• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Heaters

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Engine Heaters
By mn_smokeater
Ford trucks are operated worldwide so that means that they will be in areas that can and do often get cold sometimes into the extreme cold. Engine heaters are used to aid the truck in starting easier and more efficiently as cold starts are far harder on a truck then a warm start. this is just a quick simple primer on what these heaters are and how they can be used.

Dipstick heaters: They take the place of your standard dipstick and heat the oil and air in the engine. most often are lower wattage then other heaters. they cant be used while running as it will interfere with the crankshaft also can not be used with plastic dipstick tubes. Runs off of a 110V outlet. 60-90 watts.

Magnetic heaters: They stick to the bottom of the oil pan or the block and then are just plugged in and removed when you go. some are made to be mounted permanently. come in a few ranges of wattage(300 and 200) surface must be able to take a magnet. Runs off of 110V outlets.

Freeze/Frost Plug Heater: This is the Standard factory method of engine heaters its also the cheapest but hard to install. its a permanent install. Runs off of 110V outlets. Wattages are between 400 to 600 on average.

Lower Radiator Hose Heater: this is mounted in-line with the hose and heats the coolant then the block and the oil through that. Runs off of 110V outlet.

External Tank Engine Heater: Like the above but this is routed through the heater hoses and heater core as well as the engine and its tank is used to heat the coolant passing through it thats pumped in and regulated by the internal thermostat. Runs off 110V outlet.

Silicone Pad Heater: Just like the heat pad you keep in your home but bigger and far hotter and is glued to the oil or transmission pan. Ran off 110V outlet.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Brought over from blue oval

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, up here Ford has what they call the "Winter" package as an option. Has the heater that goes in the core plug but also usually has the wrap around battery blanket warmer. Seems like a lot of people this Winter are looking for the above posted info. Just don't be like them idiots that leave the gas station with the hose still in the fill tube! Un-plug it!
DAve

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah i hope this info can help people out a bit.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
external tank heaters dont work well there was one on my diesel when i bought and it didnt help at all for cold starts. i would suggest a freeze plug style or a magnetic style they will be most effective.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
external tank heaters dont work well there was one on my diesel when i bought and it didnt help at all for cold starts. i would suggest a freeze plug style or a magnetic style they will be most effective.
They will all wear out. Tank heaters are the best since they actually circulate the coolant as it heats it. They are followed by freeze plug heaters, they just slowly heat the coolant. They are better to plug in over night, the tank heaters warm things up much quicker and don't need to be plugged in as long, they actually live longer if they are not.

Trust me, we have been putting in tank heaters hand over fist for the last month... farmers don't like it when their tractors don't start and when lows are around -20 diesels get awlful fussy.

Magnetic heaters heat the oil and a small spot on the oil pan, heating the coolant heats everything. We only use them to melt ice in places it shouldn't be (like gearboxes) and gelled fuel tanks.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
thanks for the added info guys its worth incoperating into the final edit

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i got to thinking about it i would bet the reason tank heaters work on tractors and not trucks is because the HVAC systems are set up diferently. my truck (AC equipped) wouldnt work because the mixing valve defaulted to a closed position when no vaccum was provided. there for at the hot coolant was pushed back through the radiator. which defeats the purpose oh heating it at all. A truck without AC would be more like your tractor were the mixing valve default open allowing back flow to the engine. as for the magnetic heater i guess it all chioce i know a lot of tractor trailer guys who swear by them cause its to a cold cylinder that keeps an engine from not turning over fast enough its cold high viscosity oil.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i got to thinking about it i would bet the reason tank heaters work on tractors and not trucks is because the HVAC systems are set up diferently. my truck (AC equipped) wouldnt work because the mixing valve defaulted to a closed position when no vaccum was provided. there for at the hot coolant was pushed back through the radiator. which defeats the purpose oh heating it at all. A truck without AC would be more like your tractor were the mixing valve default open allowing back flow to the engine. as for the magnetic heater i guess it all chioce i know a lot of tractor trailer guys who swear by them cause its to a cold cylinder that keeps an engine from not turning over fast enough its cold high viscosity oil.
Doesn't that just bypass coolant flow from the heater core but still let it circulate around the engine? Which would still heat the engine. If that is not the case (I have never really done much with the bypass deal) I would opt for the freeze plug heater, they still work very well at heating up the engine and you don't have to crawl around in the snow to take the heater off before you go anywhere. Some RBV engines (Like the 4.0) have a cast aluminum oil pan which they will obviously not stick to anyway.

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to bring an old thread back, but being from Fairbanks, AK I had to comment. Although the wrap around battery blankets do work fairly well, a good alternative is a automatic trickle charger 1.5 amp is what I use on my personal vehicles and the big rigs I maintain. The small amount of charge wont overcharge your battery but it will allow to battery to stay warm by charging itself similar to the way your alternator keeps your battery warm. They cost a little bit more then the battery blanket, but in the many years Ive used a trickle charger in place of a blanket all of my vehicles have never failed to start due to being too cold, even when its -60 outside. Just my .02

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals