• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Greengeeker, I went through this whole thread. Mostly looked at the pics but did a lot of reading. At the end I knew I would need to pick your brain when the time comes so made a profile on this forum just so I could comment on your thread and contact you.

Being a big VW guy myself, I recently started toying with the idea of swapping in an ALH into a ranger. You can't imagine how ecstatic I was to find that somebody had already taken the steps I had been contemplating in all the ways I want to do it. From the integrated wiring loom to the fan control module with the cooling fans, Radiator and FMIC to the after market and upgraded bits like the 11mm pump, stage2 clutch kit and Malone tune.

The only thing you haven't covered that I am going to do is build the block. Although that wouldn't change the swap.

I also intend to get an upgraded rear end. I saw some talk about it early on but didn't that you actually did it. I'd like to have rear disk brakes and I'm not sure what the Ranger rear end could handle in terms of HP/Tq.

Major kudos to you for your accomplishments in this build.

Last edited:

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey greengeeker, do you get gear chatter with the truck like you do when you swap from a DMF to a SMF in a tdi?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Greengeeker, I went through this whole thread. Mostly looked at the pics but did a lot of reading. At the end I knew I would need to pick your brain when the time comes so made a profile on this forum just so I could comment on your thread and contact you.

Being a big VW guy myself, I recently started toying with the idea of swapping in an ALH into a ranger. You can't imagine how ecstatic I was to find that somebody had already taken the steps I had been contemplating in all the ways I want to do it. From the integrated wiring loom to the fan control module with the cooling fans, Radiator and FMIC to the after market and upgraded bits like the 11mm pump, stage2 clutch kit and Malone tune.

The only thing you haven't covered that I am going to do is build the block. Although that wouldn't change the swap.

I also intend to get an upgraded rear end. I saw some talk about it early on but didn't that you actually did it. I'd like to have rear disk brakes and I'm not sure what the Ranger rear end could handle in terms of HP/Tq.

Major kudos to you for your accomplishments in this build.
Thanks madmodder!

I did upgrade the 7.5 to an 8.8 with 3.08 gears. I'm still wanting to do a limited slip with a 3.27 rear end if such an animal every existed. I'm more worried about the transmission than I am the axle/rearend.

Built up lower end is needed when you are getting to the 400ft-lb territory. I should have close to that amount of fueling available on my next step. I do have a completed 2L TDI block with H section rods that I'm considering buying.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey greengeeker, do you get gear chatter with the truck like you do when you swap from a DMF to a SMF in a tdi?
Yes, definitely gear chatter when sitting there with the clutch out and in neutral. Actually, it's much louder than a TDI since the transmission is out in the open.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yes, definitely gear chatter when sitting there with the clutch out and in neutral. Actually, it's much louder than a TDI since the transmission is out in the open.
Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad.

EDIT: Oh, and explorers did come with a 3.27 ls rear end but not rangers.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'll snap a video with clutch in and out to show the difference.

For the axle experts - can I just buy the explorer axle and swap the guts, brakes, etc? That way I don't have to deal with the suspension and my airbag setup.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Redyno

Well I finally got a free day to run this back to the same Mustang dyno as I did before. Went pretty well. Didn't break anything.

I did have to stop the pulls short at 3800rpm due to EGTs. I'm not sure where it would have stopped but it appears to be climbing pretty nicely when I shut it down.

Stage 1 = vnt15, Malone tune (16psi), stock nozzles, 10mm pump
Stage 2 = vnt15, updated Malone tune (16psi), R520 nozzles, 10mm pump

A couple of videos..:icon_thumby:
Fuel pressure: https://youtu.be/r8TmdgXDc7c
Axle wrap: https://youtu.be/QQxBJZRj52o
Boost response: https://youtu.be/iI_pv7e_SiY

Last video is from my first run and it appears I stopped a little early (1610F). My third and best run I stopped at 1650F.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nice numbers! It looks like that's give a OHV 4.0 a good run for its money.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
VNT-17 or something a bit more headroom?

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Going for 5.0 power then. This'll be a rocket when its done.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I guess the 5.0 is only a few more than the SOHC so with the new turbo should be more at the crank than both.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Small update: just been using it as a truck... Hauling broken vw's to the scrap yard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals