 years on Rangers, 1998-2000, so we are just lucky a company like AVM even made manual hubs for conversion :)

And yes bolted on for drive train parts is preferred, IMO, but Ford did quite a few years and 4x4 vehicles with "internal mounts" which are the "clip on" types
Chevy and Dodge did some as well

You can see then here at AVMs website: http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm

PaulZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Seems I could have picked a better year Ranger to buy, last OHV, vacuum hubs, I guess they updated the Mazda 5 speed..

Oh well, I still love the thing and hope I get a lot of use out of it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l OHV was a more reliable engine package than the 4.0l SOHC, IMO, 1 short timing change versus 3 long chains, enough said, the extra power is nice but less power ALL THE TIME(no breakdowns) is better IMO, lol.

The change in the M5R1 transmission was to add an extra bolt hole in the bellhousing for the increase in HP/torque in the 4.0l SOHC, thats what the "HD" means, also the shifter arm was changed a bit, but just length not integral to operation

M5R1 or M5R1-HD for either 4.0l used the same gear ratio set, and the whole transmissions are interchangeable, from 1990-2011
The 4cyl and 3.0l used different gear sets
All used the same bearing sets

The PVH was a bad idea, lol, but Ford knew that fairly quickly, so just went to Live Axles as soon as possible

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals