• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Zimmerman TTB Mod?'s

bubba33code

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering how many people have done this mod? And how long it took on average? What were any problems anybody ran into? And where is the best place to start?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Best place to start is to read up on Will's and 4x4Junkies posts on TTB.

Whatever you saw of the Zimmerman explorer forget about it. It's the worst setup period.

bubba33code

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
can u send post links?

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
hey copycat what is wrong with the zimmerman set up. I was kinda thinking of doing Cut and turned d44 would this not be a good idea?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah Zimmerman did it the wrong way.
The beams are supposed to be modified by relocating the lower balljoint outward, not hacked in half between the pivot and the diff. Doing it at the balljoint not only lessens to some extent the added strain on the center slip-spline, it also gives you some extra clearance under the differential (under the whole axle, actually). It also is more aesthetically pleasing as well.

Modified beams aren't without a few handling drawbacks however. What type of use are you planning on? Crawling? Jumping? Speeding through the desert? Mud? General trails? (like powerline/fire/logging trails?)

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
The beams are supposed to be modified by relocating the lower balljoint outward, not hacked in half between the pivot and the diff. Doing it at the balljoint not only lessens to some extent the added strain on the center slip-spline, it also gives you some extra clearance under the differential (under the whole axle, actually). It also is more aesthetically pleasing as well.

Modified beams aren't without a few handling drawbacks however. What type of use are you planning on? Crawling? Jumping? Speeding through the desert? Mud? General trails? (like powerline/fire/logging trails?)
I will be using my truck for just about everything from desert to snow. So I was thinking the wider front end might help.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Desert use (going fast, jumping, etc.) is where modded beams really shine. Their clearance helps a lot in mud & snow too, so I'd say go for it if those are your primary intended uses.

Crawling (climbing while sidehilling especially) is where modded beams can potentially get you into some trouble though. With the pivot mounted up higher in the chassis, the tendency for the suspension to jack is increased. You also have much more narrowing of the track width when the suspension unloads while climbing a steep hill. For these uses I would recommend keeping the beams stock and instead use a good set of beefy drop brackets (such as Skyjacker's or James Duff's). Your axle being wider will to a small extent offset these drawbacks however.

bubba33code

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

If you do it that way, then isn't your 3rd u-joint put on an angle? I heard it's best to have it as flat as possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals