Ford EX: Taking the outfitter line-up to the extreme edge of adventure
The Ford EX concept vehicle stakes its claim in the extreme domain of the “No Boundaries” SUV line-up, promising a unique, no-compromise driving experience for the off-road enthusiast and extreme sports authority.
“The EX Concept is the farthest extension of the Outfitters family of SUVs yet,” says J Mays, Ford Motor Company vice president of Design. “It is the most extreme of the Outfitters concept vehicles and was built to explore a unique lifestyle and cohort group.”
This two-seat concept vehicle is purpose-built and features high- quality, detailed composite body sections on a Chrome-Moly steel frame. The frame is tough, durable, resistant to corrosion and ready to take on any off-road adventure.
The mechanicals, such as the transfer case and aluminum radiator with dual fans, are moved rearward to achieve a 50/50 weight distribution, providing optimal traction in rugged terrain. An ecto-skeletal design allows the components to be visible, and removable side body panels are secured to the frame by lightweight aluminum fasteners.
The exposed front frame structure is accentuated by a honeycomb texture front grille and four round high-intensity driving lamps, which gives the overall appearance a tough, solid stance.
The bronze tinted windshield folds down and clips to the top of the hood, giving the occupants the feeling of freedom that comes from open-air driving.
In lieu of door handles, padded grip areas on the top and side frame ease access when climbing in and out of the vehicle. Other features include dual stainless steel side exiting exhausts, five-spoke, 17-inch cast aluminum wheels, and a full size spare tire cradled behind the seating area.
The interior features a full roll cage and seats wrapped in a black and tan all-weather material. This versatile textile resists damage from the sun, ozone and weather and displays outstanding physical toughness. The steering wheel and instruments are mounted on a steering mechanism that glides from side to side to allow for easier entry and exit.
Occupants strap into their seats with four-point safety belts and dual air bags are located in the center of the wheel and the instrument panel.
A removable central storage bin bridges the rear suspension while an additional storage bin is positioned on a bar located under the instrument panel. Map pockets are placed on the side panels to store smaller equipment.
The floor is washable and features integrated molded rubber non-skid pads and floor drain plugs.
Ford EX Specifications:
- Vehicle Type: Front-engine
- Four-wheel drive
- Engine: SOHC, V.6, 4.0L
- Super charged / inter-cooled
- Power: 375 hp @ 4,600 rpm
- Torque: 410 lb.ft @ 3,800 rpm
- Drivetrain: Five-speed manual transmission
- Dimensions: Overall length: 139.25 inches
- Overall height: 62.5 inches
- Overall width: 76 inches
- Wheelbase: 100 inches
- Track width, front: 62.75 inches
- Track width, rear: 64 inches
- Angle of approach: 52.5 degrees
- Angle of departure: 90 degrees
- Weight: 2600pounds – 50 percent front / 50 percent rear
- Front Suspension: Independent with dual coil over reservoir shocks per corner
- Rear Suspension: Independent with dual coil over reservoir shocks per corner
- Front Brakes: 13″ x 1.25″ Disc – 4 piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: 13″ x 1.25″ Disc – 4 piston calipers
- Wheels Size: 9.5 x 17-inches
- Wheel type: Cast aluminum
- Tires: BF Goodrich 33/12.50/17
Click the photos to enlarge – click the arrows to load more.