Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Mazda B-Series Specific

Notices

Mazda B-Series Specific Addressing issues specific to the Mazda B-Series trucks

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
CJDurden

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B2300
CJDurden is on a distinguished road
Default Manual Transmission won't go into gear

One day shifted fine no issues, the next it won't go into any gear with the engine on. With the engine off, it will go into all gears just fine. My truck is a 1997 Mazda B2300 with the 2.3L engine. It has the manual 5 speed from factory and the whole truck is original. I checked to see if there was anything leaking and there is not. Just looking to be pointed in the general direction to fix this thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
CJDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
trail B2

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 and DD
trail B2 will become famous soon enough

It sounds more like a clutch problem than a tranny problem.Put it in gear with the motor off hold the clutch down and try to start it.Does it try to drive away with the clutch pedal all the way down if not does the clutch disengage like it used to.Check the clutch master cylinder[next to the brake master cylinder] to see if he has any fluid.If these confirm clutch problems start searching clutch repair options.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
CJDurden

Default Update

Ok so I went out there and checked the fluid. It was full. With the truck off I put it in gear and started it. It feels like it catches just a teeny bit but not enough to really count as "grabbing". When I started it like that I could shift all the gears with it running and pressing and releasing the clutch. After a few minutes of letting it sit in neutral, I would try it again and it wouldn't go into any gear again. What I am thinking is that it actually is a clutch problem maybe the throwout bearing or something. If I replace the clutch, I will be replacing everything I can get my hands on in there. Any opinions otherwise or maybe some different troubleshooting tips?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

I got a 93 really cheap with that symptom.

Its transmission was virtually dry/empty and the excess heat (I presume) made the slave quit working after about a mile. I put a replacement trans with a new slave in it.

Yours might just be a bad slave (or less commonly, the Master) but you should make sure the trans ATF is full, by removing the fill plug on the driver side.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Ak907Girl

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Model: F-150 XL
I use this vehicle for: Being a Big Girl!
Ak907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really nice

My 93 doesn't like to shift sometimes either. I have to double pump a lot, I was told by my dad that it might be the clutch pack. Otherwise I don't know. Mine hates first gear, but after trying to shift into second then putting in first (before letting off the clutch) it'll go in. Let me know if you figure out what it is.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you dont have ice, carpet and floormat between the pedal and floor also. Have someone pump the clutch pedal and look at your lines to make sure they are not swelling up, it dont take much swell to loose it.

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
CJDurden

So I let her sit for a day. I went out this morning and she went into all gears with the engine on and cold. I put it in neutral and let her get to normal temp and tried again. Went into all gears fine, no grinding or anything. So I decided to give it a test run. Drove it around the block getting into all gears just fine. Stopped and went in reverse for half a block and everything was fine. Took it onto the highway shifting gears fine. What is up with this thing. I couldn't GET her to NOT go into any gear. All the fluids are full, I haven't added anything or done anything to her yet. Any thoughts?

PS I checked the lines for swelling like Lima suggested and I couldn't see anything swell. I live in Texas so not a lot of ice here. There is no carpet underneath the pedal and nothing else to get in the way.

Last edited by CJDurden; 01-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
alwaysFlOoReD
Blang - not bling

Vehicle Year: '91, '85, '77
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger, b-II, f-250
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, towing
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

I had similar symptoms in my '85 b-II. I tried bleeding numerous ways and times, sometimes it seemed to get better?!?! I finally tracked it down to the flange on the master cylinder; it was broken on one side allowing the master to move, so incomplete movement INSIDE the master. I've also seen the floor boards ['87 ranger] have a crack that allowed master cylinder movement.
Food for thought.
Good luck,

Richard
Quote:
Originally posted by TRS member;
I did some reading and apparently I have no idea what I am talking about.
alwaysFlOoReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
remo1967

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Mazda b3000
Vehicle Model: dual sport
I use this vehicle for: work and play
remo1967 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to remo1967

Same thing happened to my 2003 b3000 last week its a bad slave cylinder. So i replaced everything because i had it apart any ways
remo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote