• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pro comps

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have any input on the Pro Comp Xterrains. They are the ones with the directional tread and I was looking into them for my next set. I do a lot of street driving so that was kind of makin me think about them twice, but i like em. Any input would be nice, or other recommendations.
Thanks!

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I too was interested in the pro comp line. I ask a few days ago if anyone had any input... nobody answered. Myself, I'm looking at the Extreme MT, Looks similar to the Extreme AT.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I have a friend who has the xterrians on his full size bronco.hes had them about a year and they are almost bald,and this is his "weekend" truck.
they suck on the street with any weather.I know i have left some pucker prints in his seats on rainy days.they have a decent howl and not very smooth at lower speeds.
off road they do allright,but all but forget about backing out of a stuck.

I also have anouther buddy who has the procomp xtreme AT's on his superduty.cant say anything about off road, or any weather with them, but from over this summer they have seem to be a fair/good tire. not loud,grip pretty good on dry pavement, and ride nice...

If I wasnt so stuck on BFG's I would give the procomp xtreme TA a try.As from what I have seen so far(proably about 5,000 miles or so now) they seem to be a good tire.

just some rambling

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was on a trail ride with a guy who had a set of brand new xterrains and rubbed up against a downed tree and a branch went right thru his sidewall. I don't have any idea of how many ply sidewall they have but its the only sidewall puncture I've seen. The other problem then was they are a directional tire so if you need to change to your spare you never know if its mounted the right direction or not.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a buddy that had Pro Comps MT's and he loves 'em.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have a set of Pro Comp MTs that I use when I go off-road. I only have about 7,000 miles on them but they still look new with the exception of a little damage to the treads from climbing rocks. They have given me good traction in everything I have thrown at them (mostly desert) including mud.

I was driving over the Rocky Mountains on I-70 in a downpour with lot of water flowing across the road. They showed no sign of hydroplaning at all. They held traction better than anything around me. Most vehicle were driving about 20 mph and I felt completely safe at 55. I am sure once the tread is worn down halfway the resistance to hydroplaning will not be as good.

I have no personal experience with the Xterrains but most of what I have heard is bad.

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a set of the Pro Comp Xtreme M/Ts, so far they seem to be a perrty good tire. They are a little noisey on the road but hey they are a mud tire. I have only had them out in the sand and they did very well. I bought mine and they told me that they have a 50,000 mile warrenty.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya, my buddies got Pro Comp MT's on his tocoma. He's had 'em on there for like 2 years now, and he does a lot of highway driving, and they still have a lot of meat on 'em. From what I hear they are better in the snow than the BFG MT's.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The X Terrains finished dead last in a mud tire test in one of the magazines about a year ago. They're okay on sand and rocks and extremely loud on the street.
From people I know, the A/T and M/T are good. From what I've read, the Extreme A/T is good but I'd take a pass on the rest of their tires.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Im running a set of X-terrains I got from a buddy dirt cheap. In stock form they don’t do the best in mud, obvious by just looking at them. After grooving them the cleaning of the tires was greatly improved. Still want to cut away A little more to make them clean better.

As for street driving I have no experience with them, as the rig is trailered to the trail and sees no pavement at speeds. One thing I have noticed is that they climb out of ruts better then any tire I have run or seen before. You know the scenario, turned to lock in some ruts and you go strait. Well these climb out well. Also done damn well on the rocks so fare too.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
iam running the pro comp a/ts so far i love them.. very good all around tire.. i just bought a set of the mud terrain retreads for winter an their are BEEFY but make a nice howling down the rd haah

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a set of the MT's , and thus far they are better than the BFG's I had before .
I do more hiway driving than off road , but winter is here , and the snow is on it's way , so we will see .

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have now had the Extreme MT on for a couple weeks and can say nothing bad about them. Wet on road traction is exceptional. Gravel road traction is above what I would expect. Turf traction is outta this world. As far as anything extreme, I haven't been there yet but hope to soon. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Two thumbs up!

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
i have pro comp xterrains and i like them. They spit some serious dirt and really tear things up! They are quiet on the road but they dont seem that great im mud. sand, type dirt they are awesome and since thats what i 4by in they rock(good rock traction to)!

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ran 35" XTerrains once. They lasted almost 13k miles. I thought they'd last longer being radials. They did good on the street as far as manners/handling on dry pavement. They were noisy but I don't gripe about tire noise..........in fact, I like it.........some people don't though.

In the pic below, all four tires are spinning (front & rear lockers) on the rock & I always aired down to 8-10 psi. They were soft but yet they didn't grip the rock. Prior to that set, I ran BFG M/T's....................Never spun a tire on that same rock. After the ProComps, the TSL's never spun on that rock. After the TSL's, the IROK's never spun on that rock. Also, during snow wheeling, the TSL's, BFG's, & IROK's, got me through it. The XTerrains made me hook up my strap to my front tow hooks so the guy in front of me could pull me up snowy hills with his IROK's.

In the pic below, I got stuck with the Xterrains. My buddy the 86 Ranger with BFG's made it through.

To sum it up.............The XTerrains were the worst tires I have ever purchased. I don't like them & I feel I wasted my money on them. I say this because of running the same trails & the same obstacles with the XTerrains and other tires. The other tires always outperformed the Xterrains. My hatred for XTerrains is not based on hearing or reading stories about them...........it's based on actual experiences & events running the XTerrains & other tires.

I'm not trying to sway you away from them, I'm just giving my truthful input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals