• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 head on 2.3 block

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...

My 2.5 used the 96 coil packs and they were in the same place as the one in the diagram I posted...there must be a holder or something bolted there to support them...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
OK...

My 2.5 used the 96 coil packs and they were in the same place as the one in the diagram I posted...there must be a holder or something bolted there to support them...
Ahh after looking at the diagram and researching the coil pack and alternator bthreads are non existent on the 2.5 head looks like i can fabricate a bracket for the coil but idk about alt need to find a solution to that after that ill be good to go i have 3 other parts i have no idea where they go, gonna look on the manual you sent me to see if i can find it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
OK...

Ahhh your repair manual just helped me find a part location already it was the belt tensioner. one down! two to go!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ahhh your repair manual just helped me find a part location already it was the belt tensioner. one down! two to go!
Cool...it can be very helpful...glad you found what you needed...

I posted this image for another member recently and should have looked at it before trying to advise you on the plug routing...:)

It clearly shows my 2.3/2.5 and they used the same routing as what you are using on the 89...I try not to rely too much on my memory...lol

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19270&d=1444101621

EDIT: And just to clarify...the manual was posted by another member many years ago but the password has been changed a few times over the years...it is available through public libraries in North America as a free service but it makes it so much easier when we can access it from our home or garages when we need reference material and the library is not easy to get to or closed.

I post it in my signature because I recommend it quite often and end up providing a link for them...so I just put it there for convenience...:icon_thumby:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

I posted this image for another member recently and should have looked at it before trying to advise you on the plug routing...:)

It clearly shows my 2.3/2.5 and they used the same routing as what you are using on the 89...I try not to rely too much on my memory...lol

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19270&d=1444101621

EDIT: And just to clarify...the manual was posted by another member many years ago but the password has been changed a few times over the years...it is available through public libraries in North America as a free service but it makes it so much easier when we can access it from our home or garages when we need reference material and the library is not easy to get to or closed.

I post it in my signature because I recommend it quite often and end up providing a link for them...so I just put it there for convenience...:icon_thumby:
Thanks that actually helped me find another part, i need to find the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch. i think its the little black one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

Hey Mark! im literally almost fisnished just got to put hoses on. I need you help. do you have a messenger or place i can send you pictures of the engine bay or specific parts also im doing te intake hose thing and i want to make sure i got it right.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Congratulations...I'm sure you have just about mastered the 2.3 level...:)

You can send images via the PM feature on this site as I've done it a few times myself. I don't remember what tags they use but if you go to the login section on the website you will see a "Private Messages" section. There is a drop down menu...easy to use.

Short of that...you can actually make and post YouTube videos in about ten minutes. I posted my first one last month and I was very surprised at how easy the process is. With YouTube there is no worries about hosting or anything like that...just need a G-mail account.

I was going to make a short post about that after I posted my video but I haven't gotten to that yet...there is a recent post by Alwaysfloored (Richard) about hosting sites also if you are interested in posting many images for others...I haven't tried too much since PhotoBucket changed their site around...but as long as I can post directly to TRS it seems redundant now.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Congratulations...I'm sure you have just about mastered the 2.3 level...:)

You can send images via the PM feature on this site as I've done it a few times myself. I don't remember what tags they use but if you go to the login section on the website you will see a "Private Messages" section. There is a drop down menu...easy to use.

Short of that...you can actually make and post YouTube videos in about ten minutes. I posted my first one last month and I was very surprised at how easy the process is. With YouTube there is no worries about hosting or anything like that...just need a G-mail account.

I was going to make a short post about that after I posted my video but I haven't gotten to that yet...there is a recent post by Alwaysfloored (Richard) about hosting sites also if you are interested in posting many images for others...I haven't tried too much since PhotoBucket changed their site around...but as long as I can post directly to TRS it seems redundant now.
Couldnt get a picture sent still hopefully i can find it out, But the question i have is the intake manifold to not have water run thru it, The heater cbox has two hoses coming out the firewall the left side one has the spliter so i removed it do i connect that hose to the water pump or the other hose closer to drivers side, if not do i leave one of them unplug and just sitting there?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can just remove the splitter and connect the one from the box to the hose coming off the water pump. Using a hose joiner will work as I mentioned but it gives you two more potential leak points where you put the clamps on the hose to hold the joiner.

They are best removed in my mind but I learned to carry a joiner in the tool box in case the heater rad blows on the highway and potentially leaves you stranded. The joiner allows you to bypass the heater rad and get home...maybe not warm...but better than paying for a tow when a $5 joiner gets you there.

Are you getting an error on the images that they are too large? Try changing the settings on your camera if you can...really low resolution is all you need...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
You can just remove the splitter and connect the one from the box to the hose coming off the water pump. Using a hose joiner will work as I mentioned but it gives you two more potential leak points where you put the clamps on the hose to hold the joiner.

They are best removed in my mind but I learned to carry a joiner in the tool box in case the heater rad blows on the highway and potentially leaves you stranded. The joiner allows you to bypass the heater rad and get home...maybe not warm...but better than paying for a tow when a $5 joiner gets you there.

Are you getting an error on the images that they are too large? Try changing the settings on your camera if you can...really low resolution is all you need...
heres what im refereing to the left the spliter but where does the right go to?

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
heres what im refereing to the left the spliter but where does the right go to?
I can't really tell from that angle where the hoses are coming from. If there is one that goes around to the intake side of the head that is the one you remove from the 2.5 head because there is no passage into the 2.5 head...

Does that make sense?

Once that is removed then you should have two hoses from the front of the engine to the heater box. Just remove all the hoses that otherwise go to the splitter and intake...

I remember some had a hose running along the valve cover and then splitting to go to the heater box on one side and the intake inlet on the other.

If I can find the image I had of my 2.3 it might help...I took a shot from the passenger side fender looking into the engin bay...they are all on Photobucket and that might only allow you to see one image...I will try to download them...my USB stick recently got wiped out and I lost all my Ranger build pics...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I can't really tell from that angle where the hoses are coming from. If there is one that goes around to the intake side of the head that is the one you remove from the 2.5 head because there is no passage into the 2.5 head...

Does that make sense?

Once that is removed then you should have two hoses from the front of the engine to the heater box. Just remove all the hoses that otherwise go to the splitter and intake...

I remember some had a hose running along the valve cover and then splitting to go to the heater box on one side and the intake inlet on the other.

If I can find the image I had of my 2.3 it might help...I took a shot from the passenger side fender looking into the engin bay...they are all on Photobucket and that might only allow you to see one image...I will try to download them...my USB stick recently got wiped out and I lost all my Ranger build pics...
Im going to check in the morning here and i think i should be able to if not i can send a better picture i know one goes thermostate housing howevervdont know where the other goes where the splitter came from

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14

Does that make sense?

so do both hoses coming from heater box go to something? i think one goes to thermostat housing i havent found where the other goes that i removed the split from, other than that only other problem i have is another pulley for the air conditioner and two wires i have no idea where they go, i will upload a pic tomorow when sunlight comes to provide a full detailed picture.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I finally found the image but it doesn't show much...just the two hoses from the front of the engine going along the side of the engine bay directly to the heater box...there is actually a splitter in there but you can't see it...I put mine right by the firewall close to the heater box so I could keep the hoses out of the way of the engine...much easier to work on that way.

I posted it in my previous response...in case you missed it...:)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
I finally found the image but it doesn't show much...just the two hoses from the front of the engine going along the side of the engine bay directly to the heater box...there is actually a splitter in there but you can't see it...I put mine right by the firewall close to the heater box so I could keep the hoses out of the way of the engine...much easier to work on that way.

I posted it in my previous response...in case you missed it...:)
I see it! thanks! so that confirms the right hose goes to thermostate housing but i need to found out where the left hose goes to, do you know what plug go to oil pressure switch in the back of the head

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals