• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does Microsoft suck so bad?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Holy cow... every windows update lately has made Windows 10 slower and slower using up every resource available, I miss the windows 10 I got used to when it was simple and fast... other than the windows update part of windows 10, the guy that made it forced and decided when your "outside of active hours" are can go jump off a bridge... not that you get a choice since it's automatic and once it decides you need to do an update your computer is completely useless...

Don't get me started on everything being subscription based and needing a bunch of bandwidth to be useful, I have one unit of internet at home at the good times (1mbps) and where I want to be network connection isn't a thing... why rural people get two options for internet (slow cheap DSL or super expensive satellite) and people in cities literally get 1000x faster internet than me is beyond me...

For those that haven't gotten them yet, there's a new one today and my computer at home and one of the work ones decided to do it today, so I just had to vent...

Oh, and the hackers that force all the windows updates to be necessary can get every form of torture that's banned by whatever, all at once, repeatedly, they're making the lives of everyone that uses computers suck...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have one word for you...

Linux

Now I just need to do as I say...lol. I've been using my phone for the last few years. Haven't been on my computer in ages.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Microsloth is all but a monopoly. They have no incentive to to make their operating system better. My primary computer is a Linux system but I do have a laptop with winblows for updating radios and devices.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Holy cow... every windows update lately has made Windows 10 slower and slower using up every resource available, I miss the windows 10 I got used to when it was simple and fast... other than the windows update part of windows 10, the guy that made it forced and decided when your "outside of active hours" are can go jump off a bridge... not that you get a choice since it's automatic and once it decides you need to do an update your computer is completely useless...

Don't get me started on everything being subscription based and needing a bunch of bandwidth to be useful, I have one unit of internet at home at the good times (1mbps) and where I want to be network connection isn't a thing... why rural people get two options for internet (slow cheap DSL or super expensive satellite) and people in cities literally get 1000x faster internet than me is beyond me...

For those that haven't gotten them yet, there's a new one today and my computer at home and one of the work ones decided to do it today, so I just had to vent...

Oh, and the hackers that force all the windows updates to be necessary can get every form of torture that's banned by whatever, all at once, repeatedly, they're making the lives of everyone that uses computers suck...
I almost miss Windows 3.1 and MS DOS 5

I've played with Linux on and off a few times over the years. I just can't seem to get friendly enough with it to make it my main OS. I don't know what my hangup is. I do like my Adobe products for photo and video editing. I've used Gimp. Again, I just can't seem to get to a happy place with it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I use some very odd software for work and it doesn't like change much so I try to leave well enough alone... I miss XP but like some of the features of 10... you could tell windows update on XP to go pound sand and it would just leave you alone indefinitely, best you can do on 10 is 7 days if it will be kind enough to listen to that...

When I posted that I had just ran through it on the work laptop, it had the stupid black popup in the bottom corner, I've learned better than to hit any buttons on it if I have anything to do since it doesn't listen or apply any reasonable logic... so I figured I'd just let it update and restart, took 10 minutes but even an hour later it was using 100% of the hard drive data transfer so it was slow as snot, tried to outsmart it and restart but that took 15 minutes or more, when I left it was still sitting on "windows is getting your computer ready, do not turn your computer off" or whatever lies it was feeding me... I restarted mine at home as I walked out the door this morning, it was trying to force feed me Office 360 which I refuse to pay for a subscription... I'd buy it outright for $100 but not $7 a month or whatever dumb thing they want to force...

Guess I just needed to vent, been a crap couple weeks... on the plus side apparently last week I gave enough stink on a telemarketing call to get on a do not call list for that fake company :), I was getting 10 calls a day, now I'm down to like 3...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's more crap in the air these days than we can ever count, all I can do is wish you well and hope you'll do the same for me

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
ubuntu is a great operating system. its linux based but looks like windows. my kids never knew they were on it when they would mess up their laptops and i just put ubuntu on it instead.

all of the laptops at the house, except the one i just got at christmas for my cycling stuff, are running ubuntu.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
holy cow, got up this morning and my home computer wants to restart for an update AGAIN, yesterday was too long ago apparently...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
ubuntu is a great operating system. its linux based but looks like windows. my kids never knew they were on it when they would mess up their laptops and i just put ubuntu on it instead.

all of the laptops at the house, except the one i just got at christmas for my cycling stuff, are running ubuntu.
I should try that with the shop computer. It is low in HDD space and Ram. Can I run Forscan through Ubuntu? Or with an emulator?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive still got a computer that runs Windows 95 :)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I ran ubuntu in Highschool when I built my PC. Most of the things I wanted to do were not supported by Linux so I ran Wine to emulate win7.

I have not had too much issue with windows 10 updates getting in the way. There is a way to stop them from happening. My work computer has updated disable on Win10.

My home PC is still the same one I built in highschool, just updated every once in a while. Almost never use it, once every few months. When I want to use it I will turn it on and let it spend a few days updating. Like you said, those updates will spike the disk usage and kill your ability to do anything. I recently installed a second hard drive to store all the videos and movies, two drives at 50% capacity is much more efficient then one drive at 95% capacity.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I ran ubuntu in Highschool when I built my PC. Most of the things I wanted to do were not supported by Linux so I ran Wine to emulate win7.

I have not had too much issue with windows 10 updates getting in the way. There is a way to stop them from happening. My work computer has updated disable on Win10.

My home PC is still the same one I built in highschool, just updated every once in a while. Almost never use it, once every few months. When I want to use it I will turn it on and let it spend a few days updating. Like you said, those updates will spike the disk usage and kill your ability to do anything. I recently installed a second hard drive to store all the videos and movies, two drives at 50% capacity is much more efficient then one drive at 95% capacity.
I keep having to move photo and video files off my main computer and onto portable ssd’s

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Most of the issues I've run into lately with Windows 10/11 have been related to disk activity. It seems like nobody is doing decent product testing with traditional spinning disk hard drives. Things that work just fine on SSD's (antivirus products in particular) have become unusable with HDD's.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Most of the issues I've run into lately with Windows 10/11 have been related to disk activity. It seems like nobody is doing decent product testing with traditional spinning disk hard drives. Things that work just fine on SSD's (antivirus products in particular) have become unusable with HDD's.
McAfee really slows me down. I used to use Norton. But they got really bad.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
McAfee really slows me down. I used to use Norton. But they got really bad.
If it's an option for you and you haven't already done so, try swapping your boot drive to an SSD. For us, that's resolved the frustration in nearly every case for clients.

I haven't dealt with Norton or McAfee in a while. We were generally using Webroot, but it's pretty atrocious with HDD's. Bitdefender seems to be a bit better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals