• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger Performance upgrades???

cjroddam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know the best way to juice up an 08 Ranger 3.0? I dont mind the cost just wanna get some kick outta my 3.0. Cant seem to find a supercharger for the 3.0? any ideas are great...Thanks

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know the best way to juice up an 08 Ranger 3.0? I dont mind the cost just wanna get some kick outta my 3.0. Cant seem to find a supercharger for the 3.0? any ideas are great...Thanks
the only way id suggest "juicing" up a 3.0 is to swap in a bigger motor, on newer trucks forced induction is a nightmare and will enver pass inspection, i would try to find a 4.0 with all swap parts from a wrecked 08 ranger, have it all swapped over so u will still be emissions legal for 08

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what are you talking about? there are plenty of ways to "juice up" the 3.0...and a forced induction engine can easily pass emissions.

headers, chip, escape TB, 19lb injectors, gears, underdrive pulleys......will all add up. of coarse the noly way to get big power out of it is to just force it. there has only been one company to make supercharger kits for the vulcan, and they havnt made them for a number of years now. if you can find a used whipple kit, you could snag it up. otherwise you'll have to fab your own.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nos? ka-boom!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are you talking about? there are plenty of ways to "juice up" the 3.0...and a forced induction engine can easily pass emissions.

headers, chip, escape TB, 19lb injectors, gears, underdrive pulleys......will all add up. of coarse the noly way to get big power out of it is to just force it. there has only been one company to make supercharger kits for the vulcan, and they havnt made them for a number of years now. if you can find a used whipple kit, you could snag it up. otherwise you'll have to fab your own.
i know in NJ any vehicle has to maintain its original setup, whether it be NA or Turbo, or Supercharged.

you will have to pass emissions for the non modified engine, maintain all original emissions equipment.

inorder to pass inspection with forced induction u need to have a reciept from one of there NJ certified emissions shops do the work.

all those items you listed there, what would they actually add real world power, WHP

now i know on vehicles over 5 years old the restrictions here are a bit more laxed on modifications, but hes got a 08.

maybe if we can get him to chim in about what state hes in, that will help determine what he does

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
all those items you listed there, what would they actually add real world power, WHP
impossible to tell, as it will vary from engine to engine...but it will make an ass-dyno worthy improvement.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree if it was a older 3.0 theres alot more that can be done, but this is a virign 08, thats why i suggested just a bigger engine, cause im sure he could have the dealer do the conversion and it still be covered under warranty, all those other mods void warrantys

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
headers, gears, and (as far as i know) the pulleys wont void waranty. a tuner does technically, but it can be removed prior to having work done. i'd hate to price out an engine swap from a dealer (thats coming from a guy that works at one). they might not even be willing to do it.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, u know with the newer vehicles it is possible to know when they have had a tuner installed right?? buddy got caught with that on his 08 mustang, he removed it and set it back to stock but the second they hooked up to the scanner they saw it had been played with and voided his warranty on the spot

and, the op is the one that said.....
I dont mind the cost

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
obviously he neglected to erase the KAM.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
obviously he neglected to erase the KAM.

i just think anything to get the power he wants (supercharger) anything will void the warranty......i wonder if u could pay the dealer enough to put a 4.6 into a ranger lol and still have it covered under warranty

cjroddam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
First I live in Texas...anything goes here...I found this whipple supercharger kit for an 04-06 and wonder if it would work on mine? http://www.aaxel.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WK-200265B&Category_Code=whipple_supercharger_ford_ranger_02-06&Store_Code=AX also Thomas Knight claims in an email to me that he has a universal turbocharger thing he makes that will work in my truck also: "I HAVEN'T LOOKED AT AN '08 TO SEE IF THE ENGINE IS STILL THE SAME VULCAN V6 WITH A PAD MOUNT ALTERNATOR. IF IT IS, THEN OUR UNIVERSAL FORD V6 TRUCK SETUP WILL FIT. WE NOW EXCLUSIVELY PRODUCE OUR BELT DRIVE TURBOS (BDT) AND HAVE A UNIVERSAL V6 FORD TRUCK ALTERNATOR MOUNTED SETUP FOR ONLY $1950 + $50 SHIPPING ($2000 TOTAL). THE BDT BOLTS TO A CUSTOM BRACKET THAT BOLTS TO THE ALTERNATOR. THE ALTERNATOR GETS A CUSTOM DUAL PULLEY THAT REPLACES THE ORIGINAL ALT PULLEY. THE DOUBLE PULLEY SPINS THE BDT. VERY SIMPLE AND VERY POWERFUL. YOU MUST SUPPLY THE COLD AIR INTAKE, AIR FILTER, SILICONE HOSES, ETC. WITH A TOTAL BUDGET OF $2500 OR LESS YOU CAN MAKE A SAFE 5 PSI SYSTEM. TO PLACE A DEPOSIT OR MAKE A PURCHASE, GO TO MY WEBSITE WWW.BOOSTHEAD.COM AND UNDER 'MAKE' CHOOSE 'FORD', UNDER 'MODEL' CHOOSE '2.6-3.8', AND UNDER 'PRODUCTS' CHOOSE 'PLACE A $500 DEPOSIT'. YOU CAN BUY 1-5 DEPOSITS, DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU WANT TO PUT DOWN AT THIS TIME. THERE IS NO TIME LIMIT ON HOW LONG YOU TAKE TO FINISH PAYING IT OFF. WHEN YOU PAY THE FINAL BALANCE THE KIT WILL BE SHIPPED TO YOU. ALLOW 2-3 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY."

If the whipple supercharger for older model ranger 3.0's will work then i will just look for that since it is direct bolt on

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u must keep in mind only do those products if warranty is no concern for you, ass odds are if u like to get into the pedal alot they can make quick work of a 3.0 not built to handle them

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your '08 SHOULD be the same as previous vintages of 3.0. i havnt heard of any changes for the new model year and it sure looks the same as the last generation did. if there were any changes, they would be minor changes to the intake, accessory placement, and the like. the blocks and heads will be the same.

if you can get ahold of (and afford) a whipple kit, i'd go that route, since its a much higher quality setup the the TK "universal" setup. most whipple guys obtain 12PSI regularly (thats 250+ ponies). the stock internals seem to hold up well to this boost (just dont let it go lean on you), with head gaskets being the first things to go, usually around 17PSI.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but, i never say what other guys do in this scenario, we never know the sort of forced induction experience of the person asking the question, never say best case, because while many guys can run 12psi, there are guys that say OH if they can do it so can it, and try it and blow there motors becuase they dont know when to hold back on the throttle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals