• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Marlin 336C debicle

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
They had some Norinco SKS's at Cabela's in LaVista yesterday, they were pretty tempting and they even used detachable mags. I am trying to hold myself to getting a lighter/cheaper to feed bolt action first (probably Savage) I want to get something in the SKS's genre (AR, AK, SKS) it is easy to dicker back and forth on which one is better. For every good area one gun has, it also has a weakness that another gun shines in and vice versa.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!:icon_twisted:

Owning a WASR-10 (AK derivative) as well as an SKS, they are NOT the same category..... like comparing an M1 to an AR - different principles in design. One is a carbine and the other is an assault rifle. The AK is a helluva lot smaller than the SKS, and the SKS has a longer barrel and better accuracy. Besides, depending on state laws, you cant have a large capacity magazine anyways, so unless you want to be able to store your rifle in a pond and still have it operable, SKS > AK. I love the SKS, but the AK is basically the "I dont care what shitty ammo I feed it" plinker. First firearm was an 8mm Mauser, so getting a .22LR plinker wouldn't seem right to me...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!:icon_twisted:

Owning a WASR-10 (AK derivative) as well as an SKS, they are NOT the same category..... like comparing an M1 to an AR - different principles in design. One is a carbine and the other is an assault rifle. The AK is a helluva lot smaller than the SKS, and the SKS has a longer barrel and better accuracy. Besides, depending on state laws, you cant have a large capacity magazine anyways, so unless you want to be able to store your rifle in a pond and still have it operable, SKS > AK. I love the SKS, but the AK is basically the "I dont care what shitty ammo I feed it" plinker. First firearm was an 8mm Mauser, so getting a .22LR plinker wouldn't seem right to me...
To me they are in the same "military type gun to mess around with and maybe hunt with" category.

No rules about big mags but I don't see myself needing/wanting them often... basically non-issue. The internal mag SKS has about double the capacity of anything else I have aside from my .22 which it would tie. They had three or four of them up at Cabela's with detachable mags too if I wanted to go that route.

The big strike against the SKS to me is the stock. The rear grip is too flat for me (much like a Mauser) and while yes there are aftermarket stocks for it, all the ones that I otherwise like so far have the "Tacticool" rails all over them.

AK+
reliable
deer hunting legal round
tons of stuff available
sorta accurate
easy to mount a scope (which I think would increase accuracy)
neat looking
detachable mag (I wouldn't be terribly opposed to even a 10rd Wasr)

AK-
Kinda pricey per accuracy
short sight radius
quality is hit or miss
cruddy stock sights
heavy

SKS+
cheap
longish barrel
longer sight radius
deer hunting legal round
some stuff available
more than sorta accurate
decent reliablity
don't have to worry about detachable mag messing things up

SKS-
uncomfortable stock
same cruddy sights as AK
heavy
not as much stuff out there
quality is hit or miss
harder to mount scope
looks like a break action bb gun with a bayonet

AR+
accurate
light
comfortable
available new
tons of stuff available
detachable mag

AR-
very pricey
more complicated/picky
not deer hunting legal unless you pony up even more money for the 7.62x51 variant (which would then blow the other two away for accuracy)

Basically there inlies my delima. I ain't in a hurry so I ain't too worried about it though. :icon_thumby:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I get what you mean about the stock, I guess I just prefer the classic military stocks. I never thought I'd like a pistol grip on a rifle but it grew on me.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a norinco SKS, got it for $125 about 7 years ago. the price has gone up because they stopped making them (or so someone told me at a gun shop). a prized SKS would be finding a russian one, those are the best quality with the norinco's behind them. the rest of them are hit or miss and i wouldnt waste my money on them.

it's a fun gun to shoot, but i wouldnt recomend them, unless it was just something you wanted to hang on your wall and add to your collection.
-the factory wooden stock has a LOP that is way too short unless you're a 4'-8" chinaman.
-on top of that, all of the weight is in your non trigger pulling hand, it's extremely unbalanced.
-there are some accessories for them, a lot more than when i first got mine, but nothing close to an AK or AR.
-using the factory mag with stripper clips is the way to go, the detachable ones take a lot of filing to get them to feed right.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if you want an AK for hunting, get a Izhmash Saiga, it's made on the same lines as the legit russian AKs, and is a legit russian AK, with a sportzerised stock and trigger group.

can get them between 300-600 brand new.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a norinco SKS, got it for $125 about 7 years ago. the price has gone up because they stopped making them (or so someone told me at a gun shop). a prized SKS would be finding a russian one, those are the best quality with the norinco's behind them. the rest of them are hit or miss and i wouldnt waste my money on them.

it's a fun gun to shoot, but i wouldnt recomend them, unless it was just something you wanted to hang on your wall and add to your collection.
-the factory wooden stock has a LOP that is way too short unless you're a 4'-8" chinaman.
-on top of that, all of the weight is in your non trigger pulling hand, it's extremely unbalanced.
-there are some accessories for them, a lot more than when i first got mine, but nothing close to an AK or AR.
-using the factory mag with stripper clips is the way to go, the detachable ones take a lot of filing to get them to feed right.
Playing with them in stores I haven't really had much of a problem with the stock length or weight. I did find an aftermarket telescoping stock set that isn't too bad that would be great birthday/Christmas idea.

I see Cabela's has Romanians on sale for $279, lots of good reviews about them. Milled receiver... there are a lot of people that place them higher than Norincos. I haven't found a bad review on them yet. (for what little good that is, I couldn't find a bad review on the Marlin either)

if you want an AK for hunting, get a Izhmash Saiga, it's made on the same lines as the legit russian AKs, and is a legit russian AK, with a sportzerised stock and trigger group.

can get them between 300-600 brand new.
I don't really want one for just for hunting, I want one that I could take hunting if that makes any sense. Kinda ruling out AK's for the price and what you get.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Playing with them in stores I haven't really had much of a problem with the stock length or weight. I did find an aftermarket telescoping stock set that isn't too bad that would be great birthday/Christmas idea.
one kinda like this?

my buddy had one on his norinco, it was nice, very comfortable. cheaper than dirt has some of the best prices i've seen on them. i have the folding stock on mine right now, but i dont really like it. i knew a guy with a russian sks that had a dragnov stock, it wasnt bad either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, like that. I would fuss for the green one though.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I actually managed to get ym hands on a Russian SKS and I don't dare tear into it or make it tacticool or some shit. That's what the WASR is for - if I feel like it. The Russians are too nice for me to feel good about throwing plastic shit on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually managed to get ym hands on a Russian SKS and I don't dare tear into it or make it tacticool or some shit. That's what the WASR is for - if I feel like it. The Russians are too nice for me to feel good about throwing plastic shit on it.
I did my Mosin because I didn't want to beat up the pretty wood dragging it through timber looking for deer.

Dunno who I am saving it for, but after however many years old it is I don't want to be the one to screw it up.

And as mentioned before I really don't care for the shape of the factory stocks I have played with. Also as mentioned before I don't want to make it tacticool with laser sights, scopes and flashlights. Just a durable comfortable stock. I would call it more sporterizing than tacticool.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm tall, the LOP was so short on my SKS i had to get anotherstock. my nose was resting on my thumb.

the wood wasnt in great shape either, it was a gunshow purchase

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
i'm tall, the LOP was so short on my SKS i had to get anotherstock. my nose was resting on my thumb.

the wood wasnt in great shape either, it was a gunshow purchase
I managed to get an unissued, unfired one :D

I'm about 5'11", but I'm kinda stout, so the SKS is about perfect for my frame.

I'm guessing LOP is length of pull (?), but it feels comparable trigger-to-buttplate distance with my other rifles:

Top was my Belgian FN 24 Mauser clone (my first firearm)
Middle was my Mosin Nagant M44 carbine from 1945
Bottom is my 1953 Russian SKS.

They may be varying lengths overall, but comfort shooting was about the same. I've since sold the top two but kept the SKS, and now have a Yugoslavian Mauser, and a WASR-10 along with the SKS as far as rifles. Someday the WASR may get synthetic furniture, but I can't quite find what I want...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I managed to get an unissued, unfired one :D
That's a little different... I wouldn't mess with it either. I highly doubt I will stumble apoun one of those though.

I'm about 5'11", but I'm kinda stout, so the SKS is about perfect for my frame.

I'm guessing LOP is length of pull (?), but it feels comparable trigger-to-buttplate distance with my other rifles:
It is kind of hard to tell because you couldn't get the rifles lined up evenly but the Mosin looks a little longer than the SKS. I am 6'-3" and the LOP doesn't really bother me so much as the overall shape of the stock.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
something i heard today "....and the mosin nagant was designed by two drunk russian guys 120 years ago and if it can't kill it, it can't be killed."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals