• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Whining" Sound...Need to figure what it is!

ecmoteen2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this website, but I sure hope someone could possibly help me. I'm copying a message I sent to someone in an email about a problem my 1993 Ford Ranger is having. It's making a "whining" sound, sounds more like it's coming from the transmission, please read and help if you can! Thanks!

This is the deal with my truck, I hope you can help me out. I’ve already taken the truck to a mechanic to fix, and he didn’t “fix” it. Now I need to figure out what’s causing my problem so that I can take it back and have him fix it.

My truck is a 1993 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L 5speed standard cab 2WD; base model stuff. When I have the truck in gear and accelerate, you can hear a unusually large “whining” sound. Doesn’t sound like a “grinding” sound or anything; but more like a high-pitch whine. When you go to shift gears, once you push the clutch in, the sound goes away completely, drop it to second, release the clutch, and then the sound returns. This happens in all gears except 4th, which I can’t hear it in 4th but I can on all the others. I got the mechanic that did the work to get into the truck and we went up the street and he immediately said it was my main front bearing in my transmission and that it would be better to replace the transmission, which would be true, if that’s what was the problem. Anyways, so he put in a newer transmission with significantly lower miles, and it makes the EXACT same noise, no different, no louder, no softer, same. People here at work suggest it be my Universal Joints, others think throw out bearing, but I’ve pretty much ruled out a throw out bearing because if those are bad, you would only hear them when you push the clutch IN, but for me, that’s when the sound goes away…I’ve also took the belt off on the engine and drove up the driveway in first gear, still makes the same noise, so I can pretty much rule out the front end of the engine with the pulley’s and everything. I have also tried flushing out the rear end and refilling with full synthetic, no leaks, so that’s good. PLEASE HELP! Any information is greatly appreciated!!!

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
did you have a new clutch kit put in when he changed the tranny? i have never had a throw out bearing make noise with the clutch disengaged . i have one in a car that is bad and it only makes noise with my foot off the pedal.

ecmoteen2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, new clutch and slave and master cylinders were installed this time last year. can't remember exactly when i started to hear the sound. shouldn't be the throw out bearing because if it was bad, then i would hear it when i push the clutch IN...but when i do that, that's when the sound goes away.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i have never heard one make noise when you shove the clutch in. i have had many go bad from cars to semi tractors. and every one stopped making noise when you put pressure on the clutch pedal. just try it, don't push it down all the way and see what it does.

ecmoteen2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I tried that, and the sound goes away once the clutch is being pushed in. So it sounds like the whine is coming when the engine is working and "twisting." I can't figure this thing out...doesn't vibrate or grind. I stuck a rod through the engine compartment to touch the front of the transmission housing and rev the truck up in gear while off the ground to make the sound, and it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in that area, but i don't think it would be the transmission because this one is 3 years newer, way less miles, and plus the truck is making the EXACT same pitch in sound when driving. I don't get it...

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it's all gears except 4th, and only under load, it's probably a front bearing on the countershaft or the input gear and cluster gear. Those gears can be taken out quickly if the oil has ever been low or contaminated. Where did the second transmission come from? It's possible it was pulled for the same problem.

Drain your transmission oil and check the magnet and fluid for metal, water, and sludge. Also check your fluid level before you drain it. If it's not on-level with the fill hole it's low. If the oil comes out anything other than brand new and clean, that mechanic owes you another transmission.

In any even you should take it back to that mechanic. If he sold you a transmission that didn't fix the problem, he either needs to give you another that will, or refund your money.

Stephjohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this website, but I sure hope someone could possibly help me. I'm copying a message I sent to someone in an email about a problem my 1993 Ford Ranger is having. It's making a "whining" sound, sounds more like it's coming from the transmission, please read and help if you can! Thanks!

This is the deal with my truck, I hope you can help me out. I’ve already taken the truck to a mechanic to fix, and he didn’t “fix” it. Now I need to figure out what’s causing my problem so that I can take it back and have him fix it.

My truck is a 1993 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L 5speed standard cab 2WD; base model stuff. When I have the truck in gear and accelerate, you can hear a unusually large “whining” sound. Doesn’t sound like a “grinding” sound or anything; but more like a high-pitch whine. When you go to shift gears, once you push the clutch in, the sound goes away completely, drop it to second, release the clutch, and then the sound returns. This happens in all gears except 4th, which I can’t hear it in 4th but I can on all the others. I got the mechanic that did the work to get into the truck and we went up the street and he immediately said it was my main front bearing in my transmission and that it would be better to replace the transmission, which would be true, if that’s what was the problem. Anyways, so he put in a newer transmission with significantly lower miles, and it makes the EXACT same noise, no different, no louder, no softer, same. People here at work suggest it be my Universal Joints, others think throw out bearing, but I’ve pretty much ruled out a throw out bearing because if those are bad, you would only hear them when you push the clutch IN, but for me, that’s when the sound goes away…I’ve also took the belt off on the engine and drove up the driveway in first gear, still makes the same noise, so I can pretty much rule out the front end of the engine with the pulley’s and everything. I have also tried flushing out the rear end and refilling with full synthetic, no leaks, so that’s good. PLEASE HELP! Any information is greatly appreciated!!!
I am having the same problem with my 1991 Ford ranger 2wd stock. I know the transmission was leaking before I bought it but the guy had told me he fixed. The problem by replacing seals I believe. I've had the truck for 3 months and it just started doing this whining while accelerating couple days ago. Was wondering if the last person that replied to you was correct with his diagnosis cuz you never posted if that worked. Plz let me know. Ty

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Is it your power steering pump?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Is it your power steering pump?
That would happen all the time. Not just 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears.

I agree with what @ thegoat4 said.

Also, make sure the proper oil is being used in the transmission. The m5Od takes atf.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals