• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does Microsoft suck so bad?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Laptop worked fine today, it was probably doing the other stuff that my home computer did this morning...

I haven't turned computers off in years unless it's one that is only occasional use...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Same here with windows 8.1. Lost Win 7 after the winldr windows update that bricked the computer. I wanted a new one anyway, so got one with Win 8 and upgraded it 8.1 with a MSDN license. It's my backup these days.

BTW, did you know you can still update windows defender with mpam.exe and scan with the MSRT tool? Both are available for Win 7 - 11.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I'm pretty sure you can turn off automatic updates. It's really not the greatest idea to not be up to date though. Microsoft pushes out monthly security updates I believe. They call it "patch Tuesday", then the hacker types decode the update and make viruses for it and have "exploit Wednesday." There's a ton of things that could be the culprit here. Maybe defragment the disc might help. You could have a bunch of programs running in the background that are taking up all the processing power or memory.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Not in the newer versions (10 & 11+). If you disable the update service, they have the WaasMedicService to undo your changes. You have to take control of the registry key for that service (as an Admin) and deny SYSTEM access to it or WaasMedicService will continue to reset Windows Update to manual start and run when it pleases.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I should try that with the shop computer. It is low in HDD space and Ram. Can I run Forscan through Ubuntu? Or with an emulator?
I have no idea about that but ubuntu is on somethinf like version 28. I did use to have to run wine back jn the day to emulate windows but not being a computer person, it was very hard to get something to work for me

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have no idea about that but ubuntu is on somethinf like version 28. I did use to have to run wine back jn the day to emulate windows but not being a computer person, it was very hard to get something to work for me
Even computer people can have problems with that. Some programs just don’t play well with a windows emulator. I was reminded of that recently with the propriety software for Garmin GPS devices and the various radios I have. None of them worked and one of them cause OpenSuse to crash. I spent the day reloading OpenSuse on the computer yesterday. Good thing I had all the important things backed up. I lost some bookmarks to things but nothing critical.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Most of the issues I've run into lately with Windows 10/11 have been related to disk activity. It seems like nobody is doing decent product testing with traditional spinning disk hard drives. Things that work just fine on SSD's (antivirus products in particular) have become unusable with HDD's.
Because, at this point, hard disk drives are almost legacy status hardware for desktop computers.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Because, at this point, hard disk drives are almost legacy status hardware for desktop computers.
I agree in general, but there are a shocking number of them out there that are all but crippled by the same software that ran decently on them just a couple of years ago.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Man... corporate IT "upgraded" us to Windows 11 on Monday morning, mine was one of 5 computers that glitched half way through where the firewall thought the Windows update was malicious and only got half way through the process, I didn't get a task bar or any computer functions...

Some things in 11 are fine, going to take some getting used to but others like the COMPLETELY STUPID right click menu, I don't need non intuitive images for copy cut and paste, and to not have to click show more options I would have to edit the registry which I am locked out of by IT... all I want to have is the "send to" menu, I don't think that's too much to ask for but microflop thinks otherwise... I want my square corners and short words back, been the same for 20 years, why change now?

Ok, vent over, for now...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Man... corporate IT "upgraded" us to Windows 11 on Monday morning, mine was one of 5 computers that glitched half way through where the firewall thought the Windows update was malicious and only got half way through the process, I didn't get a task bar or any computer functions...

Some things in 11 are fine, going to take some getting used to but others like the COMPLETELY STUPID right click menu, I don't need non intuitive images for copy cut and paste, and to not have to click show more options I would have to edit the registry which I am locked out of by IT... all I want to have is the "send to" menu, I don't think that's too much to ask for but microflop thinks otherwise... I want my square corners and short words back, been the same for 20 years, why change now?

Ok, vent over, for now...
Might be worth politely asking IT if they'd consider disabling the 'Show More Options' by GPO. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people want the normal right click menu back, and that would be an easy change to implement with basically zero risk.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Good point, I'll just send him a link and ask for it, he's a reasonable guy... I was just frustrated, not sure why everything that isn't broken needs to be "fixed" anymore...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Buckle in. your just getting started ;)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been scrapping out a lot of computer stuff to sell for gold recovery and been able to shake a few .previous dis-enchantments with the hammer :D

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Good point, I'll just send him a link and ask for it, he's a reasonable guy... I was just frustrated, not sure why everything that isn't broken needs to be "fixed" anymore...
It's Microsoft. I'm sure there was a legitimate need for the fix but the execution almost always falls on it's face. People and companies keep buying the product. So, they have little incentive to do a proper fix. Until people move to alternative operating systems in large enough numbers, they aren't going to do more than they absolutely have to.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup
Microsoft and Apple
Current leaders in keeping Stockholm syndrome alive
the psychological condition of a victim who identifies with and empathizes with their abuser and their goals
"Just keep upgrading, we will get it right eventually"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals