Thanks all for replying and now to sheepishly tell you what happened. I mis-id'd the parts of the truck. I first replaced the speed sensor on the rear axle. I bought a new one, but that did not fix the problem. Today I took apart the other sensor, the sending sensor on the bell housing to my clutch. Most of my problems here are not know the correct names for the parts of my truck. When I undid the bolt to the sending sensor, well it was so loose, I just took it off by hand. I cleaned it with brake cleaner, all the parts and the connectors. Probably the wrong stuff to use, but all I had on hand. I replaced the part and tested the truck. The speedometer works and the truck no longer has that slight hesitation when stepping on the gas.
This is a pretty good explanation of the sensors over the years:
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/speedometers-how-they-work/#gsc.tab=0
I was hoping this would fix the ABS problem, that idiot light still is lit.